• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Tipping hotel van drivers

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The VAST majority of people who posted that they don't tip are regional pilots. I'm sure they are those that do and that there are mainline pilots who don't. Ask the next van driver at a hotel that both regional and mainline use who generally tips the best.

I think most regional pilots tip. The real problem lies with regional management's low cost hotel process. They cut deals that allow the hotels to schedule multiple pick ups and no assurance that their crews are given prompt service is required. I have been told by managers that our crews are not given any rides to food establishments etc, because our managment pressed for a cheaper hotel deal. Same thing about free breakfasts, etc. I was loudly informed that I was not welcome at a breakfast buffet that had been free a week earlier because our management gave it up for a one dollar reduction in the rack rate. It cost me 9 bucks including the TIP...... Pilots like to bash each other..... try saving it for the true scumbags at corporate....

Ask the next van driver at a hotel that both regional and mainline use who generally tips the best.

I sure as heck hope the Comair crew didn't tip her a dime after her leaving them high and dry. And I am sure you probably tipped her after getting back from the restaurant. Give yourself a pat on the back for tipping her while she left a Comair crew at the airport.

I tip if I feel that the guy deserves one, more then 80% of the time we are waiting on the van, it should be the other way around.

The VAST majority of people who posted that they don't tip are regional pilots. I'm sure they are those that do and that there are mainline pilots who don't. Ask the next van driver at a hotel that both regional and mainline use who generally tips the best.

80 for 80,

Now that you've impressed us all.. How much do you tip?

Van Driver:
Maid:
Server:

I tip everytime the service is good. You ride the van & they help with the bags, they are decent & safe, you tip the driver.....I think it's that simple. "Extra" rides or stops at the 7-11 or out of the way places OFCOURSE!

I will, however, agree with the driving like crap/unsafe/or just plain @**hole behavior doesn not deserve a gratuity.

I notice when crews don't tip. Says a lot about someone's character, IMHO.

-FW

TIP!! You bunch of cheap Asses!! If $6 on a 4 day trip is going to set you back, then you definatly need to look for another job, I cant believe the things I'm reading here.....If the guy/gal is a jerk thats a different story, but even at the worst regional $6 = 20 min. pay. for a whole 4 day!! Come on people

TIP!! You bunch of cheap Asses!! If $6 on a 4 day trip is going to set you back, then you definatly need to look for another job, I cant believe the things I'm reading here.....If the guy/gal is a jerk thats a different story, but even at the worst regional $6 = 20 min. pay. for a whole 4 day!! Come on people

$6? Do you not tip the maid either?

Wow. Just wow. I am a tightass. Meeting someone for drinks? I'll try to pick a time and place its happy hour. Ordering pizza? I'm looking for coupons or deals before deciding who I'm going to call. Trying to eat out on the cheap- I'll go for a takeout place so I don't have to tip.

But for the love of god, people, not tipping because you chose to take a job that doesn't pay as much as you'd liek to make? Not an excuse. I tip anytime they're on time or throw my bags, as long as long they're reasonabley nice. If you've got looser or tighter requirements for a tip, thats fine, but some of the logic here is just wonderful. Who cares what the airline has contracted with the hotel to do? Why on earth would that absolves you of an obligation to tip? If you don't think the drivers should be tipped thats one thing (that I don't agre with), but if you have to go through those kind of macsinations to justify it yourself, then it probably means you're wrong. I'm sure some of these drivers who do 3 crews at once contantly all day long (like the MCO example) make good $ doing it, but at least at the regional level most most of the places I've stayed ahven't had more than a few crews per night. Even in places that do a lot of crews, I'm not exactly sure why that would justify a stiff- do you stiff waitstaff at nice resturants less becuase they make more than the average waiters?

well it it is the regional board.... most of the people who posted here are probably going to be regional pilots...

Now no, im not a regional FO with frist-year pay, but I think that you should tip the driver if he/she has done his/her job correctly. I.E. got you where you needed to go safely and helped welcome you to where you are. My mother is a F/A and when I was younger I used to go on trips with her. From that experience as a kid I make my choices now. When I get to the 121 world I'll tip the guy a couple bones when he makes me happy. Thats it.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back