Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Three questions about the Q-400 trim and deice system.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Here's an idea, howabout they read the stimulus package on the air all the way through, that'll kill some airtime instead of drawing conclusions from their "experts"

Here's an idea, howabout they read the stimulus package on the air all the way through, that'll kill some airtime instead of drawing conclusions from their "experts"

LOL !

Unfortunately they can't just read the NTSB report. Every news cast only gives them enough time to basically give an outline of what was said. They pick and choose what parts to report. Then they have to translate it for the general public. THAT is where we get so many damn idiiots like the 300 hour CFI with no turbo-prop time to report their expert opinion.That is how the news works and no matter what we do it won't change. All we can do is give them the correct outline to report. So, THEY don't pick and choose but we guide them to choose the correct parts of the story. Yes, the pilots ARE going to be brought into this and that is because of the auto-pilot and the arm chair quarterbacks will always ask if they should have had it on when it was recommended not to by the ntsb. These are people that never fly and have no idea what they are talking about. I am trying to get into the ear of the producers to at least make it balanced at the very least.

Okay thanks! So unless you are looking at the trim wheel you would have no idea the autopilot was moving the trim?
I think you would hear the trim wheel. I remember from my jumpseat experiences on the 737 that the trim wheel made plenty of noise while in motion. I can only assume the 767 is the same.

I think you would hear the trim wheel. I remember from my jumpseat experiences on the 737 that the trim wheel made plenty of noise while in motion. I can only assume the 767 is the same.

Yea the 737 does make noise so the pilots know it is in motion. The 767 doesn't make a sound I am told from a 767 captain. I am curious to know the Q400 makes any audible sound or not.

It makes a very light clicking sound that you can only hear if you are really listening for it.

Great, so if autopilot was engaged, the plane took on ice and kept the trim wheel moving to compensate that would be pretty obvious to the crew right? Because common sense tells me if the trim was going more so then normal the crew would notice it and wonder why. However, if the click wasn't working the crew would have little knowledge of what was happening. I wonder if the click is something that can fail or if it is a mechanical device.

Your a Q400 pilot what is the media getting wrong about a possible cause. I know we all need to find out what the final NTSB report says but in the meantime is there anything you can give me to divert this from pilot error? I hate seeing them being hung out to dry like this.

Have you had the same deice disconnect that I have heard from others?

Icywings,

You obviously have no idea of what you are speaking about. I sincerely believe you are trying to pawn yourself off to some news department as an aviation expert.

The only facts are those provided by the NTSB. That's it.

I've always wondered how they found these aviation "experts" to interview. From your posts, I believe you're the one approaching them. Are you trying to compensate for your own lack of experience or what.

Please let the NTSB do their job and let these people rest in peace.

Your a Q400 pilot what is the media getting wrong about a possible cause. I know we all need to find out what the final NTSB report says but in the meantime is there anything you can give me to divert this from pilot error? I hate seeing them being hung out to dry like this.

Have you had the same deice disconnect that I have heard from others?
What has everyone else here been telling you? Tell your friend to read the NTSB report, thats it.
Now you're here asking a pilot to give his OPINIONS!
Are you slow? did you lick the windows on the short bus?
The medias "aviation experts" are a joke in itself. Are you trying to one up those guys? Are you trying to replace one of them?
You wonder why no one wants to answer you.

Latest resources

Back