• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

This is terrible news for all minority applicants

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I would have thought he should get the same training as everyone else.

I would love it if this guy really was black! But the fact is, he is not! He is a childish white male age 40 to 50 with summers off and nothing to do except stir people up. I don't know how many here have ever gone on the Yahoo Finance Message Boards for Delta, but there is a clown on there that goes by the screename bobofly777lr (just do a google search on his screename). Bobo, who actually is a school teacher who lost his medical certificate 20 years ago spends hours, months, years doing this crap! His name is Martin. I would bet anything that this clown is one in the same. I will see if a friend of mine can look up his IP address. Every dork screename he has used before all have the same IP address.

In any case browntothebone, you blacks discriminate against yourselves more than any white person does. What would boos think if I opened a TV station called White Entertainment Television? How about if I started the United White Person's College Fund? If you can't pass a test, or pass a sim ride, I say hit the road. I don't give a crap if you starve. Go rob a liquor store,you all are good at that! A Negro's Brain is a Perfect Thing To Waste!!

I'll chime in just a little here on this "not smart black guy thing", just on the off chance that the folks who posted that junk are actually serious.

Jared Diamond in "Guns, Germs and Steel" (a fantastic book) makes this point (I am paraphrasing, obviously):

Cultures who have not progressed far beyond stone age technology are, on average, MORE intelligent than their light skinned, industrialized counterparts. Living in the fashion they do requires that they know thousands of plants and animals, be able to navigate the wilds unfailingly without the benefit of modern aids and take part in sophisticated social structures (be they egalitarian or more stratified). They simply posses a different sort of intelligence suited to their environment. If they were "stupid", natural selection would have taken care of them long ago.

Blacks in this country have plenty of natural intelligence. They simply refuse to grow their culture beyond one of victimhood which reveres out of wedlock children, gangster violence and bling at any cost.

Actually, there's a more historically scientific reason that Blacks on average are more physically fit than others in America. It has to do with the breeding arrangements during times of slavery. Those who were more fit were choosen or allowed to mate.

Bull$hit. Nobody had even heard of the NFL back then.

Did anybody happen to listen to Colin Herd yesterday on ESPN. He brought up a similar conversation about SEC Football, and why it is so dominant compared to the rest of the nation and related it to Obesity. (Fat people mostly live in the South) It made me think.

Why are sports so dominated by African-Americans when it comes to Football and Basketball. Professional Sports are seen as an easy way out of what may be described as a deplorable condition.

So student athletes focus on Sports, get a scholarship to play in college, don't focus on their academics (not all, but many), and when their elegibility is up, or they don't complete their degree in time, they are left with no or little education to compete in the job market with. The cycle then continues for another generation.

Made me wonder.

I know I'm violating my own advise here, but, I think the best way to make this thread die is to leave it alone. It was started by a flame bait troll and continued by human filth like A$$carpe. I will not be posting to this one again and I recommend everyone else do the same.

Out.

I know I shouldn't but here goes.

I saw a TV spot a few years ago. A black, female UAL captain was saying how she is so proud she can be an inspiration to young black girls, yada, yada, yada.

My first thoughts were, "What were your qualifications when you got hired? Did someone else more qualified lose out solely because of gender/race?"

So, either she was less qualified than another and got the job because of race/gender - affirmative action; or,

She was highly qualified, educated and paid her dues yet a bystander could assume otherwise - because of affirmative action.

Either way it's unfair.

Did anybody happen to listen to Colin Herd yesterday on ESPN. He brought up a similar conversation about SEC Football, and why it is so dominant compared to the rest of the nation and related it to Obesity. (Fat people mostly live in the South) It made me think.

Why are sports so dominated by African-Americans when it comes to Football and Basketball. Professional Sports are seen as an easy way out of what may be described as a deplorable condition.

So student athletes focus on Sports, get a scholarship to play in college, don't focus on their academics (not all, but many), and when their elegibility is up, or they don't complete their degree in time, they are left with no or little education to compete in the job market with. The cycle then continues for another generation.

Made me wonder.

I'll chime in on this from an ex-college athletic perspective. I do agree you; I just want to go a little further with it. Forgive me if I veer off this is a very sensitive topic for me. What the outside world doesn't see is how much work we put in to be a college athlete. It has nothing to do with race. Maybe on the first day when move in and meet each other for the first time, that’s when all the cultures collide. You have guys from every section of the country and states. For many it’s the first time they truly have to work/live with someone that is different than them and where they came from. That normally goes away in the first week.

First thing you have to realize is that in college talent gets you nowhere. At that level everyone has talent. The only reason it looks easy is because the person lining up with or against you have just as much talent as you do. So you have to work harder than the next guy. It doesn’t matter what he or she looks like. What you don’t see is that we athletes strive to do better and be the best at everything we do. As an athlete we were up at the gym at 5am to lift weights for nearly 2+ hours then start a full load of classes. At 3:30 we had to return to the field to practice for another turns out to be 3+ hours, and maybe a night class after that. We had to find time to eat, do labs, and study. During the season it was very often that we would travel on a Thursday night to X city, to be ready for game day. Not to return until late Saturday night or Sunday morning after traveling all night. We had to cram the full load of classes in 4 days or less. Normally tests were given on Thursdays or Fridays while we were gone, some of the professors didn’t want to give what they called “special treatment” so we had to take the test on a Wednesday or Thursday before the rest of the classes. Many times they were the alternate much harder tests. Can this be a form of discrimination?

The reason why many of us didn’t or don't finish in 4 years is because as freshman we have what they call a red-shirt season (freshman year). Also some athletes end up with a season ending injury and may get a waiver to compete an extra year. The injured athlete is not off free for the remainder of the year, they may spend the same amount of time if not more in rehab trying to get back to a position where they can compete. They also spend more time helping out there brothers (teammates). It can be watching film, working on positions and forms, or even kicking it up in the tutoring sessions. Many athletes that showed up didn’t need tutoring, most of the time we were there just to support each. Yes, there were a hand full that probably should have showed up that didn’t. Regardless we were there if they needed.

Many athletes are not of privilege families. They are able to afford the universities they are at and the education they are receiving because of the athletic scholarship they were awarded. During the off season many also have normal jobs that they are limited as to how much they can make before the NCAA chimes in. Yes sometimes our GPA’s will take a hit. Many still end up with outstanding GPA’s. I am sure a 4.0 is easy if mommy and daddy are paying for my education and all I had to do was sit in a room and read all day. If an athlete don’t perform on the field they can loose there scholarship. Without the scholarship they would have to leave the university and return to the place they left. They were times they had to leave to take care family members they left behind because of personal family issues. When they returned to their homes they were looked at as a disappointment, but if they stayed they would be selfish. They had to choose between raising there family or staying in college. I saw this happen every year. How is that for pressure?

Long story short when you see an athlete all you see is the end result of blood, sweat and tears. Athletes are not afraid of hard work or competition because that is who we are.

This goes for all athletes it doesn’t matter what race, creed or color they are. It’s a true brotherhood. I hope that this sort of attitude will find its way into our pilot ranks.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply Rob. I sat next to a student-athlete one day on the plane. He was a lineman for a Div 1 program. Poor guy didn't even fit into a first class seat he was so big. Anyway, he was a walk-on for football, but at school under an academic scholarship. He eventually dropped off of the Football team because he was worried he was going to lose his scholarship (academic one). The long hours were interfering with his study time.

College was challenging enough without having to prepare for a sports program. Anyway, your comments sounded like a football program. Curious as to what your background was, and where if you don't mind sharing.

I'll chime in on this from an ex-college athletic perspective. I do agree you; I just want to go a little further with it. Forgive me if I veer off this is a very sensitive topic for me. What the outside world doesn't see is how much work we put in to be a college athlete. It has nothing to do with race. Maybe on the first day when move in and meet each other for the first time, that’s when all the cultures collide. You have guys from every section of the country and states. For many it’s the first time they truly have to work/live with someone that is different than them and where they came from. That normally goes away in the first week.

First thing you have to realize is that in college talent gets you nowhere. At that level everyone has talent. The only reason it looks easy is because the person lining up with or against you have just as much talent as you do. So you have to work harder than the next guy. It does'n’t matter what he or she looks like. What you don’t see is that we athletes strive to do better and be the best at everything we do. As an athlete we were up at the gym at 5am to lift weights for nearly 2+ hours then start a full load of classes. At 3:30 we had to return to the field to practice for another turns out to be 3+ hours, and maybe a night class after that. We had to find time to eat, do labs, and study. During the season it was very often that we would travel on a Thursday night to X city, to be ready for game day. Not to return until late Saturday night or Sunday morning after traveling all night. We had to cram the full load of classes in 4 days or less. Normally tests were given on Thursdays or Fridays while we were gone, some of the professors did’t want to give what they called “special treatment” so we had to take the test on a Wednesday or Thursday before the rest of the classes. Many times they were the alternate much harder tests. Can this be a form of discrimination?

The reason why many of us did'n’t or don't finish in 4 years is because as freshman we have what they call a red-shirt season (freshman year). Also some athletes end up with a season ending injury and may get a waiver to compete an extra year. The injured athlete is not off free for the remainder of the year, they may spend the same amount of time if not more in rehab trying to get back to a position where they can compete. They also spend more time helping out there brothers (teammates). It can be watching film, working on positions and forms, or even kicking it up in the tutoring sessions. Many athletes that showed up didn’t need tutoring, most of the time we were there just to support each. Yes, there were a hand full that probably should have showed up that didn’t. Regardless we were there if they needed.

Many athletes are not of privilege families. They are able to afford the universities they are at and the education they are receiving because of the athletic scholarship they were awarded. During the off season many also have normal jobs that they are limited as to how much they can make before the NCAA chimes in. Yes sometimes our GPA’s will take a hit. Many still end up with outstanding GPA’s. I am sure a 4.0 is easy if mommy and daddy are paying for my education and all I had to do was sit in a room and read all day. If an athlete don’t perform on the field they can loose there scholarship. Without the scholarship they would have to leave the university and return to the place they left. They were times they had to leave to take care family members they left behind because of personal family issues. When they returned to their homes they were looked at as a disappointment, but if they stayed they would be selfish. They had to choose between raising there family or staying in college. I saw this happen every year. How is that for pressure?

Long story short when you see an athlete all you see is the end result of blood, sweat and tears. Athletes are not afraid of hard work or competition because that is who we are.

This goes for all athletes it doesn’t matter what race, creed or color they are. It’s a true brotherhood. I hope that this sort of attitude will find its way into our pilot ranks.

Good post, I hope the same as well. I do take exception with one point above in red. I did not come from a privileged family nor did almost all my friends in our aviation program. We all had part time jobs and took out 40-60k in loans to pay for school. The loans allowed us to work at a level that didn't grossly interfere with our studies. Yes it was hard working nights and taking classes but the loans are available to almost everyone. Rare cases of mommy and daddy having money but won't let you have some can put people in a bind in getting loans but that is not the case more often than it is. Point being to many people want school to be free(money from parents or scholarships) and not take loans out. Yes, sure that would be great. But to blame the lack of coming from a privileged family as the reason someone couldn't attend college is a cop out. Not that that is what you are directly saying but it does point in that direction. The money is there, the problem is you have to pay it back. It's not free. Hence I see too many people come up with this as an excuse as to why they can't attend college. Its bs. Its nothing more than this entitlement virus that has spreed like wildfire among the younger generations.

Latest resources

Back