Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

The Skybus Innaugural flight yesterday....

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Red, Sorry if I misjudged you or took your previous posts wrong.

Well said vedepo.
Aren't you a little quick to add the -400 to your 'resume' or did you fly it somewhere else already?

finishing training now. who's this?

#210 on the seniority list. I go to training on 7/2.
I was just busting your chops a little! Enjoy the sim.

Just because you can fly a plane does not mean you should work for any company you want. We have a culture that most would not fit. The b-tching and complaining...yea we have it here....but rare. Flying an airplane is not hard...the job we do is not hard. Being a good person is not hard...fun to hang out with is not hard. Finding the person that meets all the above....well it seems to be hard. I won't even go into personal apperance. Is he the big overweight guy that can't fit into his suit. You are also selling an image with a company. Face it, you have to look the part as much as act the part....this will open up an new can of worms. I have a friend who has a brother who is 5'10" tall at a regional airline...a bottom feeder who is about 330 lbs. I told him noone will hire him unless he loses some weight and does not look like Jared did before subway. I dirgress...I forgot...my life sucks.

I agree with all your points, however.....I have witnessed plenty of SWA Captains wheeling their guts and their bags through terminals. As a whole, not the healthiest looking bunch although that applies to all airlines.

Pretty interesting thread. My take is that as long as pilot groups keep voting to lower their own bar, carriers like Skybus have the ability to lower it even further. Can't really blame the Skybus pilots when all the other organized pilot groups have bent over and taken in the butt on their own pay.

Pretty interesting thread. My take is that as long as pilot groups keep voting to lower their own bar, carriers like Skybus have the ability to lower it even further. Can't really blame the Skybus pilots when all the other organized pilot groups have bent over and taken in the butt on their own pay.

People seem to forget that this is simply a supply and demand market. There are way more pilots looking for jobs than their are positions to fill. It's a technical skill that is frankly not that difficult to learn if you put in your own time and money to build hours. People are still attached to the days when an airline job was a winning lottery ticket. My Dad joined TWA in 1968- the glory years. Those are gone now. Nobody is really bending over and taking it in the butt. Instead, they are merely getting paid what the economics dictate they are worth. I hate to burst anyone's bubble but as long as there are way more pilots willing to work for less, and there always will be, these salaries will continue to go down. If I was starting up an airline, why the hell would I consider any other option in my business plan. Same thing with teachers. There's a reason doctors and lawyers get paid so much (most, not all). You need to go to school for a long time and be a lot smarter than the average joe. That's not true for airline pilots. There are still places you can go and fly without a college degree. Fact is, it's a trade skill, much like fixing a car or an air conditioner. Yes, you have the responsibility of passenger's lives but the fact is, the training and technology eliminates most of that risk. My advice, get an MBA like me! Off soapbox.

People seem to forget that this is simply a supply and demand market. There are way more pilots looking for jobs than their are positions to fill. It's a technical skill that is frankly not that difficult to learn if you put in your own time and money to build hours. People are still attached to the days when an airline job was a winning lottery ticket. My Dad joined TWA in 1968- the glory years. Those are gone now. Nobody is really bending over and taking it in the butt. Instead, they are merely getting paid what the economics dictate they are worth. I hate to burst anyone's bubble but as long as there are way more pilots willing to work for less, and there always will be, these salaries will continue to go down. If I was starting up an airline, why the hell would I consider any other option in my business plan. Same thing with teachers. There's a reason doctors and lawyers get paid so much (most, not all). You need to go to school for a long time and be a lot smarter than the average joe. That's not true for airline pilots. There are still places you can go and fly without a college degree. Fact is, it's a trade skill, much like fixing a car or an air conditioner. Yes, you have the responsibility of passenger's lives but the fact is, the training and technology eliminates most of that risk. My advice, get an MBA like me! Off soapbox.

This is the only post worth reading today...now where can I get Grandma Schwetty's ball recipe?

People seem to forget that this is simply a supply and demand market.

No argument there. It's a great cycle to watch. Think about it...it won't be long till we see the (insert airline) + 1% bag stickers again!

Remember that? Geez, I'm cracking myself up...

good luck out there!

There's a reason doctors and lawyers get paid so much (most, not all). You need to go to school for a long time and be a lot smarter than the average joe. That's not true for airline pilots. There are still places you can go and fly without a college degree. Fact is, it's a trade skill, much like fixing a car or an air conditioner. Yes, you have the responsibility of passenger's lives but the fact is, the training and technology eliminates most of that risk. My advice, get an MBA like me! Off soapbox.

Doctors make alot of money because insurance pays them, if our our medical system was competitive (thank goodness it's not!!) then prices would go down!
Hopefully, doctors would not go out in the free market and compete with low wages, you would wonder about the trade off in the care and treatment you actually get.

They are "paid protected" in a sense and the only factor they worry about is malpractice insurance so they don't lose the benz when they get sued.

We are our own worst enemy, sad but true.

Glad you got the MBA, good for you. Did you get the soap box with the diploma?;)

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back