Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

The Skybus Innaugural flight yesterday....

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
65k for an Airbus Capt and 30k for an F.O.? Wow. Learn from the Starbucks' barista and don't forget to prime your tip jars!

Oh, and you'll see this on the Skybus lavs!

10005%7EPay-Toilet-Posters.jpg

It all comes down to economics. $10 base fare for an airline ticket. Wow that is cheap. Even if you add in 12 bucks for taxes you are looking at under $25 one way. $50 for a round trip. Yes you have to plan because there are only a few seats available; that is called marketing. SWA did it, Jet blue copied it. Delta song tried it......... heck they all tried it but the cost structure (employee pay) was a big problem. Lower the pay / benefits / inflight perks and you get more affordable tickets.

I think they call it supply and demand, the free market, its called FREEDOM, its what this county was built on and all the cry babies are pooh poohing it. If you do not like it go start your own airline and try to compete, and when you do PM me so I can send in my resume. I am looking to make 100K+ plus benies, and I only want to work Tues - Thurs. Out and back only. Thanks in advance for the job.........:beer:

If I did start an airline I wouldn't hire former Shame-Train pilots THAT is for sure !!

A couple of points (1) those $10.00 fares are "introductory" fares. They`ll go up, with a very small number of seats at $10.00. Just enough to sucker folks in. (2) Why do doctors make so much? Because the AMA controls the number of spots in the med schools. (3) Lawyers? Don`t get me started on that bunch. Avoid all of these blood suckers if at all possible. ( He says that after paying his daughters way through law school...she saw the light and quit "practicing" law...and married a doctor)

A couple of points (1) those $10.00 fares are "introductory" fares. They`ll go up, with a very small number of seats at $10.00. Just enough to sucker folks in. (2) Why do doctors make so much? Because the AMA controls the number of spots in the med schools. (3) Lawyers? Don`t get me started on that bunch. Avoid all of these blood suckers if at all possible. ( He says that after paying his daughters way through law school...she saw the light and quit "practicing" law...and married a doctor)

Oh my God....I don't know how many times it has to be said that every flight at least has ten $10 seats on it. It's been said from day one....no secrets about it. They aren't going to go away even though you would be hard pressed to find many $10 seats left. The $10 thing will just be one of the things they're known for. Even if you don't get to grab a $10 seat, the next set has a decent amount of seats for $30, then $50 and so on. It's all yield management which every airline does....Skybus just starts theirs lower.

Last edited:
Oh my God....I don't know how many times it has to be said that every flight at least has ten $10 seats on it. It's been said from day one....no secrets about it. They aren't going to go away even though you would be hard pressed to find many $10 seats left. The $10 thing will just be one of the things they're known for. Even if you don't get to grab a $10 seat, the next set has a decent amount of seats for $30, then $50 and so on. It's all yield management which every airline does....Skybus just starts theirs lower.

Yup.....just like a real airline........only "LOWER".......

Ok guys, DISCLAIMER: THIS IS NOT FLAME BAIT....really

I have been out of the country for a few months, and have noticed Skybus are hiring and posting ads online. Could somebody please explain to me why a lot of pilots out there view Skybus pilots as scabs and there's a no-fly list or something they are on?

Why? I dont get it. Right now I get 52K working in a 'management' type job in aviation ...read, "I'm a pilot and should be flying but my boss is a f(*&^(* liar and I am stuck behind a desk, not getting what I was promised", poor me.....now, for an opportunity to go fly an Airbus and get paid 65K....hell, thats a step up for me, a big one. It will improve my QOL, living in LA whare its bloody expensive, I get more jet time etc etc

So why is this airline and its pilots viewed with so much animosity by others? Are these pilots stealing jobs from furloughed or laid-off pilots like the Cathay thing a while ago? Whats going on here? Didnt we all start out with a fresh CPL, wanting the big job, working towards getting that dream job, building time we need, until we get to where we 'thought' we wanted to be. Face it, there is no more plces where you want to retire...just places you work and maybe get a good pension.

Please somebody explain to me why going to work for Skybus will ruin my future, as opposed to going to Continental or Netjets or Kalitta or anybody else.

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Ok guys, DISCLAIMER: THIS IS NOT FLAME BAIT....really

I have been out of the country for a few months, and have noticed Skybus are hiring and posting ads online. Could somebody please explain to me why a lot of pilots out there view Skybus pilots as scabs and there's a no-fly list or something they are on?

Why? I dont get it. Right now I get 52K working in a 'management' type job in aviation ...read, "I'm a pilot and should be flying but my boss is a f(*&^(* liar and I am stuck behind a desk, not getting what I was promised", poor me.....now, for an opportunity to go fly an Airbus and get paid 65K....hell, thats a step up for me, a big one. It will improve my QOL, living in LA whare its bloody expensive, I get more jet time etc etc

So why is this airline and its pilots viewed with so much animosity by others? Are these pilots stealing jobs from furloughed or laid-off pilots like the Cathay thing a while ago? Whats going on here? Didnt we all start out with a fresh CPL, wanting the big job, working towards getting that dream job, building time we need, until we get to where we 'thought' we wanted to be. Face it, there is no more plces where you want to retire...just places you work and maybe get a good pension.

Please somebody explain to me why going to work for Skybus will ruin my future, as opposed to going to Continental or Netjets or Kalitta or anybody else.

Thanks in advance

How can that not be flame bait?
Have you actually read what most peoples opinion is on the subject around here? If you have, you would not need to ask the question.

That said, do what you have to do. It's your shoes you have to wear.

It comes down to pay and benifits. An Airbus captain should be making at least $100,000. Skybus is only paying captains $65,000.

Most of us are trying to keep the flying jobs, good paying jobs. While others are happy to lower the bar.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back