• Watchers 46

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
filejw said:
I'm not a big fan of flying over sixty just cause I am lazy and don't want to be forced too.But on my last trip I had a 39 yr old try to land our wide body sideways after the previous leg trying to make the airport from about 12 miles out at 10000'.Trip before a 33 yr old F/E thought taking off with fuel pumps off would be OK.Having been a line and sim check guy for many yrs that losing skill thing is way overblown.

Exactly, A 60 year old with years of experience more than makes up for any supposed physical degradation. A cocky younger pilot is more of a hazard than an older experienced one.

Here we go again. Around and around and around and around and around and around. Again, around and around and around and around.

What about abortion rights and the right to life?

What about the death penalty, is it constitutional? Moral?

For those of you that argue 60 is an arbitrary age, so is age 65 of 67. What's the difference. In 5 years those that are approaching the new age limit, that are not financially set do to bad luck or bad planning, will be compaining again.

Most of you guys are smart enough and have enough skill to do something more productive than flying airplanes.

Spooky 1 said:
So far I have not seen any examples, but I would acknowledge that there may be some, I just have had them pointed out. In the mean time there have been numerous accidents where the crews were in an age bracket that certainly would have precluded anything ever happening if age alone was such an important factor.

I've posted two such accidents on this board. We've had this discussion before. Don't you remember? Is this selective memory on your part, or is this just further proof that your mental acuity deteriorates with age?
I suppose you also believe that people have the right to drive motor vehicles until the day that they die. Sure, there are some octagenarians who drive very well. But plenty of them are, IMHO, more dangerous than a 15 year old with a learner's permit.

Stan said:
For those of you that argue 60 is an arbitrary age, so is age 65 of 67. What's the difference. In 5 years those that are approaching the new age limit, that are not financially set do to bad luck or bad planning, will be compaining again.

Most of you guys are smart enough and have enough skill to do something more productive than flying airplanes.

I can't think of anything that would pay me as much, with so much time off and some good times thrown in for good measure than what I am doing at 60+ right now.

The best argument for increseing the retirement is the CVR transcript of the Pinnacle accident. "DUDE"

Last edited:
For those who support the change - how do you feel about right of return for those already retired? The surrent rules doesn't include it and no one seems to support it. That tells me that this is about what is good for YOU. Those who scream about how unfair it is (the current rule) don't really care about what is fair, they just want what is best for them.
For the record I do think the rule is unfair, but any change needs to mitigate the damage THAT WILL BE DONE to the younger pilots' careers. Perhaps we let folks stay on and fly as FOs. That way those who really need the money can get it, and those who are just greedy will probably bail.

waaaaa waaaaa...my airline trashed its pension...i am divorced 5 times....the stock market....the war...bottom line...afford the same benefit to upgrade as you were afforded to the junior pilots

Get mad, talk bad, even hate others.

Doesn't matter. Age 60 will die. May only go to 62 but will likely to phase into age 65.

Stan said:

Two of the big differences are Social Security and Medicare, and at what age you can start taking benefits.

You second sentence also makes no sense. As I said previously, I'll be gone at 60 or sooner if it works out with this airline, but I would like to have the option to continue if it doesn't. George Bush, the wacko, could easily go postal on Iran or some other made up threat and there goes this job. Or maybe the bird flu scare turns out to be real and most worldwide travel comes to a screeching halt.

Fox Hunter said:

I have no doubt that some approaching age 60 are having some problems. You will find these individuals also had the same problems as they approached age 25, 30, 35, 40, 45, 50, 55.

Nice to group everybody in one bunch, huh :mad: I generally have a lot of time for what you say on this board, but this statement is just too naive to let go without a comment. I was putting money into an IRA as soon as I could and, coincidentally, when everybody else was buying a new sportscar. Try spending years on furlough and see what that does to your finances. Some of us aren't so lucky as to be with one carrier for our whole careers, or at least most of it.

Typhoonpilot

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back