• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

The RJ returns to Airtran...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Not sure what is so groundbreaking about this partnership (see article title)... Airtran contracted with AWAC using CRJ's before. I'm not sure what is exactly revolutionary here. I do think this highlights Airtran's commitment to MKE, as in Airtran does not want to fully devote it's resources to MKE, but rather it wants to throw some airplanes at the market just long enough to chase RAH out. And in this case, the market in MKE is really so small that Airtran can't justify putting a large aircraft on some of these MKE routes. Putting CRJ's up against 135's and an occasional 170 just doesn't seem like a battle worth fighting, especially when CRJ's are not a part of your current fleet. Heck, even the 135's are flying with plenty of empty seats. Increasing capacity on an already thin route by more than 100% just doesn't seem like a sound idea. But then again, I was not hired for my business background. Bottoms up... let's toast the return of over-capacity and profitable business models being abandoned in the quest for that increase in market share. Hooray! It's the year 2000 all over again!

The difference here is that the commuter flying will be done "at risk" by Skywest. The former AWAC contract was a "fee per departure" contract. This is a sweet deal for AirTran, if the flying makes a lot a revenue, they get a piece, although a smaller piece than a "fee per departure" agreement. If the flying loses money Skywest has to take the loss and supplement the flying with revenue from other carrier contracts.

Not sure what is so groundbreaking about this partnership (see article title)... !

....................................................................................... replace CRJ200 with a 110 seat Skywest jet. It is ground breaking and the next era of regional feed has began. With Skywest and RAH, our regional leaders, at the forefront. Let's all hope us little guys have enough money to buy 100 seaters of our own to compete.

Heck, even the 135's are flying with plenty of empty seats. Increasing capacity on an already thin route by more than 100% just doesn't seem like a sound idea. QUOTE]

When I flew Airtran back in September from STL to MKE both ways the flight was fully booked.

I fly for Skywest and I'm not impressed. This shows how desperate we are for flying. This flying is here today gone tomorow if Skywest doesn't make money.

I'm betting gone tomorrow (or by summer/fall)

Since the deal is not fee for departure is there a contract term involved? If it does not pan out or Airtran decides to put their planes on routes because of pax loads how easy will it be to toss skywest away?

Latest resources

Back