• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

The RJ returns to Airtran...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I guess you could say that. MKE-PIT/STL/IND are all routes that were flown with jets that are now going the flown by Skywest RJs. All in all though, I think you are going to see the RJs going head to head to cities served by Republic RJ's on the former Midwest routes to put an end to Republic's power grab.

Those Airtran routes from MKE, are they going to all be done by RJs or are they going to put them on flights in between that arent as full and keep the bigger loadouts on Airtran planes?

The difference here is that the commuter flying will be done "at risk" by Skywest. The former AWAC contract was a "fee per departure" contract. This is a sweet deal for AirTran, if the flying makes a lot a revenue, they get a piece, although a smaller piece than a "fee per departure" agreement. If the flying loses money Skywest has to take the loss and supplement the flying with revenue from other carrier contracts.

you hit the nail on the head here. Airtran is drooling at the opportunity to stick it to Republic any way they can. If they can do that with zero risk, then why not?

These airplanes are also much cheaper than the AWAC planes circa 2002, also. As far as I'm concerned, this is a brilliant move by Skywest. If it works, expect more doors to open.

I fly for Skywest and I'm not impressed. This shows how desperate we are for flying. This flying is here today gone tomorow if Skywest doesn't make money.

Thus the reason they aren't re-opening a crew base in MKE. These flights will be flown by ORD based crews.

These airplanes are also much cheaper than the AWAC planes circa 2002, also. As far as I'm concerned, this is a brilliant move by Skywest. If it works, expect more doors to open.

Brilliant by Skywest? Mmm...too early to tell.

I think Airtran is the winner, Republic the loser with this news.

Go AirTran!!!!!!!

I sure hope they can nail Republic and drive them under! They seem to be going stright for the throat!

-Go big, or go home!

you hit the nail on the head here. Airtran is drooling at the opportunity to stick it to Republic any way they can. If they can do that with zero risk, then why not?

I think the only brilliant move you can make with a 50 seat jet these days is to back 2 of them into each other, and take the insurance money. Better than flying or parking them.

Latest resources

Back