• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

The Dreaded Training Contract

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The OP needs to log off FlightInfo and contact an attorney. Quit trying to hash around ideas with people here. Nobody on FI is a qualified attorney in these matters & you are wasting your time posting on this subject.

C

thats good advice, and thats what i did. I was told when it comes to a promisary note, that i'm stuck with what i have. unless of course i want to pay up. which i do not, even if i did have the money, i really don't want to pay that man 2 grand that he does not deserve.

i went back and looked at all of the "training" i did at the company. i only flew 11.4 hours including my checkride. we only had 3 days worth of ground school. the rest of the time i flew was on checkruns, while he was making money. so in review. the PN is worth $6000. the way i figured it, my flight training was only worth AT MOST $3000. you might be able to agure that the money i made while i was in training could be counted. but that very very minimal, i promise you.

I have decided to stay on with the company until the end of summer. thanks for the input everyone

Integrity?

What a joke- All this talk about honesty and integrity. Remember we are talking about what comes out to be a minimum wage job when you add up all the time the company abuses you.This is my third career and ive never seen a promissary note to come work for somebody. All it is is a upper hand to take advantage of you for a year. The question is do you want the experience bad enough? Do what I did, My first day on the line with my employer (who I had a contract with) I started my networking and next job search. If the next job enables you to pay the contract off over time, take it. My contract said nothing about how long or how much per month to send. I bet if you just send $50 a month the company will probably go out of business well before you put a dent in the balance. Also if the company wont type you, Pay the difference and get one. It will help get you out of the scumbag 135 world. Hours dont mean anything. If you have a type and some experience and most of all, a pleasant personality you will have no problem getting a great 91 job soon. Good Luck!

Contracts pain

Training contracts are a problem, you either enforce them with the full power of the courts, which takes time and money, or you let them become worthless because you do not uniformly pursue every broken contract. Good companies don’t need training contracts, we got rid of ours three years ago and it has not really effected turnover. Good pay, honoring days off ,good training and operational control will retain pilots better than a training contract.

Last edited:
Good companies don’t need training contracts, we got rid of ours three years ago and it has not really effected turnover. Good pay, honoring days off ,good training and operational control will retain pilots better than a training contract.

We definitely agree on this pilotyip; most importantly the days off and I would add to that list an adequate number of them. It is incredible how many "managers" with their usual self proclaimed "X number of years of aviation management expertise" never seem to understand this basic factor toward employee retention... QOL

PFT not mentioned at interview

The current company i work for had me sign a promisary note and it isn't forgiven untill a year is past. The amount that i have to pay if i leave is far more than it cost to train me. I may have a better job come around, and if that happens i want to take it. Has anyone here run into people with the same kindof problem? And if so, how did they delt with it? THANKS!!!

Had an interview with an outfit in 2005,a new PT.135 on-demand charter outfit out of GMU,no mention at all was made of ANY PFT.When reporting for training,they sprung it(the PFT)on us,myself and one other pilot.The cost was $6500.00.If you left BEFORE ONE YEAR,you owed them the FULL AMOUNT!!!The type of aircraft to be flown:SR-22 Cirrus.The outfit name is SATSAir!!! Go figure!!!

The Cirrus SR-22 is a SE-piston aircraft.Is the amount($6500.00) worth it??
Do not think so!!!

Last edited:
So did you pay it, or did you go elsewhere?

treatment of pilots

So did you pay it, or did you go elsewhere?

After what was mentioned in a previous posts about PFT and no mention of it in an interview,you don't really believe this is ethical treatment of pilots do you?????

What about firing pilots that interview with other companys(companys other than the one a pilot is currently employed with)??Would you consider this as ethical???? I certainly would not under any circumstances!!!!

What does this say about the ethics of mgmt that employs these tactics????
I believe most pilots would say not much!!!

Last edited:
After what was mentioned in a previous posts about PFT and no mention of it in an interview,you don't really believe this is ethical treatment of pilots do you?????

I'm too busy this weekend to look up your old posts on the subject, but I certainly hope you laughed in their face and told them to take their job and stick it where the sun don't shine. I just asked because I didn't know, and you ended your story before you posted that piece of information.

What about firing pilots that interview with other companys(companys other than the one a pilot is currently employed with)??Would you consider this as ethical???? I certainly would not under any circumstances!!!!

What does this say about the ethics of mgmt that employs these tactics????
I believe most pilots would say not much!!!

Now where on earth did you pull this one out of? G-Spot, lay off the sauce please. It's a little early in the afternoon, don't you think?

I'm not about to defend management I've never met or worked for... I'm just answerable for my own flight dept. Doesn't sound ethical to me, but I wonder if that was the only transgression that led to the firing. Either way, you should never let mgmt know you are interviewing for another job as they'll generally take it personally, and if you haven't been the best employee they'll probably find a way to let you go. This is just common sense.

Knowing the facts

I'm too busy this weekend to look up your old posts on the subject, but I certainly hope you laughed in their face and told them to take their job and stick it where the sun don't shine. I just asked because I didn't know, and you ended your story before you posted that piece of information.

Now where on earth did you pull this one out of? G-Spot, lay off the sauce please. It's a little early in the afternoon, don't you think?

I'm not about to defend management I've never met or worked for... I'm just answerable for my own flight dept. Doesn't sound ethical to me, but I wonder if that was the only transgression that led to the firing. Either way, you should never let mgmt know you are interviewing for another job as they'll generally take it personally, and if you haven't been the best employee they'll probably find a way to let you go. This is just common sense.

Hey Dude,get UN-BUSY and read those posts,then you will see why I had to say the things that I said about SATSAir/Rhino Aviation(Look-up this thread).I was unhappy about being put under DURESS just so I could work.How would you feel in that situation,dude???

To answer your question,I made some remarks about desiring to fly turbine eqippment and wondering how a charter customer paying $400-$600 dollars /hour in SE piston aircraft is going to work in the long run as a viable business.(I do not think it can)Since I was overheard by spys at TACAir @ GMU(FBO employees),I got my walking papers.The spying part has been confirmed by other posters on this website!!!!

I should have enough facts to prove conspiracy,which might result in a litigation against those AH's at TACAir/Rhino Aviation/SATSAir

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back