Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Jpilot23

YAY!!
The current company i work for had me sign a promisary note and it isn't forgiven untill a year is past. The amount that i have to pay if i leave is far more than it cost to train me. I may have a better job come around, and if that happens i want to take it. Has anyone here run into people with the same kindof problem? And if so, how did they delt with it? THANKS!!!

Usually that new job is just slightly better than the one you are in. A year is really not that long of a time anyway and considering the lead time on getting hired at that "next" job, you could conceivably start interviewing for another gig about 9 months after the signing date, or about the length of an NHL season. Without knowing specifics, unless that next job is throwing gear on G-V for $120k per annum, you are probably better off sticking it out with the training contract.

The larger question is, why are so eager to move on? When you interview at other jobs down the road, they may want to know why you left that job 4 or 5 months after getting hired. Most companies probably won't care, but some will.

When a training contract is in place, part of your salary NEEDS to go towards a fund that could be used in the event you need out. Just like a personal emergency fund for your family, training contracts require emergency funds for the day you need to eject. It's real simple if folks spend 5 seconds doing some financial planning in this aviation business!

AZT

You owe me

I don't think you read it very carefully, but by posting yet another thread about training contracts, you are liable to all who read it for the total amount of the training contract, multiplied by the number of posters who have previously posted the same thread. I'll take my payment in cash.

Training contracts are a reality in todays world. You are not forced to sign, there are a lot of jobs. If you like the job, sign it, if not, find another job. Sign the contract there instead. Or burn your previous employer so that they feel the need to put training contracts in to place.

I for one do not feel sorry for anyone who takes a job knowing there is a contract, and then gets in a position where they want to break it.

Training contracts are a reality in todays world. You are not forced to sign, there are a lot of jobs. If you like the job, sign it, if not, find another job. Sign the contract there instead. Or burn your previous employer so that they feel the need to put training contracts in to place.

I for one do not feel sorry for anyone who takes a job knowing there is a contract, and then gets in a position where they want to break it.

wow its just that easy huh? there are thousands of jobs out there for you to get and just pick one that doesn't have a training contract.....brilliant!

I knew my bed when i made it, i'm just looking for a way to get out of it without paying, and continue on to a better job.

Last edited:
My point exactly. Agree or not, contracts are everywhere. There is a long running thread on the charter line about it. You want out, either pay up, or lawyer up. I'm sure a lawyer would defend you to your last dime. How long do you have left?

The fact you want to jump ship so quickly is exactly what the training contract is there for. You are reinforcing the very thing you do not like. Would you have received the new offer without the training you just received??

The current company i work for had me sign a promisary note and it isn't forgiven untill a year is past. The amount that i have to pay if i leave is far more than it cost to train me. I may have a better job come around, and if that happens i want to take it. Has anyone here run into people with the same kindof problem? And if so, how did they delt with it? THANKS!!!

Jpilot, if I were hiring and it came down to a person who was obligated financially to his/her current employer, I wouldn't hesitate to pay off a promissory note to bring on the person I wanted.

You might bring this up early in your conversations with a prospective employer. It would speak well of your ethics.

Good luck.

ethics???

The guy just said that he knowingly signed a year contract and is planning on breaking it after 5 months..... It seems like the boat his "ethics" were on sailed long ago.......

Latest resources

Back