The culture of the managment determines the safety level

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Semore Butts

This was just aired on Fox news regarding the Colgan flight.

Seems as if society is starting to look at how the company is managed as opposed to just saying Pilot Error, Pilot Error, Pilot error!!!!

People are starting to say, "why did they error"?

I didn't get the exact quote, it is 05:20 in the morning.

Take care, Semore

I watched that this morning to. But not recovering from a stall properly, I would have to say is pilot error. I do believe they had ice build up also which added in that.
Also hiring capts off the street doesn't help when you are new to an aircraft and low time. I sent fox and friends an email saying they need to have a mini story series for a week telling the public how much commuter pilots and others really get paid and how these companies are run. Seems they think because the FO didn't get paid enough also would cause a crash. Thats such such BS. Its time for the media to expose how much pilots really make and what we go through just to get a good job.

This was just aired on Fox news regarding the Colgan flight.

Seems as if society is starting to look at how the company is managed as opposed to just saying Pilot Error, Pilot Error, Pilot error!!!!

I didn't get the exact quote, it is 05:20 in the morning.

Take care, Semore

I agree with what you are saying here, but in this case it really is pilot error.

By the time you are flying large aircraft your recovery from a stall should be automatic. I don't care how long your commute was or how tired you are, one should be able to recover from a stall. The fact there were goofing off during the approach is the reason they did not see the stall coming in the first place.

Other than paying closer attention to the Captains training failures, I don't see how management could have changed much to prevent this one.

Don't narrow in on that accident O2B.

That situation is just what brought it up.

Airline safety has improved alot over the years.

Where could we go in the next generation of making air travel safer?

Policing up rest and duty days maybe?

Taking the emphasis off of profits in the short term? (This is managements gig, not pilots)

(I know it always boils down to money)

I was just pointing out that John "Q" Public is becoming more aware of the flying environment they are in.

Good luck to you all in this haphazard environment. Semore

The answer is off the street Captains, new rules 5000TT to be an airline Capt, must be typed in at least 3 different airplanes, no age limit.

Who says he actually pulled back on the control column? AE 4184 had control issues that came from ice build up. It may be that the change in pitch associated with flap exentions caused an airflow pattern that forced the controls back. Don't rush to judgement so fast.

That's true. Coulda been a tailplane icing issue.

But still.

The jet I fly has the same tubes as the Q400. It just amazes me that someone, regardless of fatigue or regardless of the fact that he's a 47-year-old doofus distracted beyond all reason by the fact that he's sitting beside a 24-year-old hottie FO--could miss that red line marching up from the bottom of the speed tape.

The answer is off the street Captains, new rules 5000TT to be an airline Capt, must be typed in at least 3 different airplanes, no age limit.

Ah...........

no.

Who says he actually pulled back on the control column? AE 4184 had control issues that came from ice build up. It may be that the change in pitch associated with flap exentions caused an airflow pattern that forced the controls back. Don't rush to judgement so fast.

The Q400 does not have reversible controls on the elevator, only the ailerons. I could be wrong, Q400 drivers correct me. In that case the control column would not snatch with the control surface.

Latest resources

Back