The culture of the managment determines the safety level

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Yip,

Back in the 80's... we had this little saying at 3rd MAW we had to say at the conclusion of every flight brief...
"Safety is paramount... no mission in peace time is so important it must be flown at the expense of safe and sound operating procedures. Doing it right is what counts."
That's how the culture of management promotes safety. We still had accidents but no one was pressured to go.

Do you think being on call for 10 to 20 hours on a 30 minute callout ... (not knowing if you will be flying early am, late evening or late at night) and then flying freight for 12 hours part 135 ... and then fly 6 hrs back to home plate part 91 at night to low ceilings and a Detroit snow storm is a sound operating procedure? Just so the plane could be back in case there is another trip for the next crew?

Some managements do.

Last edited:
Safety is something that management has proven time and time again that they don't care about when profits are at risk. Colgan management has proven that with the schedules, work rules, and salaries they approve. Profits > Safety.

Record speaks for itself

Yip,

Back in the 80's... we had this little saying at 3rd MAW we had to say at the conclusion of every flight brief...
"Safety is paramount... no mission in peace time is so important it must be flown at the expense of safe and sound operating procedures. Doing it right is what counts."
That's how the culture of management promotes safety. We still had accidents but no one was pressured to go.

Do you think being on call for 10 to 20 hours on a 30 minute callout ... (not knowing if you will be flying early am, late evening or late at night) and then flying freight for 12 hours part 135 ... and then fly 6 hrs back to home plate part 91 at night to low ceilings and a Detroit snow storm is a sound operating procedure? Just so the plane could be back in case there is another trip for the next crew?

Some managements do.
The Falcon operated under some tuff schedules that are true. That is now we stayed in business with the highest wages and best benefits, days off in the on-demand business. I know being the best of the bottom dwellers in not something to brag about. I wanted the DA-20 crews to have the best training and support available order to operate safely. In fact most of my former pilots who work with you have reported your training is sub-USA Jet standards. If a crewmember was too fatigued to take a trip, they were excused from the trip. No questions asked. If conditions at the destination were marginal and the pilot did not want to go to that airport, we looked at alternate solutions. Our problem was the pilots wanted to push the envelope; a missionitis would start to creep in. That was a bigger problem than management pushing. They were a great bunch of pilots. The DA-20 safety record speaks for itself, no accidents, (expect the bird strike one, that was deemed an act of god and unavoidable, crew walked away from it, well ran would bebetter) incidents or violations in the 12 years I was involved in the program. Doing it right is what counts and that is the way I wanted those crews to operate. That is safety BTW "Safety is paramount... no mission in peace time is so important it must be flown at the expense of safe and sound operating procedures" My CO had different ideas about flying around Vietnam, the only allowable mission abort criteria is an uncontrollable wing fire, if you put it out continue the mission" He was serious, put a couple PPC's in hack for aborts after an engine failure, said our airplanes flew very well on three engines.

Last edited:
I thought you were going to ignore me?
regardless of your ignorant posts I feel that is right that we all should try to steer you in the right direction. You have a lot to learn and we are willing to help.

You need to understand that that dipatch, sales, management and the owner all have their own ideas about safety. But the bottom line is safety stops at the PIC. Right or wrong that is the way it is. I wish i could indulgde you more but the safety issues rests there.

Last edited:
Now we are getting somewhere

regardless of your ignorant posts I feel that is right that we all should try to steer you in the right direction. You have a lot to learn and we are willing to help.

You need to understand that that dipatch, sales, management and the owner all have their own ideas about safety. But the bottom line is safety stops at the PIC. Right or wrong that is the way it is. I wish i could indulgde you more but the safety issues rests there.
The last para sounds like a civil discourse from which to start a discussion on safety. You are right the PIC is where the rubber meets the road in safety. The culture of the company will determine how much of the safety decision falls upon the PIC. The FAA has a crew rest rule to make you legal to fly a revenue trip, the company has policies to ensure that these FAA regs are followed. Management should ensure that thses policies are followed in the interest of safety. But the PIC is the only one who can determine if he is prpperly rested for that flight.

Since we are trying to discuss safety, something very dear to my heart, what is your definition of safety and how is it achieved?

Safety has no specific definition in my eyes. There are so many factors that come into completing a safe and legal flight, you can boil it down to a definition. I leave that kind of BS to lawyers.

Its my ass sitting with my passengers in that tube at FL410+. I put value in the opinions of my dispatchers and mechanics, but when it comes down to it, its my decision if that plane leaves the ground. Its my responsiblity if something gets borken, its my responsiblity if someone dies. So, if I have the slightest doubt as to the well-being of my plane, my crew, or my flight....its NO GO!

almost civil

Safety has no specific definition in my eyes. There are so many factors that come into completing a safe and legal flight, you can boil it down to a definition. I leave that kind of BS to lawyers.

Its my ass sitting with my passengers in that tube at FL410+. I put value in the opinions of my dispatchers and mechanics, but when it comes down to it, its my decision if that plane leaves the ground. Its my responsiblity if something gets borken, its my responsiblity if someone dies. So, if I have the slightest doubt as to the well-being of my plane, my crew, or my flight....its NO GO!
Under what conditions would you elect not to fly when everything is in complience with the regs? Not questioning your decision process, just wondering what condition would cause canceelation not covered by the reg.

Latest resources

Back