• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

The Bashing Begins

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
It sounds to me like the captain hit his early 40's, enrolled in a flight academy with a bridge program to Colgan and upgraded into the Q400 with barely 100 hours in the airframe. Yikes. To top it off, he failed 5 rides along the way.

Capt. Renslow, 47, joined Colgan in September 2005 after graduating from a pilot-training academy, employment records show. He had a history of flunking check rides -- periodic tests of competency that are also required anytime a pilot begins flying a new type of aircraft. Before joining Colgan, he failed three proficiency checks on general aviation aircraft administered by the FAA, according to investigators and the airline.

GA busts are too subjective to be counted on as proper examination of an applicant. Some DE's are in for the busts and the money. Total conflict of interest.

121 rides are way more indicative of a pilot's skill than those GA rides.

It sounds to me like the captain hit his early 40's, enrolled in a flight academy with a bridge program to Colgan and upgraded into the Q400 with barely 100 hours in the airframe. Yikes. To top it off, he failed 5 rides along the way.

Yea. Makes you wonder if Colgan was his only choice.... I have to say that failing one tprop training is not all that unusual as an initial. Not only is it harder to learn if you only have a few hundred hours of airplane experience but if the company has little resources then it makes it that much harder. Plus failure rates for Tprop upgrades I'm assuming are high as well so it could have been that he just had bad luck. He did pass the Q400 upgrade training.

GA busts are too subjective to be counted on as proper examination of an applicant. Some DE's are in for the busts and the money. Total conflict of interest.

121 rides are way more indicative of a pilot's skill than those GA rides.

True but if he failed three at the GA level, then he must have failed two at Colgan. That kind of pattern leads me to believe he should have seriously contemplated a different career change. As said a few posts above, not everybody is cut out for this job, no matter how much money they have to throw at it.

5 busted rides, you get 5 re-trains and 5 do-overs. 1 bad bust in real life, you, your passengers and crew end up dead. Of course pilots with perfect records can do the same thing, and everybody can have a bad day in the box, but given this info, these failures cannot be dismissed as contributing factors.

True but if he failed three at the GA level, then he must have failed two at Colgan. That kind of pattern leads me to believe he should have seriously contemplated a different career change. As said a few posts above, not everybody is cut out for this job, no matter how much money they have to throw at it.

5 busted rides, you get 5 re-trains and 5 do-overs. 1 bad bust in real life, you, your passengers and crew end up dead. Of course pilots with perfect records can do the same thing, and everybody can have a bad day in the box, but given this info, these failures cannot be dismissed as contributing factors.

Agreed.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/30683954/

"The newspaper found that Renslow had failed in his first attempt to qualify as a co-pilot in the Beech-1900 aircraft and he had to re-do his check-ride to upgrade to captain of a Saab 340-TurboProp. Colgan's spokesman told the Journal that the company believes Renslow failed to fully disclose that poor performance when applying for a job."

Just passing on info at this point.

GA or not, 5 busts is absolutely unacceptable. Checkrides aren't hard to pass. They test to minimum standards. If you fail to meet minimum standards - 5 times, perhaps you aren't cut out to be a pilot, let alone a professional pilot.
Perhaps that is the problem with "zero to hero" puppy mills. They train for a checkride. Nothing more, nothing less. The ability to pass a checkride is a very small part of what is required to be a good pilot. Unfortunately, academy students cheat themselves out of any chance to learn from a truly old and wise pilot. It is babies teaching babies.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/30683954/

"The newspaper found that Renslow had failed in his first attempt to qualify as a co-pilot in the Beech-1900 aircraft and he had to re-do his check-ride to upgrade to captain of a Saab 340-TurboProp. Colgan's spokesman told the Journal that the company believes Renslow failed to fully disclose that poor performance when applying for a job."

Just passing on info at this point.

thanks for the info! its kind of hard to believe! the NTSB report out yet?

GA or not, 5 busts is absolutely unacceptable. Checkrides aren't hard to pass. They test to minimum standards. If you fail to meet minimum standards - 5 times, perhaps you aren't cut out to be a pilot, let alone a professional pilot.

Let's say 1 CFI bust since it's what 70-90% fail depending on where you are. 1 for a screwing up an approach or 8's on pylons who knows. Busting a captain upgrade - I've seen a captain bust for forgetting to tell the "ground crew" to disconnect the GPU before pushing or for misidentifying a hung start as a hot start. CRM doesn't really exist for type rides. I've seen a 20 yr UPS captain bust a PC. Things happen.

The more I think the more I come up with. A guy busted his type ride in a 727 for dragging an outboard flap/wingtip on landing. The DE even said he knew it was a sim glitch but had to bust him anyway.

I guess everyone here has the last name Yeager or Hoover.:cool:

Last edited:
So you are saying it is OK to fail 5 check rides? Sure I can understand busting the CFI for 8's on or whatever, but 5 checkrides???
In this industry, we are trained to detect a chain of events (mistakes), and break that chain before it leads to an accident. I would say 5 failures is a good start to that chain...
If my opinion makes me a Yeager or Hoover, fine. We need more Yeagers and Hoovers.

Latest resources

Back