Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

ksu_aviator

GO CATS
The news channels are starting to bash the captain of the Colgan crash. Apparently he failed 5 checkrides in his life. The implication is that he should have had his lively hood taken away from him. They don't point out that he must have passed the checkride on the next time through.

The guy messed up. Whether or not past checkrides were an indicator of any poor future performance, it looks as though his actions and inattention caused the crash and loss of lives. Why tip toe around that. The plane didn't crash itself. I'm sorry it happened, but lets be real here.

And don't flame away on me. Can I make a mistake? Yes. Have I? Yes. But it looks as though these are the facts here.

Wonder in the CVR Transcript if the FO told the Captain to watch his speed? Its a crew up there and for two people that are on an approach wouldn't you think that somewhere in the scan somebody would have noticed the airpseed.

This sad, very sad.

And why did he fail? Piloting skills? Maybe not.

A lot of Capt. checkrides are flunked these days for "crew management" issues. Perhaps he had a weak F/O that sim day and they couldn't get stuff done. Don't automatically assume a failed airline checkride is due to lack of stick and rudder skills.

If you fail 5 checkrides you should have your livelihood taken away from you if your livelihood includes sitting in the left seat of an airplane flying paying passengers around. Not everybody who wants to do this job should do this job. It has turned into a "profession" where anybody who can qualify for a $60,000 loan is allowed to be an airline pilot. That's not a good thing.

Last edited:
so i guess a dr who inadvertently kills someone shoudlnt be allowed to practice-- how may times have the wrong limbs been amputated?

and a lawyer who allows a guilty man free and a not guilty man jailed should be disbarred?

and tilton who loses billions shoulde be fired?

GMAFB.

SKIPPY

Latest resources

Back