Takeoff Mins/Pinnacle Ops Specs

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Exactly.

In the ideal world, completly flat with no obstacles, we could rely entirely on the op specs to provide our visibility requirements.

With a temporary obstruction, a notam will be issued about a tempory increase in takeoff mins. (you read all your notams right?)

Here is one for KAGS... TAKEOFF MINIMUMS: RWY 35, 300-1 1/4 OR STANDARD WITH MINIMUM CLIMB OF 356 FT PER NM TO 500. TEMPORARY CRANE 5505 FT FROM DEPARTURE END OF RWY, 324 FT LEFT OF CENTERLINE, 200 FT AGL/320 FT MSL. TEMPORARY CRANE 6057 FT FROM DEPARTURE END OF RWY, 1262 FT LEFT OF CENTERLINE, 200 FT AGL/355 FT MSL. ALL OTHER DATA REMAINS AS PUBLISHED.

Now at airports that have permanent obstructions (mountains, buildings, towers) you have permanently higher mins, and those are published in the jepps. I again go back to the Williamport PA (IPT) example. Runway 27 requires 500-1 due to a mountain to the west. The interesting thing about IPT is that it also has a ceiling requirement. This is because a VMC climb must be made to a heading of 300 after takeoff.

You guys saying that the Op Specs supercede the Jepp numbers... Are you willing to depart runway 27 at IPT with 1/4 vis with a fed sitting in your jumpseat? Your Op Specs say you can with adequate visual reference, but the jepps say you need 500-1.

I busted out my GOM and the ops specs say that for non published takeoff minima I can go all the way down to 600 RVR provided I see certain things out the front window.

It also says that if published take off minima is standard or less than standard that I can still go down to 600 RVR depending on what I see out my front window.

KAGS with the temp notam I can still go down to 600 RVR provided I can meet that climb gradient.

KIPT I have to go with whats published cause there is no cimb gradient given which could take the min down to "standard"

So are you saying that at South Bend you can take their single 1000RVR report from a single RVR reporting station and turn that into situation where you will go with visibility that is less that what is required on the back of the 10-9 page.

it could very well be:
touchdown RVR 1000
midpoint RVR 0
rollout RVR 0

This may be one reason that KSBN has a higher min of 1600RVR, because they are relying on only one RVR report.

I still say you can not disregard the Jepp charts, it is there for a reason.

I won't join the 'debate' about what you can or cannot do - but I will say this:

I find it no less that incredible/appalling that you can not agree on such and important thing.

This raises a whole lot of issues that have nothing to do with takeoff minimums. Issues that are far more serious.

I can only wonder as to what other 'disagreements' might be out there. Is safety really that much in doubt?

WOW!

KAGS with the temp notam I can still go down to 600 RVR provided I can meet that climb gradient.

KIPT I have to go with whats published cause there is no cimb gradient given which could take the min down to "standard"

I used the KAGS notam because I knew they had the notam and I could find it quickly. I am sure there are airports out there with the same kind of notam without the climb gradient qualifier.

My questions for you in this case...
1. Do you think your op specs can override a notam increading t/o vis requirements?
2. If you can't override a notam that was issued because of a temporary obstruction, how can you override a published miminum issued because of a permanent obstruction?

Ha Ha Ha, this is hilarious. I just read my op specs, fom, and faa docs on this matter and they all contradict each other! Some contradict each other within the same document!

Does SBN have a SMGCS chart? If not I don't think 121 air crews air allowed to taxi below 1200 RVR!

Nope. You don't need a SMGCS chart to taxi below 1200 RVR. If it is <1200 and SMGCS procedures are in effect, then you use the SMGCS chart. It's like holding short of the ILS critical area. Only do it if you're told to.

For example, all those small 121 airports with one runway and one parallel taxiway. Do you really think you need a SMGCS chart to figure that one out? :)

So are you saying that at South Bend you can take their single 1000RVR report from a single RVR reporting station and turn that into situation where you will go with visibility that is less that what is required on the back of the 10-9 page.

it could very well be:
touchdown RVR 1000
midpoint RVR 0
rollout RVR 0

This may be one reason that KSBN has a higher min of 1600RVR, because they are relying on only one RVR report.

I still say you can not disregard the Jepp charts, it is there for a reason.

No I'm not saying that I can dept SBN with only one 1000 RVR report. I'm just saying that even though 1600 RVR is on the back of the Jepps I can go all the way down to 600 RVR if certain criteria are met. For me anything below 1600 RVR requires at least 2 working RVRs at or above the "next threshold" so for me the thresholds are 1600 RVR-1/4sm....1200 RVR....1000RVR....600RVR, each of which require different things to be seen out my window.

I know for a fact that we disregard the back of the Jepss unless they are higher than standard. The training dept makes a point to tell us that. They said it in New hire 5 years ago and again in every recurrent, upgrade, downgrade, etc class I've ever been in. Just like can derive alternate mins so unless its an "NA" we can ignore the "for filing as an alternate" numbers on the back of the Jepps too.

Latest resources

Back