Takeoff Mins/Pinnacle Ops Specs

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
OpSpecs are controlling?

What does your OpSpecs say you need for 1000 RVR? Runway Facilities Required?

Mine says 2 RVRS NOT just one. Actually 3 RVRs but one may be not available.

This is why the Jepps have RVR-1600 for the minimums at SBN. According to AIRNAV.com RW 27L only has ONE RVR.

Last edited:
People, the back of the 10-9 is NOT CONTROLLING for airlines! Period. Please read the 121 reg that was posted earlier in this thread. You must look at what you are authorized to do (based on ops specs). Ops specs are issued based on training at your company. I know we cant use certain Cat 2 apchs that use the MM for the DH or ones that use barometric pressure, though they are listed as 1200' RVR Cat 2's. We also cant use the CAT 2 in BOI because of the apch lights that it has. We need ALSF 1 or 2's.
If you think that Jepps are controlling then you are doing your company a disservice, (unless you enjoy making the extra $$ waiting for RVR's to go up!) Please call your training department and talk to one of your in-house sim instructors. They will tell you that ops specs dictate when you can takeoff, not Jeppesen.
I have to stop reading this thread, its too irritating for a Saturday afternoon. Have a good weekend.

This is what the Delta manual says.

"Only apply takeoff minima as low as published on the airport page unless
specifically authorized lower by NOTAM or flight plan remark."

Your examples are misleading. You are referring to something more restrictive to Jepps.

Last edited:
Non 121 crews and equipment.

Dude you're so wrong it's not even funny. Hope I don't have to ride on the back of your airplane. your understanding is dead wrong. You can only reduce if the chart allows those minimums. Your statement about the back of the chart being just for part 91 is flat out scary!

People, the back of the 10-9 is NOT CONTROLLING for airlines! Period. Please read the 121 reg that was posted earlier in this thread. You must look at what you are authorized to do (based on ops specs). Ops specs are issued based on training at your company. I know we cant use certain Cat 2 apchs that use the MM for the DH or ones that use barometric pressure, though they are listed as 1200' RVR Cat 2's. We also cant use the CAT 2 in BOI because of the apch lights that it has. We need ALSF 1 or 2's.
If you think that Jepps are controlling then you are doing your company a disservice, (unless you enjoy making the extra $$ waiting for RVR's to go up!) Please call your training department and talk to one of your in-house sim instructors. They will tell you that ops specs dictate when you can takeoff, not Jeppesen.
I have to stop reading this thread, its too irritating for a Saturday afternoon. Have a good weekend.

Another person who is wrong you're not reading the ops spec right.

Here's what skywest has:
-10-9 is only controling when published takeoff mins are higher than standard takeoff mins (i.e. 2sm or if a minimum ceiling is listed, 300-1)

-1600 or 1/4sm= HIRL, CL, RCLM or adequate visual reference
-1200/1200/1000, Day=RCLM or HIRL or CL
Night= HIRL or CL
-1000/1000/1000 a) CL, or
b) HIRL and RCLM
-600/600/600, HIRL and CL

The 10-9 at SBN shows the takeoff mins are standard, so we are able to use lower than standard mins.
27L has HIRL but no CL. If the RCLM was visable (not covered in snow) takeoff mins would be 1000/1000/1000

-For operations below 1600 RVR a minimum of 2 RVR reporting systems are required.

If there are at least 2 RVR reporting systems the takeoff mins would be 1000/1000/1000 (or whichever 2 they have)
If there is only 1 RVR reporting system the mins would be 1600 RVR

Our mins are almost always what the back of the 10-9 says but there are a few exceptions out there

Last edited:
Jepps are trying to do the work for you. In order to (as stated numerous times before) reduce below 1600 RVR requires at least two working RVRs therefore you cant reduce below that no matter what.

Latest resources

Back