Sympathy for the recently furloughed

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
SR,

I'll drop the fighter bravado now that you acknowledge a few good bros still serve...'nuf said.

141 warhorse was a neat bird, too--especially if it took you for 3-5 years to Charleston...not a bad life.

OV-10 was fun, but after assignment night when you get your RIPs and see "AGOS" you go "WTFO?" You learn about 50% of your job is on the ground with the Army as a ground FAC. You know your aren't in Kansas anymore when part of your job description is keeping qualified in the M-16 (and I'm NOT kidding). Let me tell you...the Army REALLY listens to an AF 2Lt when he makes suggestions on using Air Power during an exercise...(NOT!)

My OV-10 bought me several ground TDYs, including REFORGER and Hoenfels Training Excercise TDYs to Europe. You haven't been cold until you've been a wet, sleeping on the ground, Germany in the winter cold. I never appreciated the WWII footage of the battle of the bulge until I did that REFORGER one January.

The airplane was a hoot to fly....sort of a cross between a King Air and a citabria, if that makes any sense at all. Big and turbine like a King Air, slow and acro like a a citabria. You could stop the plane in 600 feet with reverse thrust. Single engine was its only threat...like many light twins it would roll and its back and kill you if you got below Vmc and ignored your feet. Otherwise...it was a slow, forgiving, fun little plane. (Eagle guys turn your heads away and don't read this...) and dropping bombs and shooting rockets on the range was a blast.

Now...the other thing the assignment got me was a front row seat with the Army during the Gulf War. Let me emphatically state I DID NOT FEEL LUCKY AT ALL about that at the time. Everyone I knew was flying, and I was in a war on the ground, for heaven's sake! I later learned the Marines lost one of their OV-10Ds (and maybe two...any Semper Fi types know?) early in the campaign. The airplane was simply not equipeed to deal with the the SA-7/14/16 type threats, and was slow enough to get DRILLED by triple A if you got too low. So...maybe I was in a better place on the ground... Anyway...like most USAF OV-10 guys, the good news was your ALFA tour was done, you learned a bit about yourself and your sister services, and you typically moved on to a pretty good fighter job afterwards. After the war, we flew about another 10 months, then parceled off our planes to the boneyard, the Phillipines, Columbia, Venuzula, and the BLM.

As for the 141...I guess we answered the question "what's the worst that can happen if we keep flying them another 5 years?" Glad nobody got hurt...

Fly safe....

OV-10

AlbieF15;
The OV-10 was the only aircraft we jumped where the pilots had ejection seats (although the USMC drivers said the ejection system consisted simply of a 1/2 lbs block of TNT under the seat pan).
A high speed, low level run, followed by an abrupt vertical climb where we would exit the open back end at about 3,000 feet, made for some fun jumping.

AlbieF15 said:
Do I exude heterosexuality...maybe...or perhaps I'm just ugly.

I think its the latter. I can speak with confidence since I've met him in person! Only kidding.......he's a handsome men.

Honestly guys, I think that Albie just needs to stay away from the computer after he loses video games against his kids. :D

Actually, Albie is one of the most stand up guys I have ever met in this profession. I look forward to maybe flying with him one day. He can teach me about "the merge" and "green bags, crud, and ray bans" and I can teach him about FA's.....oops, I mean the FMS and Autopilot.

-Neal

AlbieF15 said:

Otherwise...(the OV-10) was a slow, forgiving, fun little plane. (Eagle guys turn your heads away and don't read this...) and dropping bombs and shooting rockets on the range was a blast.

Fly safe....
AlbieF15

If the Eagle was capable of handling some ordinance (especially the new guided stuff) you F-15 guys might be getting a little time as the F-18's have been. After all the hours the USN pilots are putting on those Hornets they will have to get new airplanes.

Fly Navy.

DaveGriffin said:

If the Eagle was capable of handling some ordinance (especially the new guided stuff) you F-15 guys might be getting a little time as the F-18's have been.

The F-15E can actually carry *more* munitions and a *wider variety* of munitions than the Bug. The reason the Bug has been getting so much action instead of the Eagle is that the Hornet can be based from a boat.

F-15E

Mud Eagle said:

The F-15E can actually carry *more* munitions and a *wider variety* of munitions than the Bug. The reason the Bug has been getting so much action instead of the Eagle is that the Hornet can be based from a boat.

Mud Eagle;
Your absolutely right about the F-15E. I was referring to AlbieF15's air superiority Eagle.
However, in the time you guys can fly one F-15E in from PSAB, the F/A-18 Hornet can conduct 3 or more sorties from the boat.

Fly Navy

Re: F-15E

DaveGriffin said:

Mud Eagle;
Your absolutely right about the F-15E. I was referring to AlbieF15's air superiority Eagle.
However, in the time you guys can fly one F-15E in from PSAB, the F/A-18 Hornet can conduct 3 or more sorties from the boat.

Fly Navy
That may be true, but I'll bet the one F-15E can get more ordnance on target in the one trip than the bug can in the 3 trips to the boat and back. :D
FLY, FIGHT & WIN...GO AF!

The Bug

Not to mention that the "Bug" needs to be replaced anyway, regardless of the hours they're getting right now. Small, short legs.. may fly a lot right now but..... Could be the reason it was first runner up to the Viper during the late Seventies push for the lightweight multi-role fighter program.....

Great nose position authority though.......

Re: Re: F-15E

ExAF said:
That may be true, but I'll bet the one F-15E can get more ordnance on target in the one trip than the bug can in the 3 trips to the boat and back. :D
FLY, FIGHT & WIN...GO AF!

If that's the case then why are the Navy pilots getting all the time over target and wearing out their airplanes?

:D

Don't get me wrong, the F-15 and the USAF are great. Without them there would be a lot of fighter jocks who require long, stable runways and prefer short deployments that wouldn't otherwise have the opportunity to seek and destroy the enemies of freedom.

Fly Navy

Last edited:
Ah, you can feel the love in this thread.

For the flamer: Let's give him a HIM! I know you military guys know this one - "HIM! HIM! (blank) HIM!"

Latest resources

Back