Sympathy for the recently furloughed

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Get A life

Matt, I'm sorry you couldn't make it in the military. Somebody who complained louder than you, got thatpromotion and teh assignment of their dreams, or better yet, they fulfilled their obligation after being suckered in to an eight year commitment, and went to the airlines. Big deal, get over it. Just because they've been furloughed and have a skill that the Military requires doesn't mean you can complain about them wanting bacl in. So what if they complained??? Get a life..... and do something about being a human being...

Good laugh

While I have better things to do than respond to the fool that started this thread, I had to help out those of you trying to find "Maj Matt Mason." Major Matt Mason was a toy from the 60s. I got one for Christmas in 1968. They were like small G.I. Joes in outer space. He even has a picture of one under his name. Just thought I'd save anyone else from trying to find some idiot named "Matt." I did get a good laugh from the efforts though!

By the way, I'm pretty sure the reconojet and spacesled were vehicles you get for him to ride in. I had the spacesled but we weren't rich enough to afford no reconojet!

;)This individual is not worthy of your responses. I grew up on Air Force installations through the mid 60's, 70's, and early 80's. Grant it, I did not always live in base housing but I was always close enough to know the basics of what the military was about. My father spent 26 years Active Duty. The first four were as an enlisted man in the Navy. I joined the scene when he was a Butterball at Macdill. My father was passed over for 06 a couple years after I graduated from college. At that time he decided to leave the military and start a new career. I can honestly say that during those times I have never seen my father so distraught. It wasn't because he was passed over however. The military was his life. He loved it...

There are many days that I wish I followed in his footsteps but I was a pretty wild kid back then and I thought I knew alot more then Dad. The reality is that Dad was always right on target.

The military is a great place to learn some of the most important values of the freedom that we as Americans enjoy. I now look back and wish I had been more mature and responsible in my college days to have seen the light. I had a scolarship to one of the Military Academy Prep Schools that I scoffed at back then. Had I only known then what I know now.

Many of you that are reading this were wiser then me and seized the opportunity to join the ranks of some of the finest Americans in our country. I really dont know where this guy is coming from but for what its worth you earned the right to enjoy any and all privledges our country has to offer. After all, you guys have been providing the blanket of freedom we all sleep under.

I salute you all.

PS. If its not to late I would love to sign up.....At 38, it probably could not be waiverd. Rock on Boyzzzzz

Reply to Major Mason and DaveGriffin

To begin with, you both can kiss my a$$. I did my 10 years in the USAF and bitched the whole time - who the heck are you to say you've got to shut up and like it? Maybe for idiots like yourself but not me!

I received the "standard awards", NEVER failed any checkride and helped my friends along the way. I served my country and went on to better things - my life doesn't revolve around the military - I never required that "structure" that losers like you depend on! Also, life's to short to deal with all the crappy so-called "benefits" Uncle Sam throws at you(Q-how's that wonderful retirement/TRICARE/BX privledges you're looking forward to?!)

I bet you're scared to get out because you won't be able to boss others around and get away with it. You guys were always
"wrapped" too tight for normal society....

From "DaveGriffin"
I never liked or respected the unhappy, short timers (4-10 year mini-careers) who readily accepted their training and paychecks, and then bitched and moaned the whole time about how f****d up the military is.
I got news for you "Dave" - tough crap! Life's a choice, me and many more chose to speak out against the morons, like yourself, who were "running" the squadrons (and moral) into the dirt - the ENTIRE time kissing some O-5's butt to get yourself promoted. You guys/gals were ALWAYS crappy pilots and officers - period.

I'm glad I bitched AND I'm out flying for a major airline, so when you losers get passed over or you're forced to separate and get (you hope) an airline job - you'll be at the bottom of a seniority list kissing a schedulers' butt's (naturally) for any flying. You'll probably even cross the fence and become a manager because you can't hack it on the line- everyone knows managers are crappy pilots too!! I'm sure guys/gals like you will fit right in!:D

I look forward to your response:D

Last edited:
Speed,

I have worked with a variety of supervisors in my 14 year career, some good, some bad. I'm not there yet, but some pretty smart folks mentioned to me I'd find the same in the airlines, both on the line and in management. By the same token, there are happy airline pilots and miserable airline pilots, and it seems to me about 85% of the difference is attitude.

If you served a day for your country..you did a service that many never do. I don't care if you were dropping bombs, flying cargo, passing gas, or flying DVs around in a C-21...you did what your country asked. I'm glad you were on the team.

I'm also glad you found your niche in civilian aviation. I hope to join you there in 2 weeks. In the meantime--how about remembering a little board etiquitte? I am getting out...I agreed that the grass for me was greener on the outside. However...rants against guys who stay in with terms like "loser" and "too scared to get out" don't do justice to the guys who stay in. Right now there are friends of mine scattered across the globe in some crappy places far from family. They are there to impose our national will on those who would do us harm. They aren't there for the pay...you can't pay me enough to enjoy 120 days away from the family at a pop. (Navy guys do this routinely on cruises) You may think being a well-paid airline pilot buys you security, but another shoe bomb or hijack that doesn't get thrwarted may very well mean more furloughs, airlines going out of business, etc. Especially in aviation, right now your job security is on the razors edge...and the success of our military operations have a direct effect on your economic livlihood. If I were you, I'd be very thankful there are people willing to try to stay in 20-30 years and doing the leadership jobs--making due with much less money than you (and hopefully me soon) will be making, and being greatful for the (often closed) commissary and (overpriced and poorly serviced) Bx/Px exhanges.

Again--I'm getting out...happily! I also saw some non-effective officers and poor policies. I also worked with some of the best people I have ever met. However...I am forever indebted to those guys who stick it out, move every three years, endure the remotes, work the 14 hour days, and, oh yeah, occassionally die doing their jobs. If they weren't there making sacrifices, you can bet the "our Delta is better than SWA who is better than United" BS banter would become moot in about 48 hours.

As always...fly safe. And try to play nice.

Albie

Last edited:
Speed,

I also noticed you aren't on the list of site contributers. Perhaps you'd have a few more dollars to spend on worthwhile endevors if you still could shop at the commissary.

:p

For all you guys interested in the SCAB LIST thread...are non-contributers to the board to be treated with similar contempt?

;)

Fly safe,

Albie

Albie,

This board's "etiquitte" is not in jeopardy by my honest opinion's concerning certain military career wannabee's (Maj Mason/DaveGriffin)and their dislike for people leaving after their commitment is up. I volunteered for 8 yrs after UPT and got my current airline job because of the hard work I put into my flying career - no one gave me any free rides - I busted my butt in every squadron and never asked for any recognition.

I don't have to be politically correct or "sugar-coat" my comments when responding to idiots like these guys. I chose to make a comment on the board, even if they were trying to "flame" some responses - that's what I call a livey discussion.

I do know several losers who stayed in and they flat out said they couldn't get hired because : one said "he never liked taking checkrides", another said "his miserable checkride history of several failures would get him shot down" and another who said " he preferred to lead men" WHAT the HECK that means is still beyond me because this guy was the fartherst one can get from a "leader".

I do know several good guys staying in the Air Force because of the obvious furloughes and one even wanted to serve his country - I respect these guys for their honesty.

Finally, I contributed money via my church to help the victims and families of 9-11. I enjoy reading/posting this board but don't believe in contributing to any internet site/company or board that I can't fully verify where my money is going. I can do that at my church.

You can stick that SCAB threat in your ear or WHEREVER you "twin tail f@gs" like to put things nowadays:p

P.S. Please tell me you didn't send your crewchief knee pads for Christmas - I bet he already has a pair!;)

Last edited:
SR,

The money for the board was not for charity, it was for webmaster expenses. I also give to church, but last I heard none of that money was subsidizing the "flamebait" you seem to enjoy fighting.

And while I never had to, I'm sure there are tons of non-fighter pilots out there who would have gladly had homo-sexual relations with a crew chief if it would have gotten them into the world's greatest air superiority fighter. However--I'm fortunate in that at least so far, none of my squadron mates or maintainers have ever approached me for such an offer. Do I exude heterosexuality...maybe...or perhaps I'm just ugly. However..I do know when it comes to fighter pilots, there are those who flew the Eagle and those who wished the did.... The 104:0 kill ratio speaks for itself.

The other point I want to emphasize is I know TONs of guys who are making a career, and it has nothing to do with dollars. One of my best buddies from my current squadron is soaking up a staff remote in Korea at the moment. Why does he stay? Perhaps the fact his dad was killed in an F-4 when he was a junior has something to do with it. Be very careful with the "idiot" and "loser" terms...you just might offend someone who really is helping you accomplish YOUR dreams. Yeah, we all know there are some in the forces that would starve on the outside, but there are also some very talented aviators that simply have made the choice to stay.

Fly safe...and pay up.

Albie

PS...if you are so proud of your service, why do you put "USAF junk" as your description. Was the plane you flew "beneath" your talent or skill?

Albie,

I got a laugh out of your response! I don't know what "caliber" of people think it's worth a homo experience to fly a fighter jet but I think they're crazy! I've heard several true stories over the years and they all seem to center around the F-15 community.... :rolleyes:

We're not in the O'Club so you can forget the fighter bravado - Your "meathead mentality" is exactly what I found ridiculous about how seriously you guys took yourselves....lighten up Francis!!

By the way, I never addressed folks who stay in for personal/family reasons -
? Perhaps the fact his dad was killed in an F-4 when he was a junior has something to do with it. Be very careful with the "idiot" and "loser" terms...you just might offend someone who really is helping you accomplish YOUR dreams
- don't try to misdirect my origional comments toward Maj Mason and Griffin guy....nice try Albie..

My USAF junk is really that! The C-141 literally had a wing fall off and it's long overdue for retirement. Also, I am neither talented or skilled - just a hard worker grateful to have the opportunity:p

P.S. I AM jealous with one point: I joined wanting to fly the OV-10 but the USAF retired them right when I signed up - timing is everything!

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back