Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually the 1.25 rate is only for parings other than ATL and only if a FO is flying with a AT Capt that is junior to him. So between the seat lock and the fence what are the realistic chances of anyone being paid that rate.......

I know how the 1.25 works, that's why I'm so disgusted.

It's funny how our BOD voted 19-0 YES, but every pilot I've spoken to is voting NO.

Every pilot always says they are voting no. It's the cool thing to say. We all want to be part of the tough cool crowd and be a bad :ss....then it comes time to vote in the privacy of your own home and things change.

Says the guy who just robbed a 7-11 with his gun to the clerks head.

Let's see if you're so flippant after an arbitrator makes a fair SLI.

Um ... who is being "flippant" here?

You get a huge pay raise and the ability to camp out in ATL at your previous QOL. I got ... "unharmed".

Just curious, does Southwest have a lot of guys interested in ATL domicile? In other words, if there were no fences, would the domicile go senior, junior, or somewhere in between? Any guesses?

At least you can make and understand the analogy that working at Airtran is the equivalent to working as a cashier at 7-11.:bawling:

You get a huge pay raise and the ability to camp out in ATL at your previous QOL. I got ... "unharmed".

I think 850 pilots get to camp out in ATL. So the very senior AT pilots will not be effected. That leaves another 850 plus to try their hand in a SWA base. This reduction will take place over time and the earliest it would be complete is probably the 30 month mark. So the price I pay to keep a Captain retention slot is reserve (assuming no growth) for 10 years minimum, though 12-15 years is probably more realistic. I suppose several of those years I will not be senior enough to hold just one base. So forget moving for a while. I could have worse problems than this I know. But there is "some" cost on the AT side! I wonder if the reaction by both sides would have been different if the SLI had gone closer to DOH, but they didn't focus on seat protection. Seems like SWA management probably wanted to keep training costs down and so we are getting a deal we are both not happy with.

Bravo. It just appears this deal is very one sided, and even though your Captains would keep their seats, they will remain junior for YEARS. (what are the scheduled retirements for the next 10 years? 150 a year, maybe?) Their relative seniority would be poor. It's great having the higher pay, but not having Christmas off for years or weekends wouldn't be that fun. If you choose the arbitration route, you may get a lot better relative seniority, and it would be binding. When would it go into effect? GK I guess could get mad and try to delay things, but eventually he would have to give in if he would want true synergies, and the corndogs would have to abide by it, unless they want to be like USAir. Maybe you should CONSIDER other options, such as arbitration if you are unhappy with that apparent turd of a deal. JMO of course. Godspeed!

OYS

Last edited:
On Your Six,

To this outside observer it seems like you are invested in some way in the Airtran guys taking the SLI to arbitration. I was under the impression you work for Delta. I'm wondering why you're grinding your axe the way you are. Do you have a spouse/brother/relative who is an AT pilot? What's in it for you?

Speak for someone else, my friend.

About 50% of our pilots take a HUGE Quality of Life hit, even staying in the ATL. The problem is the reduction of the base. The upper 20% are unharmed, but the middle 50% instead of bidding out to be in the top 25% in MKE or MCO have to go back to ATL to hold even the bottom 10-50%.

I'm fairly senior as F/O's go here, barely missed the 649 staple cutoff and got stapled, and go from #7 in MCO to bottom 23% in ATL. That takes me from weekends and holidays off to working every weekend and holiday and there are a lot of friends of mine in the same boat.

Only half our people got to keep their Quality of Life. The rest will be a boost to your junior pilots as they get displaced to other bases. It won't affect a lot of people, but enough to throw a few hundred SWA pilots from being on reserve into holding a line while our guys go on reserve (and our junior 737 CA's stay on reserve for 5-7 years).

I'm not saying it's "great" for you guys, I was expecting GK to throw some money your way as well, but it's not all roses on our side. It'll pass, if the MEC puts it out for vote, but it will do so mainly out of fear while people hold their noses and hope for a LOT of growth in the near future.

We'll just have to make the best of it... I firmly believe in that old saying, "A man's about as happy as he makes up his mind to be."

Last edited:
SWAPA joke?? just a quick question?? How many Eastern "replacement pilots" now on the list at Airtran...(Valuejet)

Replacement pilots? Probably not as many as at AA, you know the ones that screwed the Reno and TWA pilots or the ones at United who plugged the Frontier pilots in 86. So, maybe you need to define "replacement pilots".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Back