• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWAPA has a transition agreement

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
How many 8 year Cpts are at SWA? None. Almost everyone at AAI who is an 8 year pilot is a Cpt. Im trying to compare apples to apples as best as possible. If you compare guys who have been on property for 6-10 years at AAI, and guys who have been on property for 6-9 years at SWA, the pay gap that many at SWA are trying to claim just isn't there. Sure, the hourly rate of an 8 year FO at SWA is much better, but there isn't many 8 year FO's at AAI, so you need to compare actual apples to apples. If it wasn't for the SWA merger, Id already be on SWA pay because I could hold the left seat, but im still in the right seat because of this merger, and AAI has stopped hiring and for the most part, stopped upgrades.. For 10 year guys and later, sure, the SWA guys are making more money. But for a large portion of the AAI pilots, this isn't the huge windfall many at SWA think it is. In the long run it "might" be, but then we would just be speculating. 10 years ago SWA wasn't exactly the most desirable airline to work for. They were still young and didn't have nearly the hold they do today. They made money because their wages were lower then everyone elses, and they scrapped for market share. Sound familier?

If you want to compare apples to apples, lets do that. An 8 yr. AAI CA gets paid $149/hr and is guaranteed 70 hours per month for a guaranteed minimum of $10430. An 8 yr. SWA F/O is paid $139/hr and is guaranteed 77 hours per month for a guaranteed minimum of $10703. Apples to apples. (side note: I know you can fly more, and do...we can and do too, and probably to a greater extent) So, in essence, our F/O's make more than your CA's. Please explain to me why you, or anyone else for that matter, thinks that your DOH at AAI should be valued greater on a combined list (the result of a relative seniority type solution), since regardless of the seat you occupy at that longevity at AAI, it is valued less now??? You want to talk anything approaching relative seniority, call the leg store, 'cause you're gonna need something to stand on. Start basing your arguments on the realities of this situation, then maybe we can talk. Just to make it clear to you, every F/O at AAI will realize the equivalent of an upgrade by becoming a SWA pilot. You know upgrade, that's the point in your career when you trade in seniority to make more money. Contrary to Ty's continual assertions, seniority isn't forever, it's a commodity that is regularly traded for a better life for your family. If that wasn't the case, we'd all still be regional captains. Capisce? (Sorry about the run-on paragraph, D. ;))

Fraternally,
Papawoody

Last edited:
The reality of pay is that it is a bigger gap than on paper. Forth year SWA FO 162K last year. How does that compare to $79 bucks an hour?

Will the Southwest pilots be giving any of their own pay to fund raises for Airtran pilots? If not, then zip it. You aren't giving up a dime.

OYS

Will the Southwest pilots be giving any of their own pay to fund raises for Airtran pilots? If not, then zip it. You aren't giving up a dime.

OYS

Does any of this involve you? If not, then zip it. We neither need, nor want your input. Let the grown ups talk now...you know, the people who this actually affects. Go back to your substandard career, and await your next bankruptcy / furlough. See ya.

PW

SWA F/O’s would pay for this to a greater extent, especially those who left AirTran for a better career at SWA. If this wasn’t the case, they would have stayed. They would pay with a lot more than a few dimes. Remember, these F/O’s were hired, not acquired. That has to count for something.

An 8 yr. SWA F/O is paid $139/hr and is guaranteed 77 hours per month for a guaranteed minimum of $10703.

Fraternally,
Papawoody

Papa, I think the 77 you used should be 87. Aren't the min guarantee 85/87/89 depending on how many days are in a particular month? So that $10703 number should really be $12093.

Papa, I think the 77 you used should be 87. Aren't the min guarantee 85/87/89 depending on how many days are in a particular month? So that $10703 number should really be $12093.

No, I converted our tfp guarantee to an hourly guarantee (avg.) in order to compare "apples to apples", since I converted the tfp rate to an hourly rate using the 1.13 tfp/hr. standard (which equals the numbers used by Airline Pilot Central).

Cheers,
PW

I nominate this for the "Most Bizarre Logic of the Year" award!

Sounds like something Sarah Palin would say.

Well, someone had to eventually take the title away from you but you will always be the, "Bizarre Logic Champ" in my book.

Hey, GT- I'm at your 8 year point at SWA, still just an FO.

There isn't really any upside for me or most of my brothers.

Cheers- BD32

If you are short sighted there may not be an upside, however what will it look like 5 years or even 10 years down the road. There might be more upside than you think.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back