• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWAPA Comments about 717

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I'm having trouble getting worked up over the length of SWA training (believe it or not) I'd rather have more than less. It's a new airline and I haven't flown round dials since an old Lear 23 and the Jetpig.

Lear brought up a good point about the 717 Homies; Giving them a quick and dirty 'review' on the 737-300, 500, 700 and 800 would be doing them a huge disservice. I'd want the full course if I were in the same position.

That's exactly my point, SWA has to come up with some type of transitional training that the FAA will sign off on. What exactly would you prefer the 2 weeks to be filled up with, multiple testing with your job on the line?

Jeesh! :rolleyes:

No, they really don't need to come up with a full training program. Do you think the Northwest pilots all came to "Fort Widget" to go through Delta training? Of course not. The company issued a stack of bulletins, everyone got a fancy sub commander uniform, and on a set date, everyone was a Delta pilot. Pretty simple, really.

Freight,

The 717 fit perfectly helping pull AAI out of a hole back in the day, it doesn't fit well in the SW model, that's all. Nothing nefarious, just a business decision that keeps an all 737 fleet. Same training for everyone. Everyone uses the same sim, parts, etc, etc. It will be a good long term decision for our company that hopefully we can all profit from later.

Lear,

Even the 717 guys coming over shouldn't be too worried about it. Maybe a little extra study to understand the systems, but they don't make you rebuild the plane. They might ask some overhead panel questions but not much more than that with regard to systems. Cooperate, graduate was always the name of the game.

No, they really don't need to come up with a full training program. Do you think the Northwest pilots all came to "Fort Widget" to go through Delta training? Of course not. The company issued a stack of bulletins, everyone got a fancy sub commander uniform, and on a set date, everyone was a Delta pilot. Pretty simple, really.

They also complained about the shallow training methods. Training by bulletin is farcking curse.

They also complained about the shallow training methods. Training by bulletin is farcking curse.

Yes, that is the other extreme, I agree. What would be more reasonable would be a one-week course. This 64 days of training (including OE) is nuts for pilots who are already flying the same damned airplane.

this is new territorry, SWA has never had to train, only review, everyone had a type. Intresting to see what they really come up with for folks who have no type.

Like -I- have said before, I'm not accusing you of being anti-SWA. I'm accusing you of being anti-Southwest pilots. Which is ironic, because it was SWA, not SWAPA, who didn't "treat the Airtran merger" as you thought would have been proper. But for some reason, you continually bash SWAPA and its pilots as if they contrived to do all of this. Trust me, the overwhelming majority wanted no part of this to begin with. However, it's a reality now, and ALL sides are trying to deal as best as possible.

Can Southwest pilots (and SWAPA folks) say stupid or insensitive things? Of course. On the other hand, so can Airtran/ALPA folks. So can United/Continental guys, so can Alaska guys, and certainly so can Hawaiian guys. Why is it you never take anyone ELSE to task for stupid/insensitive remarks besides Southwest pilots? Why is that, Dan?

In this case, Texman made a positive comment about Airtran guys and used the term "newhire training," without it occurring to him that it might offend anyone. Then a few Airtran guys pointed out that they're not newhires. And then of course, YOU were all over it like stink on you-know-what, as typical "Southwest pilot arrogance/mentality." Jesus, Dan, give it a rest. I was just in Dallas for training, and the Airtran guys I talked to called it "newhire training" themselves. Maybe you should give them a hard time too. No offense was meant. Relax, man! Stand down from Defcon 1!

I'm not sure if it's just your idea of fun to stir up trouble among other airlines' pilots (I dunno--does Hawaiian pay you extra for that?), or if maybe a Southwest pilot dorked your girl or something. Regardless, it's pretty clear that you only jump on Southwest pilots' words and no one elses. Talk to a professional, Dan. Please. For all our sakes.

Bubba

Well I'm guessing I have gotten you pretty worked up judging by the amount of posts you have directed at me. As is human nature your seeing this through only your SWA perspective, which is fine. But thinking I " should seek professional help"because someone has a different perspective ( on a web board for pilots from different airlines no less!) probably says more about you than me. Really, chill, this is just a web board, no single persons opinion really matters that much.
If any of us met in person we would get along fine. I would even guess you could have a beer with Gen Lee and enjoy yourself.

BTW, Bubba, I saw your fine print. What did ever happen to to old Fubi? I was a lot less civil with him than anything I've ever directed towards SWAPA when he started in on Hawaiian.

this is new territorry, SWA has never had to train, only review, everyone had a type. Intresting to see what they really come up with for folks who have no type.

Actually that is not correct. The Morris guys had to do the full new hire training at SWA. (Yes, even their Captains with 1000's of hours of 737 experience :rolleyes:) Many of the F/O's didn't have a type either.

BTW, Bubba, I saw your fine print. What did ever happen to to old Fubi? I was a lot less civil with him than anything I've ever directed towards SWAPA when he started in on Hawaiian.

I would like to know the same thing.

Last time he said anything to me was when I was going to get sued by him for calling him a bad pilot.

Still have my legal dream team anxiously awaiting the summons!

Latest resources

Back