• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWAPA Comments about 717

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I've never claimed to be a "national" anything. Those are the claims of other people.

As far as Chase, he's earned a lack of respect. I've always disagreed with the popular statement that "respect is earned." People should be treated with respect by default, and they earn disrespect. Chase has certainly done more than enough to earn some disrespect from the AirTran pilots.

Good point about the respect thing. Never thought of it that way.

I think what should happen is the AT folks at SWA training or just getting out need to share their thoughts and feelings about how it has been for them so far. Basically report back to all the AT peeps via company email, or something.

It's all good :)

I think most of us hear from them in one way or another. Phone calls, emails, whatever. Everyone so far has had very positive things to say about how they were treated in training.

Training=A whole day on how to read a Dispatch/ 3 days on FMS and FMA? A whole day on RADAR? Hearing 2 weeks could be cut out.

Are you new to aviation? Who do you think designed this training? The FAA is the one who decided you needed this long of a course, what would you prefer, one day of training and 13 days of testing?:rolleyes:

I'm sure it could of consisted of jumpseating on 4 flights followed up with a weekend of watching TLC's "On the FLY!"

Are you new to aviation? Who do you think designed this training? The FAA is the one who decided you needed this long of a course, what would you prefer, one day of training and 13 days of testing?:rolleyes:

I'm sure it could of consisted of jumpseating on 4 flights followed up with a weekend of watching TLC's "On the FLY!"

No the company designed the training and the FAA approved it, that's how it works.
I have seven years on the 737, do I need 60 days of training to learn how to fly it?

No the company designed the training and the FAA approved it, that's how it works.
I have seven years on the 737, do I need 60 days of training to learn how to fly it?

That's exactly my point, SWA has to come up with some type of transitional training that the FAA will sign off on. What exactly would you prefer the 2 weeks to be filled up with, multiple testing with your job on the line?

Jeesh! :rolleyes:

That's exactly my point, SWA has to come up with some type of transitional training that the FAA will sign off on. What exactly would you prefer the 2 weeks to be filled up with, multiple testing with your job on the line?

Jeesh! :rolleyes:

I didn't suggest anything, you did. :rolleyes:

It's not 2 weeks it's 2 MONTHS by the way.:erm:

How are they dealing with 717 pilots who have never flown the 737 before, haven't had ANY systems training on it, don't have the type, etc, etc?

We do a week of self-guided computer-based systems training in initial 737 then another week on switchology, FMS, and avionics, and even the recurrent online version takes almost 2 days to chew through. The company didn't teach you "rebuild the airplane", it was pretty rudimentary stuff to tell the truth, but from what I'm hearing from the training program there at SWA, it's about half that time on systems... more like a review?

Are you expected to have a certain amount of basic 737 systems knowledge before you show up for class? Honest question, a 717 buddy of mine the other day asked about it and I didn't know what to tell him.

As far as the decision to do full initial for those of us already on the plane... above my pay grade. If that's what they want to do, hey, I'm your Huckleberry. Just here to get it done and go out there and make some ASM's for the company. Gnashing teeth about something we can't control is pretty pointless, just have to figure out a way to get the family to me (or vice-versa) on a regular basis so I don't go weeks without seeing them.

Totally agree, why is the training course for 737 AAI guys the same as a regular new hire?? Good question to ask at training?

How are they dealing with 717 pilots who have never flown the 737 before, haven't had ANY systems training on it, don't have the type, etc, etc?

We do a week of self-guided computer-based systems training in initial 737 then another week on switchology, FMS, and avionics, and even the recurrent online version takes almost 2 days to chew through. The company didn't teach you "rebuild the airplane", it was pretty rudimentary stuff to tell the truth, but from what I'm hearing from the training program there at SWA, it's about half that time on systems... more like a review?

Are you expected to have a certain amount of basic 737 systems knowledge before you show up for class? Honest question, a 717 buddy of mine the other day asked about it and I didn't know what to tell him.

As far as the decision to do full initial for those of us already on the plane... above my pay grade. If that's what they want to do, hey, I'm your Huckleberry. Just here to get it done and go out there and make some ASM's for the company. Gnashing teeth about something we can't control is pretty pointless, just have to figure out a way to get the family to me (or vice-versa) on a regular basis so I don't go weeks without seeing them.

That's kinda how it was for us, a review. Because we have the type already, it is like a recurrent class. It saves the company time and money.

I know their are some great flash cards out their to help. I would tell your buddy not to stress. He will pass and they are not out to fail you.

hopefully the pilots will realize we need to stick together cause it's only going to get worse once Gary realizes he screwed the pooch overpaying for his misadventure. Then he'll come asking us to pay for that mistake, above and beyond what we already have, to wit, we must stand firm and say FUGK.

Overpaying for his misadventure?

750 mil in cash, the rest in stock certificates? Airtran had 500 mil in the bank, so , in reality he paid about 250 mil. For that, he got all the gates, slots, aircraft, parts etc in LGA, DCA, ATL, MKE. If he's half the business man all the experts here at FI claim he is, I'm sure he chiseled Boeing outta something by turning that money-losing 717 over to big D.

The previous CEO at FL (Joe Leonard) hailed the 717 as single greatest reason for pulling Airtran out of bankruptcy. GK says it a money loser. Go figger

Latest resources

Back