• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA. "warriors"

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
so what are y'all gonna do when you're not the highest paid?

I dunno... I guess if that happens, we'll stop pointing out that we're the highest paid.

I'm sure we'll find something else to be happy about. Personally, I came here when we weren't the highest paid. When I applied in 2000, I counted on working a little harder than the other airlines, and getting paid a little less than them as well. However, Southwest was the only airline I applied to, because that was for whom I wanted to work, for other reasons.

Conversely with answering your question, if and when Southwest isn't on the top of the heap anymore, maybe other airlines' folks will stop nitpicking and belittling every other aspect of our careers. But who knows? What do YOU think, Sluf?

Bubba

Back to the subject....I think we started to be called warriors back in the mid 1990's. It started when United Shuttle started and Continental lite. The big one was United Shuttle. If I remember correctly from the stories, Herb said this was going to be a war. United shuttle was a big threat and we had to fight for our existence on the west coast. I believe there were even pictures of herb in camo army clothes and ground ops people also wore camo. I believe the term red bellied war planes came out during that time. I obviously wasn't at swa then (wish I was....15 and at swa would've been sweet) but I have read that in several places.

He has never called me a Warrior.

As a 6th year narrowbody F/O I will only start rolling my eyes when I am not being paid at least $200k a year.

You will have "Betty Davis Eyes" pretty soon......

Bye Bye---General Lee

I dunno... I guess if that happens, we'll stop pointing out that we're the highest paid.

I'm sure we'll find something else to be happy about. Personally, I came here when we weren't the highest paid. When I applied in 2000, I counted on working a little harder than the other airlines, and getting paid a little less than them as well. However, Southwest was the only airline I applied to, because that was for whom I wanted to work, for other reasons.

Conversely with answering your question, if and when Southwest isn't on the top of the heap anymore, maybe other airlines' folks will stop nitpicking and belittling every other aspect of our careers. But who knows? What do YOU think, Sluf?

Bubba

When you stop being the highest paid, there will be a mass exodus, just looking for variety. 22 leg 4 day trips get old after 5-10 years. Admit it!

Bye Bye---General Lee

Had a Delta guy on the jumpseat who said they were using our pay as an aiming point. I feel certain that I speak for our entire pilot group when I say I really hope you all are successful in attaining that. Unfortunately the AA bankruptcy doesn't help, and will not help us in our section 6. I don't believe Gary will be asking for pay cuts; he stated that in the letter. I'm all ears for ideas on becoming more productive.

The company will want pref bidding and I am a HUGE NO on that,

When you stop being the highest paid, there will be a mass exodus, just looking for variety. 22 leg 4 day trips get old after 5-10 years. Admit it!

Bye Bye---General Lee

What have you been smoking today? Mass Exodus? Like the mass exodus from Delta when you got shafted in BK? Or any other carrier for that matter. As there are entire threads on this forum talking about pilots staying at their chosen carrier due to the seniority system, I'd say that no one would leave. Unless your company goes away, you feel as if you can't leave. Hell, we ALL know what happens when you get screwed over in pay and rules by your company. You don't leave; you just get bitter, call yourself 'General,' and attempt to inflict your misery on everyone else around you. You know, pretty standard stuff.

Anyway, I believe I mentioned that I came here when we were NOT the highest paid. Don't you get it? This is where I wanted to work. Sure, the money's great, but I like working here anyway. You spoke of variety? What's more variety than being able to fly to and overnight in ANY of our company's cities? Not just the few your particular aircraft and base go to. And this is what bidding is all about--I can bid short, medium or long legs. Personally, I change it up... you know, for variety. I had enough of that ultra-long haul sitting on my ass for hours on end in my former life. If I want to go to Europe, I'll catch a ride on my days off from one of you helpful guys. Besides, we'll go to Hawaii and international soon enough. Even more variety to choose from then.

Chill a little, will ya? It seems like you're getting a little chafed around the edges.

Bubba

Latest resources

Back