• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA. "warriors"

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
What have you been smoking today? Mass Exodus? Like the mass exodus from Delta when you got shafted in BK? Or any other carrier for that matter. As there are entire threads on this forum talking about pilots staying at their chosen carrier due to the seniority system, I'd say that no one would leave. Unless your company goes away, you feel as if you can't leave. Hell, we ALL know what happens when you get screwed over in pay and rules by your company. You don't leave; you just get bitter, call yourself 'General,' and attempt to inflict your misery on everyone else around you. You know, pretty standard stuff.

Anyway, I believe I mentioned that I came here when we were NOT the highest paid. Don't you get it? This is where I wanted to work. Sure, the money's great, but I like working here anyway. You spoke of variety? What's more variety than being able to fly to and overnight in ANY of our company's cities? Not just the few your particular aircraft and base go to. And this is what bidding is all about--I can bid short, medium or long legs. Personally, I change it up... you know, for variety. I had enough of that ultra-long haul sitting on my ass for hours on end in my former life. If I want to go to Europe, I'll catch a ride on my days off from one of you helpful guys. Besides, we'll go to Hawaii and international soon enough. Even more variety to choose from then.

Chill a little, will ya? It seems like you're getting a little chafed around the edges.

Bubba

Like*

how come SWA guys always boast about their pay so much? It's really annoying

How come everybody thinks we are going to go away? Not going to happen.

He has never called me a Warrior.

As a 6th year narrowbody F/O I will only start rolling my eyes when I am not being paid at least $200k a year.
$200K as a 6th year F/O? Are the APC pay rates that far off?

$132/hour (I know you are paid TFP, but APC converts it to hrs.) at 78 hrs/month comes out to $123K/year. Do you fly that much extra, is APC $73K off, or are you exaggerating for effect?

Just curious.

$200K as a 6th year F/O? Are the APC pay rates that far off?

$132/hour (I know you are paid TFP, but APC converts it to hrs.) at 78 hrs/month comes out to $123K/year. Do you fly that much extra, is APC $73K off, or are you exaggerating for effect?

Just curious.

No, they are not off. I just manipulate the system and use the contract to my advantage. I fly lots of premium pay trips and fly lots of trip with low block and high rigs or pick up last minute trips with lots of deadhead time.

I average anywhere from 160-170 TFP (trips for pay) a month.

In the summer I can easily get 200 TFP.

165 TFP x $118.93 = $19,623

That is just a typical month for myself. This year I will bank almost $225,000. I work my ass off and fly a lot more than the average pilot but it is there if you want it. You can also drop lots of flying and stay at home all the time if you want to. The beauty of SWA is that it is up to you.

I'm sorry if this sounds like flame, but does Gary Kelly really refer to you guys as warriors? Do you guys buy that crap or roll your eyes?

Ya, I buy that "crap." I would say most folks at SWA realize this is a brutal industry and we need to fight every day to keep SWA healthy and prosperous. We're not interested in losing our profit sharing or having some bankruptcy board change our wages. In addition, we are also not interested in showing up to work in a caustic environment where folks are not happy at their jobs. Not saying all airlines are like that, but talking to my buds, I know some are.

Servant's Heart
Warrior Spirit
Fun-Loving Attitude

These may sound trite to many, but it is how many of us roll at SWA. It's worked so far.

What have you been smoking today? Mass Exodus? Like the mass exodus from Delta when you got shafted in BK? Or any other carrier for that matter. As there are entire threads on this forum talking about pilots staying at their chosen carrier due to the seniority system, I'd say that no one would leave. Unless your company goes away, you feel as if you can't leave. Hell, we ALL know what happens when you get screwed over in pay and rules by your company. You don't leave; you just get bitter, call yourself 'General,' and attempt to inflict your misery on everyone else around you. You know, pretty standard stuff.

Anyway, I believe I mentioned that I came here when we were NOT the highest paid. Don't you get it? This is where I wanted to work. Sure, the money's great, but I like working here anyway. You spoke of variety? What's more variety than being able to fly to and overnight in ANY of our company's cities? Not just the few your particular aircraft and base go to. And this is what bidding is all about--I can bid short, medium or long legs. Personally, I change it up... you know, for variety. I had enough of that ultra-long haul sitting on my ass for hours on end in my former life. If I want to go to Europe, I'll catch a ride on my days off from one of you helpful guys. Besides, we'll go to Hawaii and international soon enough. Even more variety to choose from then.

Chill a little, will ya? It seems like you're getting a little chafed around the edges.

Bubba

Another GENERAL CHEESE smack down.:beer:

When you stop being the highest paid, there will be a mass exodus, just looking for variety. 22 leg 4 day trips get old after 5-10 years. Admit it!

Bye Bye---General Lee

So GENERAL CHEESE, you claim DAL is shooting for SWA rates, right?

Fact:

Currently in the 737NG,

DAL 12yr FO: $119/hr
DAL 12yr CA: 174/hr

SWA 12yr FO: $147/hr
SWA 12yr CA: $210/hr

DO YOU BELIEVE THAT IF/WHEN DAL ALPO GETS YOUR NEXT CONTRACT THAT DAL FO'S WILL GET A 23% RAISE AND DAL CAPTS WILL GET A 21% RAISE TO GET SWA RATES?

You can even ask the LBB accountant for help!! I bet she's FANTASTIC!!:blush:

Last edited:
No, they are not off. I just manipulate the system and use the contract to my advantage. I fly lots of premium pay trips and fly lots of trip with low block and high rigs or pick up last minute trips with lots of deadhead time.

I average anywhere from 160-170 TFP (trips for pay) a month.

In the summer I can easily get 200 TFP.

165 TFP x $118.93 = $19,623

That is just a typical month for myself. This year I will bank almost $225,000. I work my ass off and fly a lot more than the average pilot but it is there if you want it. You can also drop lots of flying and stay at home all the time if you want to. The beauty of SWA is that it is up to you.
Ok, that makes sense. A lot of the SWA guys on here talk about how much time off they have, and I figured to be pulling down >$200K you probably had to be working more than most. More power to you... someone's got to do it.

Cheers

Latest resources

Back