• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA to speed up Airtran integration.....article

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
We only have two more years of this debate!

Lears New Years Resolution was smashed with little effort.

Bottom line, the MEC did exactly what Lear and Just thinking wanted. Congrats on the big win guys.

Lear I don't know how to tell you this but this deal seriously messed you up. The last thing you do at night and the first thing you do in the morning is post on here. You go on about your awesome life of 18 days at home and sweet PUJ overnights. What do you do with that free time? Post constantly on FI about the merger. Heck the last thing you did before you went out on NYE was come on here to post. NEW YEARS EVE!!! 45 min. before the limo showed up. WTF!!!! Grab some bubbly, tell the fiance how great she looks in that new dress, and ask if the tux your wearing makes your pecs look too big.

You claim to have a great fiance, kids, and more than enough money. The only concern you have is the drinks in PUJ and which super set would best highlight your delts. In reality we can see that your biggest concern is justifying your complete miss reading of SWA. I don't understand it either. A second generation pilot who still doesn't understand airline management is odd for me to grasp.

Lear, while I can't argue that LH and others left much to be desired in the leadership department, it's just not right to blame them for the crapstorm that followed GK's threatening letter. If you want to blame anyone, blame the NC. They fomented the crapstorm. They spread fear. Making idiotic comments like "vote yes if you want a job, vote no if you don't." No matter what the MEC did, they never could have counteracted such nonsense. The NC signed our death warrant.

I'm sorry I'm not a super ALPA guy. Who selects the NC?

I'm sorry I'm not a super ALPA guy. Who selects the NC?

The Chairman is elected by the Status Reps, and the other members are appointed by the MEC Chairman.

"Bottom line, the MEC did exactly what Lear and Just thinking wanted. Congrats on the big win guys..."

Not what I wanted...... SIA#1 or SIA#2....... wanted a fair integration.... nothing more nothing less.

Did not want GK to wade into the middle of negotiations between the unions and FLICK everything up. Did not want a management team to say one thing and do another. Did not want pilot groups pitted against each other. Did not want SWA to move at a glacial pace and miss out on millions and millions of dollars in synergies month after month.

Please stop deluding yourself thinking that the FAT group is nothing but a bunch of ALPA pom pom girls..... ALPA was voted in for adult supervision because of the dysfunctional in house union with excessive costs. (something that SWAPA members can empathize with?) Access to ALPA resources. (SWAPA plagiarized the DALPA contract comparison without even a courtesy call or "by your leave".)

The FAT pilot group is a professional pilot group that has consistently provided to the bottom line for SWA. We will continue to do so.

Did not want SWA to move at a glacial pace and miss out on millions and millions of dollars in synergies month after month.
SWA made a net profit around $350 million in 2011, will announce in 2 weeks their 2012 net profit (which should be around $400 million), and Wall Street analysts are predicting a $700 million net profit in 2013.

Just imagine how strong SWA will be once you sit down with Gary Kelly and Mike Van de Ven and show them how to run the airline :)

We only have two more years of this debate!

Lears New Years Resolution was smashed with little effort.
Yeah, it's Max, he knows how to get my goat pretty quickly. I can ignore a lot of the SWA peeps and even our own guys who are still venting their frustration. Max, on the other hand, having been a NC member, just can't be ignored when he goes off the reservation.

Bottom line, the MEC did exactly what Lear and Just thinking wanted. Congrats on the big win guys.
Yep. I have apologized for that misjudgment before and I will continue to do so. I should have realized sooner that GK would do whatever he needed to do, including threatening to void the signed Process Agreement, to get what he wanted accomplished.

I'll have to live with that.

Lear I don't know how to tell you this but this deal seriously messed you up. The last thing you do at night and the first thing you do in the morning is post on here. You go on about your awesome life of 18 days at home and sweet PUJ overnights. What do you do with that free time? Post constantly on FI about the merger.
Yes, it did. I have a thing about honesty, fairness, and integrity, and don't deal well when those are twisted, maligned, and tossed out the window.

And in all fairness, you're right there along with me, and everyone else on here, guilty of that last sentence above.

Heck the last thing you did before you went out on NYE was come on here to post. NEW YEARS EVE!!! 45 min. before the limo showed up. WTF!!!! Grab some bubbly, tell the fiance how great she looks in that new dress, and ask if the tux your wearing makes your pecs look too big.
I did. Then waited another half hour while she finished up. Perfection doesn't come quickly is what I always tell her when she apologizes for taking so long getting ready. :D

You claim to have a great fiance, kids, and more than enough money. The only concern you have is the drinks in PUJ and which super set would best highlight your delts. In reality we can see that your biggest concern is justifying your complete miss reading of SWA. I don't understand it either. A second generation pilot who still doesn't understand airline management is odd for me to grasp.
Not MORE than enough, but we do OK with what we have. Could always find ways to spend more, but don't HAVE to have it. ;)

The misjudgement came from thinking SWA management was different than other airlines' management teams. They simply do things with a smile and a "please". When that fails, the end result is like any other management team.

I don't think I'm any more guilty of that than anyone else at AirTran. We really did think that it would be different at Southwest. As you said, a 2nd generation pilot should have known better. I have to live with that, too.

Would be easier if Max didn't come on here twisting events to self-justify. I admit my shortcomings. He should, too. Then we can all move on and stop beating the dead horse.

:deadhorse:

:beer:

Last edited:
The misjudgement came from thinking SWA management was different than other airlines' management teams. They simply do things with a smile and a "please". When that fails, the end result is like any other management team.

I don't think I'm any more guilty of that than anyone else at AirTran. We really did think that it would be different at Southwest. As you said, a 2nd generation pilot should have known better. I have to live with that, too.

:deadhorse:

Who is we?

Who is we?
Pretty much every AirTran pilot.

That was part of the celebration initially. Thinking we'd get out from a management group that was stonewalling us in negotiations, acrimonious in grievance issues, etc, get a "fair" integration and move down the road. (without getting into what people think was "fair" or not, I'm not going there).

Now SWA management has put SWAPA on ice for THEIR negotiations, and come to find out that the grievance process for things that can't be settled with a Ronald McDonald van doesn't go any faster there than it does here...

I think you'd be hard-pressed to find an AirTran pilot who wasn't excited when the announcement came out, just as now you'd be hard-pressed to find an AirTran pilot who would tell you that they weren't unpleasantly surprised at how this all turned out. Are they moving on? Sure. Is it what they thought it would be? Nope.

Not exactly "news". Same stuff people have said before on here. No AirTran pilots expected SWA management to insert themselves into the middle of a A/M seniority integration with M/B on the books. It's never been done before. Ever. Except at Southwest, and that was before M/B. Should have learned from history.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back