• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA to lower mins?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The reason most pilots being hired have degrees is because most pilots applying have degrees. Like PLC refered to, if 98% of the pilots applying have degrees, and if 93% of the pilots being hired have a degree, you would have a better chance of being hired at SWA without a degree.

if 98% of the pilots applying have degrees, and if 93% of the pilots being hired have a degree, you would have a better chance of being hired at SWA without a degree.

You are not what I would call a smart man:cartman: You probably should stick to talking about things you can comprehend.

I understood pilotyip.

Interesting point, maybe your odds are better without the degree!

I wouldn't say that your odds are better. I think it's just a statistical anomaly. However, I would bet that your chances are just as good as a degreed applicant.

The odds of getting hired are not better if you don't have a degree.

Your percentage of guys without a degree getting hired compared to those not getting hired without a degree is higher, but still only represents 7%.

The odds of getting hired are in your favor if you can put yourself in the 93% group. ie:get a degree.

splain it

let me splain it again if 2% of the pilots applying, get 7% of the jobs, as opposed to 98% of pilots getting 93% of the jobs. the 7/2 ratio is better than the 93/98 ratio. It is simple math, no college dergee required to figure it out.

Last edited:
I applied to Southwest and never updated. One year later I still got called for an interview. Maybe I was just lucky.

let me splain it again if 2% of the pilots applying, get 7% of the jobs, as opposed to 98% of pilots getting 93% of the jobs. the 7/2 ratio is better than the 93/98 ratio. It is simple math, no college dergee required to figure it out.

Correlation does not imply causation
You don't have a degree, but your Uncle Cletus is the Chief pilot of the airline and you are offered a job. Was it the lack of a degree that got you the job, or your Uncle's connections? Not having a degree might look good with a ratio, but there are other factors that come into play.

Pilotyip, you are making this harder than it is. Did you work at Enron? Enron made profits out of funny numbers and accounting magic.

You said earlier that nearly 7% of the pilots HIRED did not have degrees. That means 93% of the successful hires did indeed have them.

Lets see, what pile do I want to be in? The "Has Degree" or "No Degree" stack? Absent other factors, what pile is statistically more likely to get you hired?

Long Live Enron

Latest resources

Back