• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA to lower mins?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I have about 1500 PIC in the E145, but have not put an app in yet. Anyone know if that counts strongly against you, or have people been hired when applying with a lot more than the mins?

Va paid for mine. The best investment they made for my benefit. The masters they paid for really didn't do much for me.

I heard that too...didn't say when though. I would count on it being 1300...then if it changes before you get it...you just got a gift!! :beer:

BTW---IMHO-It was a good investment for Old Uncle Sam too. He will now reap the rewards of your higher wages and his cut will be bigger than if you were at some other lower paying place!! So everybody wins.:pimp: Except for the guy who didn't gamble the $7380.00 on a type.
It is a gamble...but have you ever heard of pot odds? $7380.00 vs. a chance at a career with SWA. Sounds like pretty good pot odds to me!

Last edited:
Does sole manipulator of the controls count for the PIC time?
from the Southwest website:

Southwest Airlines defines "Pilot in Command" for the purposes of application for employment as the Pilot ultimately responsible for the operation and safety of the aircraft during flight. The Pilot in Command should also be the Pilot who signed for the aircraft and who is the ultimate authority for the operation of that flight. For military personnel, Southwest Airlines will allow flight time logged as "Pilot In Command" (PIC) only if you are the Captain/Aircraft Commander, Evaluator, or Instructor Pilot. Primary time will only be considered PIC on a specific aircraft after an individual upgrades to Aircraft Commander in the appropriate aircraft. Time logged, as "Other Time" will not be considered. When converting taxi time a conversion factor of .3 or eighteen minutes, per leg/sortie should be used. These guidelines are imposed by Southwest Airlines for the purpose of standardizing the calculation of flight time.

I have about 1500 PIC in the E145, but have not put an app in yet. Anyone know if that counts strongly against you, or have people been hired when applying with a lot more than the mins?

I initially applied with about 2000 jet PIC, I'm in class right now. Get it in. Good luck.

1300 turbine PIC and an extra 6 grand to purchase the job....er...type rating. Still a deal breaker for me. But there appears to be no shortage of willing participants, so the joke's on me, isn't it?

I have 2 friends that just got hired without the type. Obviously, they need to go get it but IMHO it pays for itself.

Latest resources

Back