• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA to lower mins?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I will agree that a 4 year degree has nothing to do with your ability to fly an airplane. But I do believe it has something to do with character. The ability to achieve a four(or longer) year goal. The wanting to put yourself above others on the education ladder. It's an achievement that you can hang you hat on.

I believe it is more of a barometer. Before a company agrees to hand you a job that will pay millions over a career, they would like to leave no stone unturned. The four year degree shows something about your ability to fiinish and/or complete. There is a reason why the Armed Forces(AF, N, MC) require a degree (and the grades) to fly. It says alot about the person.

I know there are exceptions to every rule and there are many great pilots out there with no higher education (a lot better than me). But possibly it gives credence to those who have educated and flown than those who have just flown. It's a barometer ... a sign of the character ... the drive ... and the willingness to better oneself ... it can say a lot.

And with all that said, I do know a lot of Idiots with degrees!!

Thats right and pretty soon a Peterbuilt CL6 type licence will be a requirement to work in the on-demand industry.

So in Summary

1) A college degree, aside from an Aeronautical University setting, has nothing to do with physically flying an airplane. Learning skills in college may carry over to airplane training however.

2) Good pilots exist with and without college degrees. Bad Pilots also.

3) More new-hires exist at airlines with degrees than not

4) Get a 737 type and you will probably have a better chance at a SWA interview than if not.

5) Trucks and Airplanes and truckstops and FBO's are not dissimilar.

How about getting this thread back on track?

Any rumors/news that SWA will readjust their mins to 1000 PIC turbine?

SWA College Degrees

When will we start requiring a 4 year degree? If we truly want the most qualified pilots, why do we allow others to slip in under the "school of life" degree, and other "diverse" garbage like that? By putting more requirements out there, we will inevitably get a higher quality person. Yes, I know people that won't (read: can't) go to other majors when hiring picks up will be more grateful, better workers, etc., but please!! Sometimes the PAs onboard just broadcast "Uh...duh...I have a high school education, just like the lav-dumper...Uh"

To expand on what Jeckel said above. Obtaining a college degree (in most cases) shows the applicant to be a thinker who had the discipline and ability to get through a rigorous 4 year course of study. The college attended and the type of major does matter but whether it was Physical Science at UMASS or Aeronatical Engineering at MIT, the person still had to apply themselves in a disciplined way. This is indicative of their suitability as an employee and makes them more attractive than an individual who has not obtained such a credential, in my opinion.

Having trained pilots in the military, the Engineers were often harder to train the non-science types. In fact the ones who seem to have the best skills were Industrial Arts and Phys Ed. majors No the requirement of the Engineering BS will raise the level of quality of the pilots coming into airline jobs.

If we truly want the most qualified pilots, why do we allow others to slip in under the "school of life" degree, and other "diverse" garbage like that? By putting more requirements out there, we will inevitably get a higher quality person.

So you truly believe in a direct correlation between the possession of a four year degree and the "quality" of the person? How narrow minded of you.

well put skyboy, judge by the content of character.

Latest resources

Back