• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Swa Pool

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I'm in class and the chief of training of talked to us. He said we were hiring 180 this year. 36 already have employee id numbers. Add in all 44 of the 60+ guys and that would leave 100 more from the pool this year (assuming all 60+ guys get hired). Good luck to all the poolies.

7 jets x 11 pilots/jet = 77 pilots for growth. Looks like there will be 0 retirements. Add a couple of guys for terminations, medicals, ect. Let's call that last group 13 guys to make a total of 80 new folks this year. 36 already are on property.

80-36 = 44

There are 44 oldies but goodies coming back. I would imagine, that there probably won't be anyone else from the pool called this year.

Just my observations on the pool math.

7 jets x 11 pilots/jet = 77 pilots for growth. Looks like there will be 0 retirements. Add a couple of guys for terminations, medicals, ect. Let's call that last group 13 guys to make a total of 80 new folks this year. 36 already are on property.

80-36 = 44

There are 44 oldies but goodies coming back. I would imagine, that there probably won't be anyone else from the pool called this year.

Just my observations on the pool math.

Tanker Clown... normally your info is spot on but I think you're a little off base this time. First off, not all the 60+ guys are going to get re-hired. The whole reason SWA is making them go through a formal interview again is because they want to weed a few of them out. Otherwise they would just send them all straight to training.

As far as airplanes, SWA has a new maintenance program which will allow 7 additional airplanes to be utilized for revenue flights as compared to last year.

And as for retirments, I agree a vast majority of pilots will stay, but not ALL of them. I taked to a Chief pilot and they had 3 pilots still choose to retire in Jan.

So, 14 x 11 = 154. Add in around 10 for retirements and you can get pretty close to that 180 number. I agree that's probably too high, but I guarantee there will be at least some additional poolies going to training this year.

In fact, SWA just called me last week to go get my drug test. I'm still at least 3 or 4 classes away, but they wouldn't be spending the money if they didn't think there was a pretty good chance we'll be going to training in the next 6 months.

Just my $.02. We'll all know for sure what happens this year around Dec 31st.

Tanker Clown... normally your info is spot on but I think you're a little off base this time. First off, not all the 60+ guys are going to get re-hired. The whole reason SWA is making them go through a formal interview again is because they want to weed a few of them out. Otherwise they would just send them all straight to training.

As far as airplanes, SWA has a new maintenance program which will allow 7 additional airplanes to be utilized for revenue flights as compared to last year.

And as for retirments, I agree a vast majority of pilots will stay, but not ALL of them. I taked to a Chief pilot and they had 3 pilots still choose to retire in Jan.

So, 14 x 11 = 154. Add in around 10 for retirements and you can get pretty close to that 180 number. I agree that's probably too high, but I guarantee there will be at least some additional poolies going to training this year.

In fact, SWA just called me last week to go get my drug test. I'm still at least 3 or 4 classes away, but they wouldn't be spending the money if they didn't think there was a pretty good chance we'll be going to training in the next 6 months.

Just my $.02. We'll all know for sure what happens this year around Dec 31st.

My man, I hope you are right and I am wrong. I'm telling you guys what my buddy tells me. He's pretty in the know in Dallas. The economic realities are what they are. Not to even mention the remote possibility that SWA merges with someone. I hope I am wrong. I really do.

Maybe the economy ends up not being as bad and some of these other clowns merge and reduce capacity and SWA fills the void. If that's the case, maybe the whole pool is emptied by the end of the year.

Thanks for the observation T.C. I suppose now you're going to tell us that there is no such thing as Santa and that the Tooth Fairy was really just my parents.

Don't mind me...all this swimming is making me crazy.

Sorry man...my advice would be to plan for the worst and hope for the best.

I interviewed in June/2007 with the type rating, and I am in the pool. I haven't started class yet. It's not possible that people who interviewed in August or September 2007 started class yet.

Hey guys....saw the list in the crew room of all the old guys that want to come back. From the comments being made in the lounge you can bet some of the AS#H#@%S will get face shots from line guys....I would be surprised if 25% of them make it back. It will be interesting at best!

Hey guys....saw the list in the crew room of all the old guys that want to come back. From the comments being made in the lounge you can bet some of the AS#H#@%S will get face shots from line guys....I would be surprised if 25% of them make it back. It will be interesting at best!

Finally, some good news!!!

Latest resources

Back