• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Swa Pool

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Do you really think the angst from some folks will be enough to keep out these guys who "helped build the brand?..."

I'm not shooting here...just asking. I'm normally not very sympathetic to SWA management...but that has to be a tough, tough spot to be in. Telling someone who was on the property 10, 15, or 20 years "well...you aren't really what we are looking for..." has got to be one very AWKWARD situation. Also--if you are the kind of guy to go out of your way to blackball a former captain....are you concerned at all about what HIS buddies still on property might do if they know who did the negative campaigning?

There are a lot of new issues and potential flashpoints with these law changes. I'm sure it is going to test the unity at not only SWA, but a lot of other carriers (mine included) as well.

I bet 40 of the 44 get asked back.

Just imagine, a bunch of line guys dislike a old guy coming back...but that guy (who no one likes) was thought of highly enough by the company to be a check airman.

I got a feeling, the bad recs won't matter much.

Not all the old retired dudes "built the company." If hired in their 50's, which we definetly had some, they've barely been here since 911.

Do you really think the angst from some folks will be enough to keep out these guys who "helped build the brand?..."

I'm not shooting here...just asking. I'm normally not very sympathetic to SWA management...but that has to be a tough, tough spot to be in. Telling someone who was on the property 10, 15, or 20 years "well...you aren't really what we are looking for..." has got to be one very AWKWARD situation. Also--if you are the kind of guy to go out of your way to blackball a former captain....are you concerned at all about what HIS buddies still on property might do if they know who did the negative campaigning? .

First of all with all your interview/H.R. experience you should know that being 'AWKWARD' has nothing to do with their final decision. They don't have to explain themselves to the candidate at all. Times change and what they are looking for changes. Secondly I doubt that SWA is going to publish the negative letters and who wrote them, therefore HIS buddies will have no idea who 'blackballed' him.

There are always some guys who get hired and it was a mistake, this is a chance to correct some of those mistakes, hopefully just a few.

Last edited:
First of all with all your interview/H.R. experience you should know that being 'AWKWARD' has nothing to do with their final decision. They don't have to explain themselves to the candidate at all.

Times change and what they are looking for changes.

Secondly I doubt that SWA is going to publish the negative letters and who wrote them, therefore HIS buddies will have no idea who 'blackballed' him.

There are always some guys who get hired and it was a mistake, this is a chance to correct some of those mistakes, hopefully just a few.

Matrix,

You are certainly correct that management doesnt' have to explain their decisions. At the same time, if you look at the demographics of the chief pilots, managers, recruiters, etc at SWA I think you'll find a lot of guys closer in age to the guys who are approaching or are over 60 than the new hires from the last few years. Some of those returning guys are probably drinking buddies with some of the current leadership. Of course there are exceptions, but when you interviewed at SWA did you interview with a retired captain? I think SWA has hung on to some of their older guys in the past as a way to try to link and preserve their unique culture (and I say this as a compliment).

Now...if you were a CP and got a few nasty letters or emails about a guy you'd flown with, trained with, and perhaps liked...before you canned him would you at least ask HIS side of the story? And if he asked that pilot about WHY there were certain complaints I think most of those guys getting questioned could think of 3-4 dudes who might have had a beef with them. And then...over a game of golf, or a backyard BBQ, mention to their old buddy that FO so and so was a little weasel and to "watch their back..." People talk. It happens. I'm NOT saying you cannot march right in with 20 other guys and say "Capt so and so was a jerk...". What I am saying is that if you take a shot at someone and then miss...or even if you hit them but their powerful buddies are still there...just consider the consequences. Don't wound a Rhino if you know what I mean. Have good aim or let it slide.. Again...if its one of those obvious targets with tons of issues...making the call probably won't be so tough. Just be careful is my advice.

On changing times? Amen. Its a different industry than in 2000, or even 2003. God help us all!

Every time I comment on SWA I seem to raise some hackels. I've got a lot of friends there, and I know they enjoy their careers. I hope everyone there can hang on to what they have and keep that special culture. My comments are simply that with junior and senior guys tense, a tough market out there, and potential merger rumors every day, everyone is on edge and it has to be tough to keep the magic going. I wish all of success...and hope those poolies get their shots soon too.

I've often wondered if that Southwest process of letting employees 'blackball' another applicant has come back to bite them.

Making derogatory statements about someone, diminishing their chances without them even knowing, or having the ability to defend themselves seems slanderous.

Yeah, I know..............to protect the "CULTure"

Thanks Tristar,

I'll do my part....as of Friday, PD is still tentatively planning on 3 April classes (20-24 each). They have no idea how many 60+ guys will get hired back. They are going through full process, including decision board.

So we have 300+ that are in the pool. How many of the pilots that are in the pool already have jobs at other airlines like Dal or Co. If so what are your thoughts of actually taking a class date as your seniority grows at your current airline.

Echoeing a little bit.....spoke today to PD and they did say that the 3 Apr classes were expected to be filled solely by the 60+ guys....the decision to fill in some poolies here and there with them has yet to be determined.....maybe they'll have a different syllabus or training schedule??? That being said, they told me that after those 3 April classes, none planned until August, Sept., then maybe Oct....depending on how maybe poolies needed to fill the company quota. Good news, I guess? Keep swimming guys!

Latest resources

Back