Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The visual of Hillary giving a ballwash just made me throw up in my mouth

That's funny.

If I recall, after a extended time in the hiring pool, UPS reinterviewed their poolies back in 2005. Some didn't make the cut the 2nd time around. I guess anything can happen, but I highly doubt SWA will reinterview those in the pool now. That just doesn't seem like something they would do.

I've been reading a lot of this bantering about retirees going back to SWA and I'm trying to look at it from their perspective. They've been with this "family" for the past 15-20 years and were forced to retire when they reached 60. If I were a retiree, personally, I don't think I should have to reinterview to rejoin this "family." These guys passed their interview that got them hired 16-21 years ago! (I bet Herb and Colleen will remain part of the Southwest "family" long after they retire next month and won't have to "reinterview" to take another active roll in the company.) This "interview" for the retires is probably just a formality. Afterall, they're proven themselves with a supposed successful pilot career at SWA. And as a company, why wouldn't SWA want these guys, who are the most experienced SWA pilots, back on property as soon as possible?

From what I hear, Southwest seems to take care of their "family." Maybe this is another way they are doing this.

For what its worth, what they're doing is fair and per the new rule. The interview for the retired guys to return is required by the law that was passed regarding age 65. It specifically states that anyone wishing to return to their previous carrier would have to be treated same as any other who wishes to work for the carrier- no previous seniority, pay, status, etc will be reassumed. They must start all over again. No grandfathering into the new rule.

It sucks for those of us swimming, but understandable and commendable of southwest to take care of their family while playing by the rules. I would expect the same when it's my turn to be a part of the family.

I am still trying to figure out why a captain making 170/hr or whatever it is would want to come back and throw the gear for 50/hr and be on reserve in OAK. I guess if they love the job that much then more power to them, but if it were me...i think I would just go buy a small plane and enjoy my retirement.

some of these guys just love the job (one in particular I can think of is the best guy in the world!). My face hurt after a trip I was laughing so much, and the flight attendants loved him too. Unfortunately, he will not return to the same job he left, and I don't think the full realization will set in until he is back.

I was never for the age 60 change, hurt movement, etc etc.... but I think the guys who really got screwed are the ones who just missed the boat by a little and wanted to keep working.

Last edited:
It sucks for those of us swimming, but understandable and commendable of southwest to take care of their family while playing by the rules. I would expect the same when it's my turn to be a part of the family.

You know, we haven't heard much from the SWA kool-aid drinkers lately. No classes?

I start class next week with 15 other poolies. The first March class is supposedly for the Age 60+ guys. There is a rumor about another March class after that, but I haven't heard anything substantial.

My class will be throwing the party for the March class of Age 60+ guys when they start their class. Does Wild Turkey mix well with prune juice?

I am still trying to figure out why a captain making 170/hr or whatever it is would want to come back and throw the gear for 50/hr and be on reserve in OAK. I guess if they love the job that much then more power to them, but if it were me...i think I would just go buy a small plane and enjoy my retirement.

I couldn't agree more. I think some of these guys are in for a reality check.

As for making them interview not only is it required per the legislation, but gives SWA a way of saying "no thanks" if someone they would rather not want back tries to return.

Latest resources

Back