• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Swa Pool 2

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
guys it's not a pride question- it's a seniority one. I LOVE how southwest does business and how it's pilots work. Love it. How you work may just be the short answer to any question i have.
The question is- will it always be that way. How long can FO's be making what many other airlines captains are making? Will SWA go into the red w/ fuel this high- and then being an FO might not be as rosy a deal... see what i mean? It's not what it is right now- to me- what it is right now is fantastic- it's what it will be that i want information on. And that's all i want- What gives you guys over there cause for optimism? Your history is filled w/ meeting challenges, what challenges will you be facing- and how do you think southwest will change in the next 30 years?

I get worried when so many there seem to think that swa is immune to industry problems. youre not immune- the success you've had is in how you've handled them.

I'm not by ANY STRETCH an SWA doubter. Playing devil's advocate just answer a few questions:

1- history shows explosive growth often leads to a contraction- will this happen at swa?
2- exec leadership usually faulters after the initial ceo that built the company leaves- how confident are you in GK and the rest in the pipeline?
3- seems every pilot i knew that had an unstable career got hired on the back end of a hiring wave at the "hot" carrier at the time- ie: united, AA, usair- It seems the growth won't be as explosive for SWA in the coming years- how will being on the back end of the hiring affect you?

Congrats in getting hired- it will be better than your regional on day one-- You stated the exact reason no airline should ever release scope and give flying to these companies-- But saying it's better than a regional or FO is better than some capt's today- which i AGREE w/ = too much of our career has been focused on making captain's lives good- but it doesn't answer my questions.

Not trying to piss in the pool...
but honestly-- i love being pro-company, especially pro-southwest who deserves it---- but it makes me nervous when guys won't even look at the challenges ahead---
In the end, it's been so good there for so long-- is the pilot group and the company up for the challenges that may lay ahead like the employees that built it were--- or is there a sense of entitlement? ?
I hope everyone continues to give their best there--- you do that and you will always have a leg up on the competition. But the pilots' who have been there a while- what do you think? Does the bottom half of the seniority list have the same heart as you? Does GK and future execs have the same heart as Herb?

Beat ya to it, DD!! Enjoy the party fellas.

Name-----------------Pool Date-----Class Date
lakempnative-------------6/10/07------5/14/08
capt1900------------------6/10/07------ 5/14/08
msmb---------------------6/11/07-------
SW Poolie-----------------6/11/07-------
SW Poolie (LH) ------------6/11/07-------
SW Poolie-----------------6/11/07-------
obadie--------------------6/12/07------- 5/14/08
palmtressairlines.----------6/12/07-------5/14/08
GuyBehindTheGuy----------6/12/07-------5/14/08
10.VoidFighter------------6/12/07-------5/14/08
Superherc----------------6/12/07-------5/14/08
So cal--------------------6/14/07-------5/14/08
SW Poolie----------------6/14/07-------
SW Poolie----------------6/16/07-------
SW Poolie-----------------6/16/07-------
MJG-----------------------6/17/07-------
Luckie13------------------6/17/07-------5/14/08
20.SW Poolie--------------6/17/07-------
SW Poolie-----------------6/17/07-------
Uplift---------------------6/18/07-------
RogerMOSA----------------6/19/07-------
Nutts---------------------6/19/07-------
f340dvr-------------------6/20/07-------
Chellsha-------------------6/20/07-------
Bluto13--------------------6/21/07-------
30.ofacegangsta-----------6/21/07-------
2jet-----------------------6/21/07-------
Rosie----------------------6/21/07-------
Flybigsky------------------6/22/07--------
SW Poolie-----------------6/22/07-------
SW Poolie-----------------6/24/07-------
Sundevil-------------------6/26/07-------
BOZO----------------------6/26/07-------
Beech Balls-----------------6/27/07-------
b727fe---------------------6/28/07-------
40.ddp---------------------6/30/07-------
SWPoolie-------------------6/30/07-------
TXDanno-------------------7/01/07-------
DesertDuck-----------------7/07/07--------
SW Poolie(SF)--------------7/08/07--------
Bayou Bengal---------------7/10/07------
beechbumn-----------------7/10/07--------
SW Poolie (SG)-------------7/10/07--------
50Pesos--------------------7/12/07-------
SW Poolie------------------7/14/07------
50.Califlyer-----------------7/15/07-------
WNC Flyer------------------7/16/07-------
PJF-------------------------7/17/07-------
SWPoolie(CF)---------------7/17/07-------
JBFlies---------------------7/17/07-------
SWPoolie-------------------7/17/07--------
Jdru25----------------------7/17/07-------
SwPoolie(JW)---------------7/18/07--------
U2drvr----------------------7/19/07--------
cvr104----------------------7/19/07-------
60.skypine69----------------7/22/07--------
SWPoolie--------------------7/23/07--------
Tristarpilot------------------7/24/07---------
Pandasfly-------------------7/25/07--------
Inigo Mentoya--------------7/29/07--------
SW Poolie-------------------8/05/07--------
Ghettobeechjet--------------8/05/07--------
Island Driver ----------------8/05/07--------
SW Poolie-------------------8/12/07--------
Huge------------------------8/14/07--------
70.Texman------------------8/14/07--------
Sabregirl--------------------8/15/07--------
DT--------------------------8/17/07--------
gradywhite------------------8/20/07--------
srv141----------------------9/16/07--------
Mickey D--------------------9/28/07--------
SW Poolie-------------------9/28/07--------
showboats------------------9/30/07--------
ARJLVR---------------------10/6/07--------
Snake---------------------12-1(ish)-07----

1- history shows explosive growth often leads to a contraction- will this happen at swa?
2- exec leadership usually faulters after the initial ceo that built the company leaves- how confident are you in GK and the rest in the pipeline?
3- seems every pilot i knew that had an unstable career got hired on the back end of a hiring wave at the "hot" carrier at the time- ie: united, AA, usair- It seems the growth won't be as explosive for SWA in the coming years- how will being on the back end of the hiring affect you?

1. We have never had "explosive" growth. We have always tried to have 7-10% growth MAX. Hardly "explosive." It's smart growth. If a company is not growing, it's dying.

2. Most of us are confident in GK's leadership abilities. This company, along with myself, believes that a leader is only as good as his "teammates." GK has a great leadership team around him.

3. Our hiring has definetly slowed down. For those that were expecting 2 months of reserve and sliding into the base they want are feeling the effects of slowed hiring. It has to be a bit of a let-down for them. However, we are still running classes, there is some movement, and regardless of the rate in which a newhire moves up the seniority list, life is okay. Our reserves have a MIN of 15 days off and low-end lines have 16-17 days off. Second year pay takes some sting out of the wound.

With that being said, Southwest is not invincible. Nothing is guaranteed at ANY airline, promises are only worth the paper they are printed on, rumors are rumors, and this industry is one wild ride. We may be "Southwest Who?" in ten years. United might rule the world. UPS might own the freight world. Regardless of your airline, if you don't have 6th months of living expenses liquid, if you live outside your means, if you think that your paycheck will always come, if you think that you'll never be furloughed or unemployed, you're nuts.

Congrats to the 23 April trainees. I saw the list today...24 total (21 new hires, 1 60+ guy and 2 FAA types). We gave them a good welcome party tonite.

Looking forward to the May classes coming!

Latest resources

Back