Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA pilot turns down FedEx? Tell me more...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
firstthird said:
I suspect that the reason for the thread is that getting a FEDEX interview is not as simple as putting in an application. If it was then I would agree, not a big deal. But since you need a sponsor (or 3), do a meet & greet that is separate from the interview, get yourself to both the meet & greet and the interview and pay for a hotel room; it is a significant investment of time and effort for the interviewee and the people who sponsor him.

Thus, the hoi polloi find it interesting that someone would go to all that trouble and then turn it down due to an initial base assignment. Just seems strange. I agree that it is obviously an intensely personal/family decision; but that being said, asking people to walk your stuff in, get you a meet & greet, etc and then turn down an offer invites questions. Of course, the whole story could be vastly different but this wouldn't be an internet rumor board if everything was reported in the USA Today already, we wouldn't be coming here if it was.

I would agree. I believe that's the reason why FedEx requires the meet and greet and for you to have a "sponsor" to get hired. They've been burned before. It's their way of placing a little personal/pilot accountability in the hiring process. This guy's sponsor laid it all out there for him. The sponsor may not have have the same credibility now. I'm sure this was an isolated incident.... and the decision was made with unique circumstances we'll never understand.

Purpled said:
Yeah, I think we get that part. But you're the only one who seems to know the way he did it and one quote doesn't really capture the atmosphere. We'd all agree with the 'don't be a jerk' philosophy.

The real focus is that it is pointless to guess why(or how) he did what he did without his input. Everything else is just conjecture. Sure, I'm curious too, but I'd want to hear it from him or from someone that he's told.

Peace!

I thought the posted email from JL was a good indicator? :confused:

Rez O. Lewshun said:
Are you guys reading?

FedEx and SWA aren't 10-12 year cycles!
Are you saying that FedEx and SWA are more than 12-year cycles? If so, they haven't demonstrated it yet. I'm not saying that both haven't been getting well-qualified applicants for the last 10 years. What I'm saying is that quite a few of the people they got were hoping to get a call from one of the legacy carriers first.

Apparently, the problem is even receiving some attention from the hiring committee at FE, since they're subjecting furloughed legacy pilots to increased scrutiny as part of the hiring process. Ten years ago, United, American, and Delta never felt it necessary to ask their pilot-applicants if they would take a job at FedEx or SWA if one were offered.

One of the things that makes a company FOTW is growth, both in it's market, and of it's pilot group. Both FedEx and SWA have pretty much carved up all there is to carve up in their respective markets. Moreover, the FedEX (and to a lesser extent, the UPS) pilot groups have the spectre of ACMI carriers to deal with, while their corporate sponsors face new competition from DHL and a host of smaller forwarders. I don't know much about SWA, but it seems like they've derived at least some of their market advantage from their political connections. Such relationships are rarely etched in stone. Political connections can become political liabilities overnight, a situation which other carriers such as AA would no doubt exploit mercilessly.

Perhaps FedEX and SWA will eventually become "Quarter-century FOTW's," but if they do, they will be the first.

Rez O. Lewshun said:
I thought the posted email from JL was a good indicator? :confused:

It said that he declined because he was headed to ANC. It didn't say his reasoning, thought process or attitude. I also couldn't tell if he was in the pool over at SWA or on the property.

Whistlin' Dan said:
Perhaps FedEX and SWA will eventually become "Quarter-century FOTW's," but if they do, they will be the first.

Perhaps someday you will find a flying job and you will understand more about this industry.

GuppyWN said:
Hey Vette,

I like your attitude. Wanna job at SWA? I can't really help you get a job but we always need guys? like you here.

Gup

Hey, thanks, I would LUV to work there. Had my app in for over a year, have the type, nothing.

I am just waiting my turn. Lot's of quality guys out there.

Back to the point, sometimes we forget the meaning of a handshake and our word. If you accept a job, shake the CP's hand as he welcomes you, then you have a responsibility to them. To be honest and fair at a minimum.

Mark

Just wanted to live in MEM

I hate to start this painful thread back up, but I thought I might attempt to shed some light on this subject and hopefully help put an end to the discussion.

My sponsor is a FedEx management type that personally know this dude and his sponsor. He is a SWA guy that lives in MEM and has a spouse that is from there. He applied to FedEx on the hope that he would be hired and spend his days in his hometown. Who would have known he'd be offered the biggest jet they have based in ANC? I'm sure he knew the possibility of being based in ANC in the days leading up to his phone call and I'm sure he discussed this possibility with his spouse. Apparently, he liked working for SWA and having to commute more than working for FedEx and having to commute. It was his decision to make and he made it. His sponsor probably understands and supports him.

I'm sure I'll get flamed for this, but I wish the dude well. It took a lot of balls to turn down a job like that. No single QOL issue is more important that living where you want to live. Living in your hometown, possibly close to freinds and family and familiar surroundings, is priceless.

My question is: Why does anyone care? FedEx poolies ought to happy, that's one class slot closer to you. Current FedEx dudes, why would you want to fly with a guy that doesn't want to be there? SWA dudes, you ought to be proud the guy stayed.

Here's the bottom line. You have to look out for yourself and do what's best for you and your family. This is not working for Uncle Sam. Any airline can and will furlough you in the event the airline falls on hard times. I have a letter from AA that says I'll never be furloughed. What is that letter worth today? You have to be loyal to you and yours. Can I say some of you weren't loyal to the USA when you separated from the military? Of course not. You did what was right for you.

Good luck, SWA dude, we'll see how it all shakes down when we all turn 60 (or 65 :mad: ).

Cheers, Hag :beer:

Hagar17 said:
I'm sure I'll get flamed for this, but I wish the dude well. It took a lot of balls to turn down a job like that. No single QOL issue is more important that living where you want to live. Living in your hometown, possibly close to freinds and family and familiar surroundings, is priceless.

My question is: Why does anyone care? FedEx poolies ought to happy, that's one class slot closer to you. Current FedEx dudes, why would you want to fly with a guy that doesn't want to be there? SWA dudes, you ought to be proud the guy stayed.

My question is.....

Why not commute to ANC for a short period and get to MEM when he can? He is already commuting and I don't think SWA will have a MEM base.......for a very long time.... ANC while isn't instant gratification gets him to MEM quicker than LUV will.....

Your explanation of his reasoning seems short sighted.

We all keep refusing to look at this from KD/JL's prespective.....

There are plenty of guys that would love to come to FedEx with out the conditionals..... So why should KD/JL have to deal with it..... The fact is FX is the one of the hottest chicks on the block that many want to date... Until that changes.... They get to pick an choose...

Where is the responsibility to your fellow pilots? Why muck it up and create another hoop to jump thru for the guys trying to get on behind you...

I don't get it..... is this all about "me me me"?

Hagar17 said:
He is a SWA guy that lives in MEM and has a spouse that is from there. He applied to FedEx on the hope that he would be hired and spend his days in his hometown.
Pinnacle would base him out of MEM.

Latest resources

Back