Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA pilot turns down FedEx? Tell me more...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
To each his own

A buddy of mine was on furlough from ATA. Got interviews at FEDEX, UPS and SWA all at the same time. FEDEX was the first to offer him a job and he started class right away. As soon as the SWA DB convened he got the news there -- about a week into training at FEDEX. He flies for LUV now. This was a while back, but sounds vaguely similar to the story that started this thread.

I'm sure any of us would have done the same ESPECIALLY if we were on furlough at the time.

Captain X said:
A buddy of mine was on furlough from ATA. Got interviews at FEDEX, UPS and SWA all at the same time. FEDEX was the first to offer him a job and he started class right away. As soon as the SWA DB convened he got the news there -- about a week into training at FEDEX. He flies for LUV now. This was a while back, but sounds vaguely similar to the story that started this thread.

I'm sure any of us would have done the same ESPECIALLY if we were on furlough at the time.

Again..and carried over from the other thread on the same topic....

it takes a little bit of character and tact to pull this off without screwing your fellow pilot.

FedEx is real weary of hiring furloughed legacy pilots becuase these pilots in the past have left FedEx when they were recalled. FedEx thought they hired lifers. Now any legacy pilot on furlough has to jump thru more hoops.

FedEx now asks on thier on line pilot profile application if one is furloughed or not.

The pilot in question on this thread left a bad impression....

Hopefully FedEx won't modify thier application to "Are you scheduled to interview with another carrier or in another carriers hiring pool?"

Awww... do the big-bad airline management folks get their feelings hurt?

Tough. Interviewing is an opportunity to look at the inside of an operation. As pilots we show up salivating for the chance to fly for company "X" when what we SHOULD be doing is interviewing THEM...just as they interview us.

Researching a company can only take you so far. Think of the interview as a first date. First impressions mean a lot. Sure, she is still the one who knows whether or not you're getting lucky -- but you can still decide if you even WANT to!

I find it amusing that airline management wants to hire "lifers". The fact that they expect that kind of commitment is laughable when you consider that they will offer no such commitment to you. As soon as the economic environment turns they will kick you to the curb without a second thought. (sounding more like a woman all the time actually).

In the mid 1980s a US Airways pilot was furloughed. He subsequently got hired by Southwest and, over the next decade, upgraded. In 1999 he was recalled by US Airways and returned. His reason? The retirement, at the time, was superior at USAir.

Today he's furloughed (and I dont know where he is.) He made a business decision and he's living with it.

I refuse to jump headfirst into some airline job simply because they have a flavor-of-the-month "name". Let's leave that kind of faulty decision making to the young-kids at the regionals.

There are good companies out there. Both SWA and FedEx are examples. It stands to reason that there might be pilots at both who wonder what color the grass is on the other side. The best way to see would be to take part in an interview. There is no rule that you must say "yes" if the job is offered.

For FedEx management to take offense to such a practice simply proves they are oblivious to the evolution of the pilot-career. We have been burned by management before (furloughing us when times get bad, but expecting 100% loyalty indefinately).

One poster here (I forget who) has a signature line that says, "Run your life like a business". I think that is sage advice.

Maybe he did want to work for FedEx, maybe he has buds there and want's to work there.

BUT then this came up -

- MOVING (wife and kids don't want to)
- Commuting, (he and family did not want this)
- Wife just got a new job?
- Wife is pregnant again?
- Upgrade may be just around the corner?
- Death in the Family?

It could go on and on. Why we choose one thing over another, is sometimes more complex then just what airline has the best pay, union, benifits, etc.

Mark

BenderGonzales said:
There are good companies out there. Both SWA and FedEx are examples. It stands to reason that there might be pilots at both who wonder what color the grass is on the other side. The best way to see would be to take part in an interview. There is no rule that you must say "yes" if the job is offered.

I agree, you interviewing does not make you any way shape or form responsible for saying yes to their offer. NOW, most have already made their mind up, as they would not be seeking employment there if they were predisposed to "not want to work there". But, sometimes things, events, etc come into light during the interview that could change your mind.

They did not pay you to interview, so you owe them nothing other then to be polite and honest.

Now, the felow in the above post took the job, and starting training, then bailed. That is rather on the shady side, BUT he may have been stand up about it, and spoke with FedEx and gave them 1 weeks worth of pay back.
If it were me, I would have offered to pay for the time that I had wasted.

Mark

Well put Bender...

I love my company, but this is business. They will fire, furlough, discipline, or manipulate your schedule based on their fiscal needs and limited by your contract. You can have a heart of gold, but if your number comes up at furlough time you are SOL.

You don't have to be a lying dirtbag--but you owe your family and your own career the best offer you think you can find. While SWA and FDX can both say "we want loyalty, and we've never furloughed a pilot..." I don't think there are many companies that can say that. I think both companies have management that WANTS to do the right thing for the majority of its pilots, but the current pace of of negotiations at our company is a reminder to everyone that this is pure business.

Bender and Albie-

What you believe and how you act are two different things....

The delivery often screws up the message. In this case, the offending pilot came across as unappreciative or took KD/JL for granted.

How about-

"Thank you very much for the offer, however I have been very fortunate enough to have multiple employment opportunities (thanks to Emerald Coast :) ) and another carriers offer fits my family slightly better. I am really torn, but I must defer or decline."

Instead of "Naw... Call me when MEM opens up"

There are plenty of applicants that are willing not to go pool party hopping. Let's keep it so we still can.....

I'd hate to be the one to negatively change a companies hiring policy making it worse for the guys behind me trying to get on.....

Nice post, Benzer. (#23)

BenderGonzales said:
Awww... do the big-bad airline management folks get their feelings hurt?

Tough. Interviewing is an opportunity to look at the inside of an operation. As pilots we show up salivating for the chance to fly for company "X" when what we SHOULD be doing is interviewing THEM...just as they interview us.

Researching a company can only take you so far. Think of the interview as a first date. First impressions mean a lot. Sure, she is still the one who knows whether or not you're getting lucky -- but you can still decide if you even WANT to!

I find it amusing that airline management wants to hire "lifers". The fact that they expect that kind of commitment is laughable when you consider that they will offer no such commitment to you. As soon as the economic environment turns they will kick you to the curb without a second thought. (sounding more like a woman all the time actually).

In the mid 1980s a US Airways pilot was furloughed. He subsequently got hired by Southwest and, over the next decade, upgraded. In 1999 he was recalled by US Airways and returned. His reason? The retirement, at the time, was superior at USAir.

Today he's furloughed (and I dont know where he is.) He made a business decision and he's living with it.

I refuse to jump headfirst into some airline job simply because they have a flavor-of-the-month "name". Let's leave that kind of faulty decision making to the young-kids at the regionals.

For FedEx management to take offense to such a practice simply proves they are oblivious to the evolution of the pilot-career. We have been burned by management before (furloughing us when times get bad, but expecting 100% loyalty indefinately).

One poster here (I forget who) has a signature line that says, "Run your life like a business". I think that is sage advice.

I have to agree Goggles. Very good post Bender. BRAVO!

Latest resources

Back