Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA pilot turns down FedEx? Tell me more...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

FlyBoeingJets

YES, that's NICE
I thought this was a rumor out of control, but now my trustworthy bud has forwarded confirmation to me--

" We have started hiring into the MD-11 F/O seat in Anchorage.
We'll do 10 new hires every two weeks. One pool person from Southwest
declined to come because he was headed for Anchorage. The first 8 Purple Nuggets started the 22nd and were bubbly and enthusiastic. Always a pleasure to meet pilots who are elated to be here. Meet and greets are now stopped for a while, however, currently scheduled appointments will be honored. Expect meet and greets to start up again in December or so."

I know there was a previous thread similar to this. But what is up with this person? Someone has got to know this guy/gal. Give us some more info.

Why would someone go thru the process of getting a FedEx interview just to turn down not just an SO class, but widebody FO? Cutting the training cycles from 2 or 3 to just one for the next 6-10 years.

What was this person waiting for to make this decision? For the pax industry to start recovering and raise fares to cover lack of fuel hedges? Waiting for SWA announce the firm intention of having a 600+ airplane fleet by 2011?

Or did some realization (real or imagined) finally hit home? Like the myth of the fuel hedge being the only reason SWA is profitable (don't forget huge CAPEX budget of 1.2B a year, profit sharing and taxes on both). Or the myth that UAL will finally kick SWA's butt when they get out of BK with "lower" costs. I think we all know SWA will still be profitable with no hedging and the fleet shrinkage elsewhere is evidence lower costs have not been achieved.

Or something more intangible. Like a realization that SWA treats their employees well, despite the lack of a sweetheart ALPA contract. Maybe because of it?

Or a desire to spend the rest of their working life with people who are generally friendly. I know one SWA hire that left Delta to be with more positive people.

Last edited:
does anyone else find the purple nugget name just funny?

FlyBoeingJets,

I'm not understanding what your trying to say or do here. So he turned FedEx down, who fricken cares! Maybe it (FedEx) wasn't for him and SWA is. Throwing in the SWA treats employees great and the ALPA contract thing isn't necessary. You'll stir up the pot and bad juju will come out.

RJ

RJones said:
FlyBoeingJets,

I'm not understanding what your trying to say or do here. So he turned FedEx down, who fricken cares! Maybe it (FedEx) wasn't for him and SWA is. Throwing in the SWA treats employees great and the ALPA contract thing isn't necessary. You'll stir up the pot and bad juju will come out.

RJ

I like to hash things out, not just stir the pot. There is a difference but maybe not one that most folks care to differentiate. I don't flamebait. But I do hash things out way to much. I can do that here and not alienate my non-cyber friends.

What am I trying to do? Not exactly sure myself. I have an interest (obsession) in figuring out which company does what best. And this issue is a perfect example of someone trying to figure that out. I see two different companies, each of which is a great place to work (I know SWA is and hear FedEx is) but are, in many ways, very different. A very interesting drama, IMHO. Since I have an interest in this I assume folks considering a job change (read Interview Board) have even more of an interest than me.

Truth be told, I don't know how FedEx treats their folks. So bad on me. I assume it can't be as good as SWA.

The ALPA contract thing is controversial too.

IMHO--ALPA is a more militant union than SWAPA. When ALPA comes on board certain things tend to happen. Power leaves the membership and flows to the LECs and MECs and national. The company gets frustrated with ALPA and starts to treat the contract and employees with less gentleness. Battle lines are often drawn as ALPA gets very aggressive with enforcement and grievances. The employee/employer relationship loses its closeness and flexibility as each looks at the other as the enemy.

But maybe this isn't ALPA. The APA has some of the same issues. SWAPA seems less militant.

You are right. I'm mixing too many things together in this thread.

Last edited:
FlyBoeingJets said:
Why would someone go thru the process of getting a FedEx interview just to turn down not just an SO class, but widebody FO?
I doubt that it was money. Maybe there were some QOL issues? An Anchorage base wouldn't appeal to me, either.

Maybe he's worried that in 10-15 years, all cargo will be flown by ACMI carriers?

Maybe he has a young, attractive wife, and the thought of leaving her alone for 6-10 days at a time while he gallavants around the world left him with "concerns for her "safety?"

Maybe he was just using the FedEx experience to polish up his skills for his upcoming UPS interview?

Or may-beee...he just likes Southwest Airlines, likes the people he works with, the places he goes, the equipment he flies, the way he's treated by everyone from the CEO to the janitors.

In any case, I respect the guy. I've known a lot of pilots who have been lured away by the "Flavor-of-the-Week" airlines. Some of 'em are still driving trucks...

Honestly who really gives a crap you're comparing apples to oranges.

SWA is a different company than FDX. Maybe he enjoys being home every night because he might be based at his domicle. Maybe he doesn't want to airline to ANC.

It's his choice and good for him to sticking to a QOL issue rather than I made 200K but my kids don't know who I am issue.

Just a thought but it's his own choice.

Latest resources

Back