• Watchers 32

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Whine Lover said:
A nice cottage near a lake, a pickup and a good duck boat are really all a man needs in life...( certainly, this is an oversimplification but you get the idea.)

ding-ding-ding...we have a winner!

Diesel said:
He must have known that if he turned it down chances are slim that he was going to get called again.

To be honest, I would have thought the guy would have been OK passing on the ANC class, and would have gotten called again when MEM classes started.

As long as he was polite and apologetic about it, I don't see why there was a big problem. For YEARS and YEARS, the ONLY place new hires at FedEX have gone has been MEM (and SFS, voluntary only). So when the guy started applying, which he likely did several years ago, he was 100% expecting to get based in MEM. Now, at the last second, we start sending new hires to ANC. Thats a real shock when you were 100% certain you were going to get MEM.

Maybe he lives in Little Rock and has three little kids in elementary school. Maybe his wife has some kind of home business there. Maybe the grandparents live there too and help take care of the kids. He might have just been in an impossible situation to move to ANC, and did not want to commute that kind of distance his probationary year.

FedEX has seemed to me to be a very understanding company of situations like that. You have any family or personal problem in training, they'll pull you right out and send you back when you're ready. No questions asked. They are really big on the importance of family around here.

As long as he wasn't a di c k on the phone to KD, "Nah, my wife doesn't want ANC. Hah Hah Hah! Call me when there's a MEM class.", then I don't see why there was a problem. Maybe he just came across wrong during that phone call.

I think they were a little hard on the beaver.

Last edited:
propjob27 said:
As long as he was polite and apologetic about it, I don't see why there was a big problem.

Maybe he lives in Little Rock and has three little kids in elementary school. Maybe his wife has some kind of home business there. Maybe the grandparents live there too and help take care of the kids. He might have just been in an impossible situation to move to ANC, and did not want to commute that kind of distance his probationary year.

Maybe he should have given more than a day's notice that he wasn't going to take the class....

mule said:
Maybe he should have given more than a day's notice that he wasn't going to take the class....

Ok, I completely missed that part of the story. I thought he declined the class on the initial "you're hired!" phone call, not called back the day before class saying "No thanks put me in a MEM class"

If he did that, well, then yeah, I wouldn't ask him back either.

My mistake.

The best thing about this thread is that no one really rejected FedEx ANC. If anyone had read the thread, they would notice this is what it said.

"I can't imagine ANYBODY doing this, but, could you imagine." And then he proceeds into his Mr. Jones, KD conversation.

And we wonder how rumors get started.

D'Angelo,
You obviously don't understand what reserves are. Think insurance policy. You pay a premium every year for homeowners, or auto, life, or health insurance. How often do you collect on that? The answer for most people in this country is NEVER! And yet we all pay out those premiums.

Reserves are a cost of doing business, and in theory should not be used except for currency issues. Just like you should never hopefully have to make a claim on your car or home insurance.

Rekks

optimater said:
The best thing about this thread is that no one really rejected FedEx ANC. If anyone had read the thread, they would notice this is what it said.

"I can't imagine ANYBODY doing this, but, could you imagine." And then he proceeds into his Mr. Jones, KD conversation.

Huh?

From a JL e-mail...

One pool person from Southwest declined
to come because he was headed for Anchorage.

It sounds to me like someone definately DID reject FedEX ANC.

Maybe he interviewd for the experience with no realy thought of taking the job. :)

optimater said:

And we wonder how rumors get started.

Maybe you missed the first post which was an excerpt from JL's e-mail (or FCIF).
"One pool person from Southwest declined
to come because he was headed for Anchorage."
No Rumor

I learned this a loooong time ago not to pass judgment on others when you don't know all the facts - or it's really none of your business. That being said who knows, or should care, why this individual passed on an ANC job offer. Sounds like a slow night on Flightinfo for the rumormill.......

Try not to let ego's get bruised over this - go out and have a beer, or two......AND talk to some college chicks over at the local bar!! They dig pilots.

Now back to my brew and to chase down that brunette I call my wife....

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back