• Watchers 32

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Haywood said:
It is great. I can work as little as I want and be at home with my family and get paid for it.

I have never heard a FedEx pilot say that he enjoys his job... you know, the part about actually flying airplanes. Someone from purple please tell me that you like to fly and aren't just trying to get a free lunch... please. I know there must be a few PILOTS working there. The guys who keep popping up on this board spouting off about not working and getting paid are doing you all a disservice.

I enjoy flying the 727. I love layovers that are 24 or 36 hours long (not every one but we get quite a few...). I love being able to fly to CPR, RNO, FSD, CID, DSM, BIL, GTF, SJC, SMF, and a host of cities large and small west of the Mississippi River...many that do not have service larger than a regional jet on the pax side.

I like working back side of the clock here and there...WHEN it is profitable. For instance, I pick up an AM O&B (think "high speed" or "stand up" in regional vernacular) on the back side of a late Monday flight into the hub AFTER a nice 24, 36, or 68 hour weekend layover. I'm still legal for a short trip, and like the SWA guys the extra little trip is a productive use of my time. I often still make the AM flight back to my hometown on Pinnacle. (Again--thanks PCL bros!) One extra 7-8 hour duty period puts another 6 hours pay in my pocket without having to spend another day away from family--so I LIKE the flexibility of our schedules.

I'm senior enough now to pick and choose around the hard-core hub turning flights. Some guys love them--I never have. However, I've always been able to make a decent line out of a very junior "trash" or "tour America" line by trip trading and working trades in open time. Once you are off reserve, it shouldn't take long till you can find a way to make a schedule work for you. If you want to sit back and get a cherry day line--well...you may get sorry. If you put a little work into it, you can create something quite livable.

I really like the crews I meet. We've got military from all branches, a host of former regional guys, some furloughed (or quit) at other majors, and even some corporate types. Everyone's got a story, and those long trips (1.5-3.0 hours) to the west give us a chance to chat and me to learn some other sides of the business. I've gotten great advice on general aviation service, insurance, home building, investing, travel, watersports, and hunting and fishing from other crew members these last 4 years. I've met some really interesting people..

I also appreciate the 45 seconds from shutdown to being out the door looking for the van. I got into this game thinking I'd be the Delta captain handing out wings to starry eyed kids who looked like I did 35 years ago. Instead--I'm likely on the cell phone in the van chatting with my own kids as I'm on the way to the hotel. It really isn't a bad gig at all...

And the money--its there if you want to work. What I REALLY like is the ability to drop trips and make the time verses pay work out when I need some time for family, ANG, or business obligations. In hindsight, I cannot imagine being ANY happier working anywhere else in this business.

Is that enough of a "I like my job" testimonial for you? If you really want to chat PM me and I'll give you my phone number. We've got a contract coming up--that is no fun--but outside of that I consider it an almost ideal flying job.

Nice testimonial Albie

AlbieF15 said:
I enjoy flying the 727.

Albie - you had me at "I enjoy flying."

And I already have your number... probably would be digging ditches right now if not for your interview prep. Thanks for actually liking your job.

Fly-diver said:
I have never heard a FedEx pilot say that he enjoys his job... you know, the part about actually flying airplanes. Someone from purple please tell me that you like to fly and aren't just trying to get a free lunch... please. I know there must be a few PILOTS working there. The guys who keep popping up on this board spouting off about not working and getting paid are doing you all a disservice.

Huh?

So the guys doing standby's aren't supporting the company? Believe me it's far from a free lunch. The company wouldn't schedule these crews if they didn't make economic sense.

The guys that drop trips don't get paid for them, unless they make them up later.

I bid the AM Indy hub turns with a little block time as possible. The flying is secondary to the days off and pay. Any leg with more than about 45 minutes of block just isn't worth it.

And what's wrong with a free lunch? Enjoy the bennies the job provides, but the job is still just a job.

Again, correct...I'll be retiring in two years with only about 3/4 of that amount....at age 49.

If you live an average life span (76 yrs.) you'll get 27,777/year. Are you sure you're retiring, or are you moving on to another job? I "retired" last year into my current job.

Whine Lover said:
- "you mean you would rather be unemployed that fly for the largest most profitable cargo airline in the world with the best vacation policy, retirement plan and work rules."

Simply put, YES.

- "i guess you don't want to fly widebodies all over the world or even domestically."

Correct. I have passed up that type of flying for the last 14 years.

- "i guess u don't want to retire a millionaire."

Again, correct...I'll be retiring in two years with only about 3/4 of that amount....at age 49.

-".. and FDX is about 60% dayflying now."

That's great. But even one night at the hub/sort is one too many in my book. Been there, done that.

- "..you aren't too bright huh?"

That's a matter of opinion. I prefer to retire early, with my health intact, and enjoy life.

Now, one more thing Captain Mark:

As an ex-Freight Dog I know of what I speak. I simply stated my opinion and my personal preference for the type of flying I care, or don't care, to do.

That's all.

Apparently you have some issues with this and felt a need to end your comments with a personal attack.

Ask yourself..."Why"?

Enjoy what you do, that's great, it's not for ME however.

I would rather be unemployed/retired and spend my days (and nights) as I see fit.

To each his own.

P.S.- If this is Mark Burkhardt (sp?) Urquie would not be proud of you!

I was with you until the whole retire at 49 with $750,000. That's a chunk, but good luck stretching it 40+ years!

Truckdriver said:
If you are sitting at home and getting paid for it, it won´t be long until your managment guys come after pay and work rule cuts. I think I remember the DAL and UAL guys bragging about the same stuff a few years ago. Now they work lots and get paid very little. With the cargo competition coming into play, don´t think that things at FDX will be the same in a few years.

Quite frankly its about time management woke up. Why in the hell would you pay someone to literally sit on their A$$ all that time. If they want to do that thats fine but dont pay them full salary for it. Time for people to start working.

D'Angelo said:
Quite frankly its about time management woke up. Why in the hell would you pay someone to literally sit on their A$$ all that time. If they want to do that thats fine but dont pay them full salary for it. Time for people to start working.

Well, let's think about this. You are management and here are your choices:

1. Pay a crew to sit in the hub, or at home/crashpad on reserve and pay them about $600 each even if they don't go flying.

2. Save $1800 and then have a crew go sick and not be able to deliver a planeload full of packages with an estimated revenue of hundreds of thousands of dollars; and then have your business model crumble because you lost market share since you couldn't deliver on your promise.

Your call D? Whatya gonna do?

It's about reliability!

Latest resources

Back