• Watchers 32

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Huck said:
If you don't like reserves sittin', you DEFINITELY won't like the ~30 or so standby pilots who come in every night into the hub, sleep 5 hours in a company sleep room, then go home. Dozing for dollars.Of course, if they call, you're supposed to be BLOCKED OUT in 45 minutes (a tall order when your MD11 is parked 2 miles away).By the way, firemen get paid to sit around alot too.....

The FedEx ring tone in the sleep rooms automatically gets my heart rate up to around 180, even is I hear it in the AOC in the middle of the day.

By the way D angelo, I worked just shy of Reserve guarantee last month as a DC-10 SO, so stop crying. Must have been grandparents awareness month or something.

And yes paying people to sit around is stupid, unless you need the reliablity that said stupidity gives you. FDX is a shipping company known for its reliablity and not an airline who flies people.

Or you can spend the bucks to fly three crews from MEM to ANC on the company Lear Jet since ANC pilots are not taking draft trips.

Hard to sell a draft trip anyway during the summer up here anyway. ANC pilots are sick a lot during the summer for some reason. I guess June and Jule is cold and flu season up here.

Also had the bottom two reserve line holders were inverse converted from R days to trips, and many people are having R days moved around to cover trips. So your more trips for the reserves theory is shot since they can not even cover ANC trips with ANC pilots. They are shipping them up from MEM to cover.

Must have been grandparents awareness month or something.
HA! I spent a year at the bottom of that list - 12 months on A reserve. Funny how every time I got short-called it was to some place raining or snowing.... Can't wait until they're all in the left seat until 65, blowing through their sick leave before they leave.

The original post was about the pilot who decided that FDX wasn't for HIM. Him and hopefully his family looked at the PRO's and CON's of what he needed to do for THEM and HIMSELF.

He didn't bash FDX he just said thanks but no thanks. Whatever the reason was it was HIS reason.

Who really cares night or day, peanuts or catering, domestic or international. Its all time away from family and a personal choice.

D'Angelo said:
Its simply bad buisness paying someone to do nothing.

Duh Cameltoe, you really are a doorknob, aren't you? I bet you carry knee pads in your flight case and a little jar of vaseline, with some sand mixed in it.

A good way to do this is reduce the lines a little bit and assign some flying to reserves. That way you pay your lineholders a bit less and you have to pay your reserves guarantee anyway.

Uhhh, then who is covering the reserve pilots who are flying pairings, when they get sick or are illegal? Downline drafts at 150% pay, creating 30/7 problems later in the week, requiring . . . . you guessed it, more down-line drafting, more premium pay, or more use of reserves.

There is absolutely no reason why you cant find a way to give enough flying to reserves to build them right upto but not one minute past the monthly minimum.

You seem to think you know all the answers, but you really don't have a clue. My company used to operate like you are suggesting, before the union forced them to up the percentage of reserve pilots. Know what? Our pilot costs per ASM went DOWN when they had to add more reserve pilots, because they weren't paying premium pay for everything that they couldn't cover without drafting. Before the change, much of what guys were making was in the form of premium pay, probably because some chowderhead like you was tripping over quarters to pick up nickles.

Let me guess . . . you'd solve that problem by eliminating premium pay, too. Bet you fly broke airplanes and love to volunteer to do stuff that everyone else refuses . . . one like you in every flight dept.

Last edited:
Purpled said:
Well, let's think about this. You are management and here are your choices:

1. Pay a crew to sit in the hub, or at home/crashpad on reserve and pay them about $600 each even if they don't go flying.

2. Save $1800 and then have a crew go sick and not be able to deliver a planeload full of packages with an estimated revenue of hundreds of thousands of dollars; and then have your business model crumble because you lost market share since you couldn't deliver on your promise.

Your call D? Whatya gonna do?

It's about reliability!

Duh Angelo is incapable of thinking more than one step ahead of the game. You'd think this would be obvious to him, but he's proven himself yet once again with his narrow-mindedness. :rolleyes:

Think about how much money in overnight packages are on these planes? What's the smallest aircraft there, the 727? That's still alot of rubber dog ******************** to be delivered....and if it doesn't get there ontime, eventually your customers will move onto your competition.

Last edited:
Diesel said:
The original post was about the pilot who decided that FDX wasn't for HIM. Him and hopefully his family looked at the PRO's and CON's of what he needed to do for THEM and HIMSELF.

He didn't bash FDX he just said thanks but no thanks. Whatever the reason was it was HIS reason.

Who really cares night or day, peanuts or catering, domestic or international. Its all time away from family and a personal choice.

I think maybe you missed the intent of the original post. The guy didn't pass on FDX for SWA; he passed on FDX in ANC with the misguided belief he will be called later for an opening in MEM. He still wants FedEx, just under his own conditions.

Maybe this will help clear it up.

Example:
Lottery official: Congratulations Mr. Jones, you have just won the lottery, can you come down to the state office to pick up your money...

Mr Jones: Can you deliver it to me?

Lottery official: Sorry Mr. Jones, we need you at the state office for a press conference and to fill out some paperwork.

Mr. Jones: That's OK. I think I'll just pass on it for now. Maybe later the rules will change and I will win again.

Well I am glad he passed it up because I was the lucky SOB to get the last minute call to replace him in class. Who ever he is I owe him beer for life THANKS!!!!

"If you live an average life span (76 yrs.) you'll get 27,777/year. Are you sure you're retiring, or are you moving on to another job?"

Well that would be a straight draw every year and that is NO way to structure a retirement. (!)

Now, $750,000 properly invested and assuming a conservative 6% return annually gives one about $45,000/yr to live on without even touching the principal.

If a person has no mortgage, car payments, or debts and is single one can do quite well.

A nice cottage near a lake, a pickup and a good duck boat are really all a man needs in life...( certainly, this is an oversimplification but you get the idea.)

And if a fella' can't eat well, take a few vacations, and buy a few beers on $45,000/yr, well he's got some serious money management problems to begin with and will probably be flying until he's 75 for some non-sched in Africa anyway.

Ouch.

Last edited:
The email said that he declined because he was headed to anc. It says nothing about him still wanting FDX. He must have known that if he turned it down chances are slim that he was going to get called again.

Whatever it was it was his choice.

PS whats up with the screwed up with the screwed up screen name of cgri591982t44a . I'm sure there is some story behind it.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back