• Watchers 32

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
One extra 7-8 hour duty period puts another 6 hours pay in my pocket
Brotha man, you didn't just say that, did you??????????

Fly-diver said:
I have never heard a FedEx pilot say that he enjoys his job... you know, the part about actually flying airplanes. Someone from purple please tell me that you like to fly and aren't just trying to get a free lunch... please.

Did any of you guys take any financial classes in college? The best investment out there is the one you put the least amount into, and get the most out of.

My job is an investment in myself and my future, so I look at it just like Finance 101.

You guys probably haven't heard the cliche "Work smarter, not harder" either from the sounds of things.

Last edited:
CaptainMark said:
you mean you would rather be unemployed that fly for the largest most profitable cargo airline in the world with the best vacation policy, retirement plan and work rules. i guess you don't want to fly widebodies all over the world or even domestically....i guess u don't want to retire a millionaire...and FDX is about 60% dayflying now...you aren't too bright huh?

Dude! Your company would love to have you negotiating for your fellow pilots when your contract comes up. I agree that y'all have it pretty good, but you can't let the head honcho's in MEM know that. Jeez.

D'Angelo said:
Quite frankly its about time management woke up. Why in the hell would you pay someone to literally sit on their A$$ all that time. If they want to do that thats fine but dont pay them full salary for it. Time for people to start working.

Duh Angelo, I thought you had quit your regional job and went to work for Wal-Marts' corporate flight department....since you really don't care about pay, or benefits, or how much you do or don't fly....I mean, it's really all about shareholder value isn't it?

Never fails to amaze me...

Haywood said:
I flew with an engineer who flew all of three times in the last two months, and he's a new hire. He told me he sometimes forgets he actually has a job. Life's what you make of it, ground floor and all.

As far as I'm concerned, anyone who brags about how little they work should go get their unemployment vaccine renewed. ws p.s. I'll lay even money they are the same ones who complain most about work rules.

Coool Hand Luke said:
Duh Angelo, I thought you had quit your regional job and went to work for Wal-Marts' corporate flight department....since you really don't care about pay, or benefits, or how much you do or don't fly....I mean, it's really all about shareholder value isn't it?

All im saying is its quite frankly insanity to pay people to sit on their arse all the time. You don't want senior people bidding reserve. Not only are they not doing anything but you have to pay them even more money. The goal is to find a way to make people work as much as possible on reserve. Reduce the staffing level. If you have guys sitting around never flying then obviously your overstaffed. Reserves should be flown right up to the monthly limit but not an hour more. You pay them a monthly guarantee why not make them work for it? You always need someone on call for sick calls so some days reserves may not work. Having them work once in two months is simply absurd. Airlines wonder why they are always in trouble!!! It starts with these ridiculous work rules. Good thing they are starting to make people actually work again.

I like my job. And night hub-turning really isn't THAT bad. It sounds sh*tty, but you can actually enjoy the layovers and not be draggin' a** if you plan your sleep right. I usually get 6-8 hrs of sleep a day (from 7 am - 2 or 3pm), eat right, get a good workout in (never rushed), and then go to work. If you're one of those guys that just can't sleep during the day, then I guess it wouldn't work for you. However, it can be tough to get back on a normal schedule once you're done with a week of it. If night hub turns don't work for you, you can fairly quickly bid day Reserve or when you're senior enough bid day flying.

Less than year right now to widebody F/O. LOTS of day flying on the Bus, and it'll eventually be day on your international MD-11 hops. There are some valid reasons for turning down FDX, but night hub-turns SHOULD NOT be one of them. You will do them in the beginning, but not often enough to outweigh all the advantages to FDX. And, again, they look horrible on paper but they ARE manageable.

D'Angelo said:
Reserves should be flown right up to the monthly limit but not an hour more.

I think we spoke on the phone before. Did you used to work for Great Lakes? In the planning department? If your airline career doesn't pan out, you'll always have a job waiting for you as a scheduler.

D'Angelo said:
Airlines wonder why they are always in trouble!!! It starts with these ridiculous work rules. Good thing they are starting to make people actually work again.

Airlines are in trouble. FedEX definately is NOT. Just let them keep on doing what they've been doing. It's worked fine for a LONG time. If we start to post some quarterly losses, well, then maybe think about changing some things. But until then, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

If you don't like reserves sittin', you DEFINITELY won't like the ~30 or so standby pilots who come in every night into the hub, sleep 5 hours in a company sleep room, then go home. Dozing for dollars.Of course, if they call, you're supposed to be BLOCKED OUT in 45 minutes (a tall order when your MD11 is parked 2 miles away).By the way, firemen get paid to sit around alot too.....

propjob27 said:
I think we spoke on the phone before. Did you used to work for Great Lakes? In the planning department? If your airline career doesn't pan out, you'll always have a job waiting for you as a scheduler.

Airlines are in trouble. FedEX definately is NOT. Just let them keep on doing what they've been doing. It's worked fine for a LONG time. If we start to post some quarterly losses, well, then maybe think about changing some things. But until then, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Never worked for great lakes or been in crew scheduling. Those work rules are a big part of the reason why airlines are in trouble. Its simply bad buisness paying someone to do nothing. A good way to do this is reduce the lines a little bit and assign some flying to reserves. That way you pay your lineholders a bit less and you have to pay your reserves guarantee anyway. There is absolutely no reason why you cant find a way to give enough flying to reserves to build them right upto but not one minute past the monthly minimum. Sure if you get a sick call you may have to take some people over the minimum. For the most part however this is the best way to do things. Sorry the days of paying people to sit on their A$$ are over.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back