• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA or DAL

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I can be a Captain on an MD88, but I am waiting for 738 as a line holder, which isn't too far off....I'l be doing San Juan this week (turns), and a St Thomas too. I can't wait for ANC summer trips. The fishing is great. I'll ship you some.

Bye Bye--General Lee

You could be Captain and choose not to be??? (Kinda funny you're going to upgrade in the airplane you love to make fun of. Oh yes, an '800 is just like a '700 sport)

In that case I would take up a collection for the fish. 'Cause folks who have been at SWA as long as you have been at Delta have been Captains for quite awhile making twice your salary. They'll be happy to oblige

But don't fret. When you upgrade they'll only be making 30% more than you.

(And SWA's CASM is still lower)

Last edited:
Time zone changes? Well, if you stay up all night long in Munich after not taking a nap, then you probably would be tired. (until you take your 3 hour nap in a crew rest seat across the pond). I think you would be much more tired with 5-6 legs and AM trips at Southwest. You have no time to rest, and knowing you have 4 more legs to go after you do an early AM from ELP to PHX (with LAX, SJC, SEA, and GEG to go) just doesn't sound fun, at all. But don't worry, you can go to the local pub in GEG where they have the 1 2 3 rule and drink your sorrows away, and go to bed a 6pm so you can do the same thing tomorrow---GEG--BOI--SLC--STL--CLE--DTW. Sweet!

Instead, you can go to Venice, Italy from ATL or JFK, stay at a very nice hotel and take a short ride to the canals and have a real Italian dinner, get some sleep, and then fly home, flying a 3 day worth 22 hours, and having a total of 3 pilots. If you lack landings for the month, you can pick up 757 trips that are shorter (like St Martaen, Aruba (24 hour layover on the beach), always fun Bogota, Quito or Guayaquil (Ecuador), or the ever popular San Jose, Costa Rica. Options. You can stay in the same time zone and fly Latin America, or you can go way South to South America, or you can go to Africa and spot a zebra and eat a roasted Rhino, or you can go to Europe and drink beer. Or, you can even bid domestic and fly one of 5 or 6 other types of planes and do the Southwest style flying. Options. That is the difference. Here we can fly a 738 (we have 737-700s on order, with winglets too) forever, and in the last year we can bid 777 and see Dubai. Options are great. We had a newhire just get the 767ER INTL out of JFK too. It is not out of reach.

Bye Bye--General Lee

That all sounds great with a few exceptions. first every delta retired pilot that a ever flew while at a fractional all said international flying sucks. second i am sure you like your morning coffe in venice with your 90 year old fa's and thta slam clicker of a captain but as for me i will fly in the us and with the money that i make i will go with my wife. what is that you make good money too oh but wait i would have to be a heavy captain to make good money i wonder how long that will take. gimme a brake. I know why you are waiting for the 737 its so that if you go bk again and ask for conscesions again you can come over here. but don't worry we will never hire so go to the mad dog.

So all that talk about HEAVY flying and you don't even fly one?

If you think SWA will fly 737 forever you couldn't be more wrong. You keep talking about 8 legs and overnights that few crews stay at. Maybe your argument would make sense if you had it in 1982. But General the war is over (and you lost), this is 2007.

I start reading your posts and the first few sentences make some sense. Some people want different things, different types of flying etc... then you jump way overboard with a bunch of lies about the current state of affairs at Southwest Airlines.

You could be Captain and choose not to be??? (Kinda funny you're going to upgrade in the airplane you love to make fun of. Oh yes, an '800 is just like a '700 sport)

In that case I would take up a collection for the fish. 'Cause folks who have been at SWA as long as you have been at Delta have been Captains for quite awhile making twice your salary. They'll be happy to oblige

But don't fret. When you upgrade they'll only be making 30% more than you.

(And SWA's CASM is still lower)

Well, I have flown the 737-200, the 737-300G (glass they called it), and the 737-800 before. I also plan to be a captain on the 757/767 when I can hold it, and then maybe the 764. Then, after those, I will probably bid the 787 and then the 777. How about you guys? I have no wish to fly the MD88, and that is an option I have at Delta. (choices are good).

I am so glad you think you know our salaries. Maybe you haven't been reading any DL posts, but we are getting a minimum of 11% raise over the next two years (thanks to our 401Ks being filled to the max, and DL still having to pay us the 9% DC contribution, and the 2% 401K match---now in cash), added to a 12 year Captain salary that is bound to go up over our current contract. (Really, you and I know it has to go up) And who is making TWICE my salary? Really? So, when I do go to 738 Captain your guys will be paid over $300 an hour? Twice the pay, huh? Riiiight.

The key here is that I actually have a choice on what I fly, and what I bid. You do not. You could stay FO forever I guess, or you can be a captain on a plane you will fly forever. Great. I can go for domestic, or for INTL flying. I can fly big, or fly small. The smallest plane I want to captain (now) is bigger than the biggest plane you have, and I will go even bigger, eventually making at least what your captains make, and maybe more. Are you sure SWA's CASM is lower than our mainline's CASM? (you love to add our RJs into the equation...) Doubt it. Enjoy ELP!

Bye Bye--General Lee

So all that talk about HEAVY flying and you don't even fly one?

If you think SWA will fly 737 forever you couldn't be more wrong. You keep talking about 8 legs and overnights that few crews stay at. Maybe your argument would make sense if you had it in 1982. But General the war is over (and you lost), this is 2007.

I start reading your posts and the first few sentences make some sense. Some people want different things, different types of flying etc... then you jump way overboard with a bunch of lies about the current state of affairs at Southwest Airlines.

Okay, HUH? I fly the 757 (to ST Thomas) and the 767-300 to San Juan and ANC in the Summer. The 767-300 is a heavy, but you knew that. And guess what? I have a few good friends at SWA that tell me about their schedules. You couldn't be more wrong. One confessed to me that he didn't know if he could handle that many legs each trip for another 25 years. (no lie) But, maybe guys like you enjoy that flying. Good for you. It is not for everyone, and not everyone wants to do it. To say that you don't do many legs is wrong. I know that you have added some long transcons into the mix (PHL-LAX, BWI--OAK, PVD--PHX, BWI-SAN etc). That is great. But the deal is that instead of stopping in LAX after flying from PHL, they usually tag on another leg or two. No thanks. Great productivity equals exhaustion for most. You may be the exception to the rule. Good for you. You can't hide the truth. Enjoy it.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Dude, Your Company is in bankruptcy. U R smok'in crack.

So now all of the sudden you "trust" your management cus they are telling you something you want to hear? Did they teach you this in the Navy?

Are you sure SWA's CASM is lower than our mainline's CASM? (you love to add our RJs into the equation...) Doubt it. Enjoy ELP!

You seem real proud about your paycut. We kick everyones a$$, without a paycut. If RJs made money then why would Delta sell ASA? If RJs made money - we would fly them at Southwest. Cattle Baron rules in ELP!!!

Time zone changes? Well, if you stay up all night long in Munich after not taking a nap, then you probably would be tired. (until you take your 3 hour nap in a crew rest seat across the pond). I think you would be much more tired with 5-6 legs and AM trips at Southwest. You have no time to rest, and knowing you have 4 more legs to go after you do an early AM from ELP to PHX (with LAX, SJC, SEA, and GEG to go) just doesn't sound fun, at all. But don't worry, you can go to the local pub in GEG where they have the 1 2 3 rule and drink your sorrows away, and go to bed a 6pm so you can do the same thing tomorrow---GEG--BOI--SLC--STL--CLE--DTW. Sweet!

Instead, you can go to Venice, Italy from ATL or JFK, stay at a very nice hotel and take a short ride to the canals and have a real Italian dinner, get some sleep, and then fly home, flying a 3 day worth 22 hours, and having a total of 3 pilots. If you lack landings for the month, you can pick up 757 trips that are shorter (like St Martaen, Aruba (24 hour layover on the beach), always fun Bogota, Quito or Guayaquil (Ecuador), or the ever popular San Jose, Costa Rica. Options. You can stay in the same time zone and fly Latin America, or you can go way South to South America, or you can go to Africa and spot a zebra and eat a roasted Rhino, or you can go to Europe and drink beer. Or, you can even bid domestic and fly one of 5 or 6 other types of planes and do the Southwest style flying. Options. That is the difference. Here we can fly a 738 (we have 737-700s on order, with winglets too) forever, and in the last year we can bid 777 and see Dubai. Options are great. We had a newhire just get the 767ER INTL out of JFK too. It is not out of reach.

Bye Bye--General Lee

You make intl' flying sound so glamorous & exciting. Try not to sugar coat it quite so much though.;)

For not giving a rat's a$$ about SWA, you sure are hung up on the routes, skeds, turn times & layovers that are done in Herb's 73's. What's up with that?

Great productivity equals

continued employment, no paycuts, no benefit cuts, no work rule changes

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back