• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA or DAL

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You made the right choice, Delta is the place to go in an uncertain market.

You must be incredibly bored at SWA. If you aren't now, you will be in 10 years. Eventually 4-6 legs a day with 25 minute turns will get very tiresome and probably boring. You will see a heck of a lot of the same cities, and the layovers will get shorter and shorter for your tired body as you grow older. Dreaming of 24 hour layovers at some tropical paradise will wake you up in a cold sweat at your Spokane layover. But hey, at least you are paid well.... And let me guess? You have 20 days off a month and you can't wait to buy a ticket on Delta to some paradise? Good luck with that. You can jumpseat on us you know.....We'll tell you where to stay.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Sounds about right, General... I'm thinking of quiting and starting over at DAL, so I can fly international and sit on my A$$ even longer. So I can fly through more time zones to feel like $hit only to sleep my whole layover to "recover" only to try to fly back to ATL, which is not an easy task. Then I would have to commute, cus Momma don't want to live in ATL.

On a good day I am just human.

me too, go figure.

If the open skies agreement passes SWA/FO you are probably going to be an international pilot since SW will have to fly to europe to be competitive. Also Gary Kelly warned investors today that SW earnings are sliding into the red if something does change soon.

Sounds about right, General... I'm thinking of quiting and starting over at DAL, so I can fly international and sit on my A$$ even longer. So I can fly through more time zones to feel like $hit only to sleep my whole layover to "recover" only to try to fly back to ATL, which is not an easy task. Then I would have to commute, cus Momma don't want to live in ATL.

me too, go figure.

Hey, at least I can get up in the cockpit out of the seat, do some jumping jacks if I need to, and also go back and sit in the crew rest seat and eat a good meal watching a movie. I probably would sit less in the seat that you would. You, on the otherhand, will be looking for food during your 25 min turns. As far as recovering after you return, a lot of that depends on the length of the trip. If you go on a 6 day trip, you probably will have more time off when you return, since it is worth more. You may also get some good rest on your trips---like the 36 hour layover in Rio or Buenos Aires. But. you might have to rest your eyes in Nice though during the Summer swimming season, or you may be tired from that round of golf you played in Dublin....

Bye Bye--General Lee

I have had an interesting development.
I have been hired by DAL and am waiting for a class. I just received an e-mail inviting me to a SWA interview in April. What are your thoughts on this. We would love to get back to TX, but is SWA a good move for someone who has a job at DAL and is one of the first 30 or so hired.

Anyone?

Dude, big congrats to you both accounts!

SWA looks like more fun: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNIxKdqBRYQ

At DAL you get a double breasted blazer........ tough choice wish I had to

make it for my self......

My vote is for SWA based on the job security, SWA owns 99% of the A/C they fly.... times got too rough they could sell them and lease like everyone else.... not too many companies pay cash for their rides.

Good luck!

Last edited:
36 hour layover

= time away from your Family. For some this could be a good thing. I like to raise my kids, watch them grow and be there. You're braging about extented time away from your Family?

With your current payrates, you can make more money at Southwest Airlines and you don't even have to leave the lower 48. Why put your body through all that for LESS money. R U S T U P I D? You can get an overnight in your home city and get paid to be at home, raising the kids, catching the game and seeing the old lady.

Last edited:
= time away from your Family. For some this could be a good thing. I like to raise my kids, watch them grow and be there. You're braging about extented time away from your Family?

They don't let guys like General raise kids......
( just kidding General)

The generals kids are prob. all off to Harvard or yale already!

I take the nice topless layover in Nice and save the pictures for my son when he turns 18! :)

I still think SWA would be a better fit for me but that's why we have choices right?

I worked the ramp for DAL many years ago for DAL in IAD and never recovered from dumping lav's........................ beside's the Mrs works there as a "skygoddess" and then I'd have to share a crash pad with her!

SWA/FO,

One can always choose domestic flying, have 9-14 hour overnights and minimize TAFB and jetlag.
The real kick comes from ability to choose what you want to fly and avoid burn out.
Once your kids are off to Harvard you too might enjoy taking your wife on a 76 hours layover in Rome.

With your current payrates, you can make more money at Southwest Airlines and you don't even have to leave the lower 48. Why put your body through all that for LESS money. R U S T U P I D? You can get an overnight in your home city and get paid to be at home, raising the kids, catching the game and seeing the old lady.

Huh? You are going to be away anyway (don't you guys have 4 day trips?). We also have high time 3 day trips to Europe from ATL and JFK. So, if you are going to be away from home for 3 days (go to Copenhagen, Barcelona, Munich, Istanbul, Athens, Nice, Rome, Venice, Zurich, Honolulu, Maui, Tokyo, Lima, or Dublin) 4 days (Rio, Buenos Aires, Santiago, Sao Paulo), 6 days (Johannesburg, double Londons(thru CVG), double Moscow's (thru ATL), double Frankfurts (thru CVG), double Amersterdams (thru CVG), Mumbai (48 hour layover via NYC), then take your pick. Or, you can do one day turns (turns to San Juan, St Thomas, Antigua, PHX from ATL, and you can be home EVERY NIGHT. Can you do that at SWA? If you want options, we have them. At SWA, you have the option to go to Lubbock, but it is more than likely that you will go there anyway.

Bye Bye--General Lee

You must be incredibly bored at SWA. If you aren't now, you will be in 10 years. Eventually 4-6 legs a day with 25 minute turns will get very tiresome and probably boring. You will see a heck of a lot of the same cities, and the layovers will get shorter and shorter for your tired body as you grow older. Dreaming of 24 hour layovers at some tropical paradise will wake you up in a cold sweat at your Spokane layover. But hey, at least you are paid well.... And let me guess? You have 20 days off a month and you can't wait to buy a ticket on Delta to some paradise? Good luck with that. You can jumpseat on us you know.....We'll tell you where to stay.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Dude,
you can have the time zone changes I'll stick with ABQ overnights and a company that cares about me. (can you say the same) I guess you really do have big pen_$$ syndrome. good luck! come talk to me in a couple of years when delta comes after you for some more consecions.

Latest resources

Back