• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA or DAL?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Your last response is why I posted in the first place, your hatred for SWA shows every time you type. This was an honest question someone posed to the pilots of both airlines, now you are rambling about corporate pilots and how that sucks, how SWA sucks, so go back to Moline and Albany turns and let the big boys discuss and answer this persons question.

Your last response is why I posted in the first place, your hatred for SWA shows every time you type. This was an honest question someone posed to the pilots of both airlines, now you are rambling about corporate pilots and how that sucks, how SWA sucks, so go back to Moline and Albany turns and let the big boys discuss and answer this persons question.

"What does everyone think if they had a chance to work at either one?"

Re-read the initial post, the second paragraph. He was looking for advice from ANYONE who may or may NOT work there. You are WRONG! Re-read it.

And, my opinions on Southwest are just the reasons why I choose not to apply there, and they are valid for many pilots. He was asking for advice from ANYONE on whether or not he should spend thousands of dollars on a type rating (another bad idea, IMO). And, I tend to fly to bigger cities than Albany and Moline in my Texas based E145. But thanks to your merger, you will see both of those two cities you mentioned. You lucky dog!

Last edited:
"What does everyone think if they had a chance to work at either one?"

Re-read the initial post, the second paragraph. He was looking for advice from ANYONE who may or may NOT work there. You are WRONG! Re-read it.

And, my opinions on Southwest are just the reasons why I choose not to apply there, and they are valid for many pilots. He was asking for advice from ANYONE on whether or not he should spend thousands of dollars on a type rating (another bad idea, IMO). And, I tend to fly to bigger cities than Albany and Moline in my Texas based E145. But thanks to your merger, you will see both of those two cities you mentioned. You lucky dog!

I will tell you what J man. I will make money and see the world with my family, on my time. Plus alot of the guys at SWA have seen the world. Oh and when I do go see the world you can be my bee-atch and take me there. So how is eagle or expressjet working out for you?

Like someone else said, just take a look around this forum. You can get enough information from this board, just by reading some of the dribble that is posted here. Ask yourself, would I want to sit for 3 or 4 days next to some of these guys? Not me, I never applied to Delta, seemed like way too uptight a pilot group for me. I would think that if you even have to ask between SWA or Delta, you belong at Delta. It's like deciding between the Playboy Mansion and The 700 Club Compound, where would you rather spend the weekend? Yeah, it's THAT different.

Like someone else said, just take a look around this forum. You can get enough information from this board, just by reading some of the dribble that is posted here. Ask yourself, would I want to sit for 3 or 4 days next to some of these guys? Not me, I never applied to Delta, seemed like way too uptight a pilot group for me. I would think that if you even have to ask between SWA or Delta, you belong at Delta. It's like deciding between the Playboy Mansion and The 700 Club Compound, where would you rather spend the weekend? Yeah, it's THAT different.

Yes, and every SWA thread on here has the same DAL stalkers. Why all the interest? This Jrod guy has ramped up the creepy factor by 10.

To each his own. If given the choice, I'd pick Delta so that I could always have the shorthaul OR longhaul option. Things and preferences change. You might want shorthaul now but that could change after a few years. I'd start off flying the Airbus shorthaul for a few years and then maybe bid the A330 or 767ER when able. But I could always go back to shorthaul flying if desired. You want the OPTION vs. just one type of flying.

Personally, I couldn't see myself flying the same aircraft 3-5 sectors per day, 30-minute turns, for the rest of my career. That sounds like a real JOB to me. I am not that motivated - but that's just me.

No doubt SWA is fantastic from a money standpoint right now, but I am sure Delta's will get better with negotiations in the future. If Delta's money were equal to or greater than SWA's money after the next round of negotiations, then there would be no comparison in my book. Also, if I am going to be an FO for the next 15-20 years, I'd like some aircraft variety during that time period. Regardless, consider yourself lucky if you get hired by either.

Good luck if you actually have the choice.

Yes, and every SWA thread on here has the same DAL stalkers. Why all the interest? This Jrod guy has ramped up the creepy factor by 10.

I think you nailed it..........

Stalkers often suffer from low self-esteem, and feel they must have a relationship with the victim in order to have any self worth.
Preoccupations with other people almost always involve someone with weak social skills and low self-esteem.
The above traits remind us that much of stalking involves harassment and annoyance, but never forget that stalkers can also be extraordinarily dangerous. Believing that their victims love and care for them, stalkers can become violent when frustrated in their quest for this love.

Although the majority of cases do not end in murder or grave bodily injury, enough do every year that victims should never brush aside the possibility. Victims of stalking should never take the crime lightly, no matter who the stalkers are or how close they have been emotionally.

Look carefully again at the traits below and be wary if someone seems to fit these.
Won't take no for an answer
Has an obsessive personality
No or few personal relationships
Lack of embarrassment or discomfort at actions
Low self esteem
Sociopathic thinking
Has a mean streak

I have friends at both. The Delta guys are all either Captains or longhaul FOs. The SWA guys I know are senior FOs. Based on what they tell me, I'd choose Delta. More options in terms of flying and aircraft. But, as we all know, this is just a job at the end of the day. The paycheck and QOL are the two biggest factors to concern yourself with.

If you can get a good QOL with the highest amount of pay at either choice, consider yourself in a great situation.

The thing that sucks is that there is no mainline replacement for the -30's and 40's that have already been parked. It's no secret, however ugly, that the E170's and 175s and jumbo CRJs are their replacements.

Is there any chance at all that mainline can capture the "jumbo RJ" flying? JMHO but that would not only benefit DAL pilots but would be a step in the right direction for the entire profession.

I will tell you what J man. I will make money and see the world with my family, on my time. Plus alot of the guys at SWA have seen the world. Oh and when I do go see the world you can be my bee-atch and take me there. So how is eagle or expressjet working out for you?

Yeah, "plus a lot of the guys at SWA have seen the World." So, they now want to mainly see West Texas? If they saw it in the Military, they might not have seen it how Airline guys see it. And, plenty of DL guys saw it too in the Military, and that is why they go back now, as much as they can. (do you understand my hint?) And do you think DL guys flying 744s, A330s, or 767s flying to Asia or Europe are your bee-atch? What does that make you when I want to fly to Little Rock or El Paso? Wait, I never want to go there.....

BTW, it's great you make fun of Rod's enthusiasm. What's wrong with him being an Eagle or Expressjet Capt? Is that bad? Were you a Regional Captain? Those two airlines seem like pretty good ones. I am sure you were never like that in his position. You yourself are wildly excited about SWA, and that is apparent. So what if he has opinions on your SLI, so do we all. That's what they are, opinions.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Latest resources

Back