SWA or DAL?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

skywiz

Now that there are rumors that both SWA and DAL may very well start hiring again in the near future (2011-2012), many (I hope to be one of them) may find themselves in the fortunate position of having to decide between these 2 great companies to work for. I have heard that both have potentially very bright futures.

What does everyone think if they had the chance to work for either one?

Here are some pros/cons that I have thought of:

SWA
pros: pay, great culture/company, expected growth (AT purchase)
cons: all B737 flying, same domestic routes for entire career (mabye some close Int'l)

DAL
pros: wide variety of Equipment and Routes, expected hiring (retirements)
cons: lower pay than SWA for many of the smaller aircraft (M88, DC9,etc)
I have heard that DAL may be getting a contractual pay raise in the future?

Anyone have any other factors to consider? I know base is a factor. But both have bases throughout the US. I always hear how SWA guys love their job, what about the DAL guys?

Thanks and good luck to all.
SW

Really? Just read some of the threads here and your questions will be answered.

Let me grab some popcorn.
This will go at least 5 pages. I'm not gonna even touch the pft thing at southwest.........:D

Seriously though, just go with whoever hires you, that's the ticket.

I am currently a Regional Captain and have looked into the same topics. First off, what if SWA and Delta had the same pay? (I assume they will eventually-- Delta 737 pilots getting SWA 737 pay and higher for larger planes) What would be the difference then? Looking at the route map, I see major variety on the Delta side. And that famous culture at Southwest is being tested now with the Airtran merger. Add to that the lack of scheduled retirements at Southwest compared to Delta, and the relatively young age of the incoming Airtran pilots, I just don't see a lot of future mmovement unless there is huge growth.(?)

So, if the pay was the same, look at variety, lack of toxicity (merger), and movement (via retirements). I also look forward to less work for better pay. I fly plenty of 5/6 leg days now all around Texas and nearby States, and I want to see the World. You have to ask yourself what do you want? Good luck!

Last edited:
Get hired by both...Then make your choice. Better yet, get a class date with both... then make the choice.

Cheers!

You either have fuselage envy............ or you don't. Flying the 737 for "the rest of my career" doesn't bother me. I actually really enjoy being 3 time zones max from home if my family needs me.

Either would be a good choice..... today. I'd look at future retirements as a major player. WN will retire about 140-150/yr. indefinitely. I think DAL has many more.

Gup

Latest resources

Back