SWA or Alaska?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
At least LUV kept up with inflation.

ALK 12 year Captain rate today is the equivalent of ALK 12 year Captain pay in 1993.

Also, as I recall, the LUV pilots defferred pay raises in 1995 in lieu of stock options.

And of course no Captain at Alaska has, after twelvth year, recieved a pay raise.

Agreed,

And let's not forget that for the equipment that LUV flies, they are still the highest paid and probably would be regardless of paycuts at the Legacies. LUV does not have heavies so you have to consider that as well. Heavy speculation on my part of course.:nuts:

What are you talking about? SWA was never at the top of the pack until 9/11. It was always okay but never anything to write home about. Of course you have to consider the heavies - it's about potential career earnings. Would you fly at a company just because they have the highest paid Cessna 172 drivers around?

Another thing to consider is retirement - Alaska still has a well funded A-fund. The company is trying to get rid of it but with other carriers while in bankruptcy getting 12%+ DC in return I would expect that if it didn't stay in place all together it would be a very high DC. I personally would rather have a 18-20% DC then the current A fund.

If I lived in an AS domicile I would choose AS hands down over SWA and never look back, if it meant a commute for either I would probably choose SWA but it wouldn't be as easy a decision as others make it seem to be.

Don't get too hung up on the pay difference - I think that AS is at the bottom going to move up where SWA is either going to stay somewhat stagnant or even regress a little. There business plan does not allow them to have the most expensive anything for long.

If you are like me (early 30's) you will be able to progress nicely through your career as the majority of pilots were hired here in their early-mid 30's so there won't be a hideous number younger and senior to you. At SWA, unless you are in your mid 20's there will be a LOT of guys younger and senior to you. At AS I am guranteed to end my career in the top 50, at SWA I would be lucky to finish in the top 300.

Good luck

Last edited:
If you are like me (early 30's) you will be able to progress nicely through your career as the majority of pilots were hired here in their early-mid 30's so there won't be a hideous number younger and senior to you. At SWA, unless you are in your mid 20's there will be a LOT of guys younger and senior to you. At AS I am guranteed to end my career in the top 50, at SWA I would be lucky to finish in the top 300.

Good luck

You SURE about that? Also, consider percentages, not #'s. Probably pretty close. SWA average Newhire age = 39.

Does Alaska Air go to Lubbock? If it does NOT, then go to Alaska. (You know I know it doesn't go there. Ah yeah) Seriously, LBB is a sorry town. Fly for Alaska and go see Sitka, AK. It is much prettier and the girls (or girl up there) are cuter.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Yawn .... get a new gig.

Does Alaska Air go to Lubbock? If it does NOT, then go to Alaska. (You know I know it doesn't go there. Ah yeah) Seriously, LBB is a sorry town. Fly for Alaska and go see Sitka, AK. It is much prettier and the girls (or girl up there) are cuter.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Au contrair bonjur! No one knows ladies, like Leon Phelpsth, and let me tell you General...the ladiesth in Lubbock are hotter than a Delta customer stranded in Atlanta...wooooooweeeeeee!!! I mean, I know they don't have hairy armpits about the Parisian ladiesth you so anxiously espousth to luuuuv, but mmmmhmmmm...Lubbock is a HOT BED for young hussies!!!

Now, back to my regularly scheduled glass of courvossier!

Latest resources

Back