• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA or Alaska?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I'm hearing different. My buddy is waiting for a class and he said that the Sep classes aren't confirmed and they may get cancelled. His buddy (who's a check airman) also heard from the PD that this was in anticipation of a "big announcement." And the company is saying that it is in anticipation of a Air Tran merger. (Many SWA execs have been seen in Atlanta recently). So, classes may be a little sketchy for a while.

I'm hoping to get on with Air Tran before any merger since getting stapled to SWA wouldn't be the worst thing.

Calls have already gone out for 2 sept classes so those classes are confirmed. There is rumor of maybe a class in Oct but that one has not been confirmed. Once you get the call you are required to send them a fax of your resignation letter with your CPs fax number on it....These aren't the kind of people that would ask you to quit your current job and then pull the rug out from underneath you..
also i havent heard anything about the company saying anything about a big announcement or an airtran merger nor would i expect to...rumors at best IMO...GoodLuck with your decision

"Tico - guys like you scare me. Replace our negotiating committee with "hired guns"? Why is it that every airline has pilots who think that there are some laywers out there who can run in to save the day at the table. You want to hire tuff guys who know nothing about your job, but will some how be able to know what you want at the table? Replace our people who have been working on this issue 24/7 for nearly a year with some guy from Johnson & Johnson law firm? Sure that will fix it..."

Who do you go to for a tooth ache or to have your prostate checked.....or to build your house or fix your car......and who do those people go to when they need to go to JNU or DCA.....Only pilots are arrogant enough to believe that they can do it all....I am saying put a lawyer accross the table from a lawyer...Play the game the way the oposition plays it....Don't have the farm team play in the superbowl....Get it...That does not mean that the negotiaters that we have would not be there but they should sit second chair when court is in session.....And I am glad that you git er done...so do I as soon as eveyone else gits er done and the door is closed.......

If a merger or acquisition were really in the near future you wouldn't have heard a word about it. When they (SWA Mgt) want to keep a secret, they do.

Does Alaska Air go to Lubbock? If it does NOT, then go to Alaska. (You know I know it doesn't go there. Ah yeah) Seriously, LBB is a sorry town. Fly for Alaska and go see Sitka, AK. It is much prettier and the girls (or girl up there) are cuter.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Last edited:
Great mexican food at a nearby joint with dollar beer, the Buddy Holly museum, and a swimming pool at the Holiday Inn.

I've done LBB a few times. Doesn't suck. Ain't the glamor capital of the world--but then again I've done a few them too. After a while--its just a beer, a steak, and a clean bed. Its knowng your paycheck will clear that helps you sleep at night...

Great mexican food at a nearby joint with dollar beer, the Buddy Holly museum, and a swimming pool at the Holiday Inn.

I've done LBB a few times. Doesn't suck. Ain't the glamor capital of the world--but then again I've done a few them too. After a while--its just a beer, a steak, and a clean bed. Its knowng your paycheck will clear that helps you sleep at night...

That's great and all, but you know that eventually you yourself can bid the MD11 and see the world if you want to. That can't be said at many airlines, having the option that is. And, knowing your paycheck will clear is common at most legacies these days. You should know that, you help people interview at them, right? A boring flight schedule would suk, and you should know that too. And seeing the world on someone else's dime really isn't just a beer, a steak, and a clean bed. It is a smile when you see the name of the city you are going to on the gate. Seeing Paris or Barcellona or Venice just doesn't get old. Now seeing Lubbock, Midland, Amarillo, or Harlingen, that could get old really quick. (especially if it takes 4 or 5 legs to get there first).

But, if it is between SWA and Alaska, I would go to Alaska if you want to live in SEA or PDX, and SWA if you want to live somewhere else. Regardless, you will be flying 737s for the rest of your career it looks like as of now.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Last edited:
Avoid Alaska and go to SWA. If you want international, get your stuff in to Delta - they are hiring 75 per month and many newhires are going directly to the 767ER. Otherwise, go to SWA. Simple as that.

go to Alaska!

Latest resources

Back