SWA or Alaska?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

hyeflyin

Hey guys, I am in the fortunate position of having job offers from both SWA and Alaska. I still got to get the type for SWA and don't know when I will go to class. In regards to Alaska, I should be in class in the next 2 months, however I am looking at a 50% paycut for the first year, and won't return back to my current pay till year 3. Live in SoCal, so no commute eventually for Alaska, however SWA has many flights to LAS or OAK. For the SWA guys, how long do you think this slowdown will last and do you guys have confirmed orders for planes after 2008? I remember reading that SWA wanted to be at 600 planes within the next five years. In regards to Alaska, do you think you guys will catch up to SWA regarding pay and work rules? Where would you guys go if you were given the same opportunity? Sorry for the long post, just trying to figure out what to do. I would greatly appreciate the feedback. Thanks guys.

I keep hearing the same thing as roughneck. I sure hope he is wrong. I know where all the southwest pilots would want all of us… on the street. Take the class date at AS and figure the rest out when you get a SWA date.

I keep hearing the same thing as roughneck. I sure hope he is wrong. I know where all the southwest pilots would want all of us… on the street. Take the class date at AS and figure the rest out when you get a SWA date.
On what do you base that ridiculous assertion??

I know where all the southwest pilots would want all of us… on the street.

I don't know a single SWA pilot who would want anyone to lose their jobs if we bought Alaska. I know a few who would want to staple rather than DOH, but nobody should lose their jobs.

I'd want to staple you , you'd want to staple me. We'd both put on the good fight. The difference is that when the fights over, you take it like a man and move on as a team - not act like a bunch of babies like USAir/Cactus.

Gup

First of all, congrats on being in such a "tough" position.

I have heard fairly reliable rumors that we will continue classes through the end of the year (WN).

If you still have to get the type, I would go ahead and do it now and then get your pool date. Take your class with AK, then decide what's best for you. I will say this though; a good friend of mine at AK is hoping we buy them. Take that for what it's worth.

Best of luck,
CB

I like SWA. Good folks, good company.

I loved Alaska as a passenger. Great service, good crews.

However--putting the two together will ruin a good company. Alaska isn't what it is by being efficient--it was built around service. 30 minute turns to Juneau or Fairbanks won't ever create an "Alaska spirit".

I hope my friends at AK can have profitable and successful careers. I wish my buddies at SWA the same. And I hope they never join--because the loss will be the for the folks who fly on AK.

Good job on getting two jobs....Go buy the type, get a pool position at SWA, accept the job at Alaska and when Southwest calls dont look back....We will never again come anywhere near SWA pay. We do not have the bargaining power and as each day goes by we have less..Alaska has become a rest stop on the career highway....Come here, get some decent 737 training, enjoy your time and head up the road...

We as an airline are slowly having a thermo-nuke meltdown and it has been under way since early 2000. When I got here 7 1/2 years ago it was a decent job but we have had a tremendous leadership void since then and we are just now beginning to see the results of that void....and dont for a minute consider our routes or our equipment or our people as a reason to park here....you will hear that argument but it really comes down to appreciation in the form of cold, hard cash.....Good luck

Latest resources

Back