• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA or Alaska?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
We will never again come anywhere near SWA pay.

That is total horsehockey (tip hat to Col. Potter).

I hate this company even more than the next guy, but the fact is, right now the company appears to be negotiating in good faith. Will we get a deal next week? Absolutely not. But the two sides are meeting just about every week for multiple days. Read the negotiator's update every Friday. Before May 1st, they were openly pessimistic. Since then, they have been sending a distinctly optimistic message about the progress of negotiations. If your above quote refers to the fact that the airplanes are still moving, then I would say that when the negotiating committee sends a message that the company has stopped negotiating in good faith, then my current optimism will quickly erode, as will others I suspect.

take the one that gets you on the payroll first.

SWA. I wouldn't think twice about it. Alaska's future is clouded (who knows who their eventual merger partner will be). SWA will be around for a long, long time. Go to SWA and buy a big house somewhere. However, look forward to working hard - multiple sectors and 20 minute turns will lose their appeal quickly. I'd still go to SWA with that choice.

That is total horsehockey (tip hat to Col. Potter).

I hate this company even more than the next guy, but the fact is, right now the company appears to be negotiating in good faith. Will we get a deal next week? Absolutely not. But the two sides are meeting just about every week for multiple days. Read the negotiator's update every Friday. Before May 1st, they were openly pessimistic. Since then, they have been sending a distinctly optimistic message about the progress of negotiations. If your above quote refers to the fact that the airplanes are still moving, then I would say that when the negotiating committee sends a message that the company has stopped negotiating in good faith, then my current optimism will quickly erode, as will others I suspect.

I beg to differ....They are negotiating in good faith about shizzle that does not even matter unless pay rates and retirement get settled.....one of the oldest ploys in the book.....put months and months of good faith negotiating on the books so that when we balk at the pay and retirement structure they can go to a mediator and cry the blues about how they have tried so hard and if we just keep trying it will happen.....and somewhere in 09 or 10 they suddenly give in and we think that we got something....there is no reason to be optimistic at all...We are being stroked once again.....It is time to replace the negotiating committee with some hired gun labor lawyers and put us on equal footing with their hired guns......

You will not truly know what the best decision is until you graduate at the end. Contracts come and go. Go with what makes you happy.

I have friends at both places. Unless you want to live in a certain base for a certain type of lifestyle go to Southwest. It is a understatment on how well they treat their people. Plus the money is better. Alaska is a very good company too however.

Singlecoil - great post and well said. There is a wealth of information from the weekly negotiators note pad for those who care enough and take the time to read it. We see steady progress each week. As long as that continues, then I "get er done". When steady progress stops, then my attitude changes a wee bit. If we end up in mediation someday, it is far better to go there with everything done except pay. This only gives the mediator / company / ALPA one thing to hash out rather than a laundry list. Like it or not, this is the direction the negotiating comitee is taking.
Tico - guys like you scare me. Replace our negotiating committee with "hired guns"? Why is it that every airline has pilots who think that there are some laywers out there who can run in to save the day at the table. You want to hire tuff guys who know nothing about your job, but will some how be able to know what you want at the table? Replace our people who have been working on this issue 24/7 for nearly a year with some guy from Johnson & Johnson law firm? Sure that will fix it...

First of all, congrats on being in such a "tough" position.

I have heard fairly reliable rumors that we will continue classes through the end of the year (WN).

Best of luck,
CB

I'm hearing different. My buddy is waiting for a class and he said that the Sep classes aren't confirmed and they may get cancelled. His buddy (who's a check airman) also heard from the PD that this was in anticipation of a "big announcement." And the company is saying that it is in anticipation of a Air Tran merger. (Many SWA execs have been seen in Atlanta recently). So, classes may be a little sketchy for a while.

I'm hoping to get on with Air Tran before any merger since getting stapled to SWA wouldn't be the worst thing.

Hey guys, I am in the fortunate position of having job offers from both SWA and Alaska. I still got to get the type for SWA and don't know when I will go to class. In regards to Alaska, I should be in class in the next 2 months, however I am looking at a 50% paycut for the first year, and won't return back to my current pay till year 3. Live in SoCal, so no commute eventually for Alaska, however SWA has many flights to LAS or OAK. For the SWA guys, how long do you think this slowdown will last and do you guys have confirmed orders for planes after 2008? I remember reading that SWA wanted to be at 600 planes within the next five years. In regards to Alaska, do you think you guys will catch up to SWA regarding pay and work rules? Where would you guys go if you were given the same opportunity? Sorry for the long post, just trying to figure out what to do. I would greatly appreciate the feedback. Thanks guys.

I love WN. Its everything I thought it would be. My advice to you is.. DO NOT TAKE CAREER ADVICE FROM ANYONE ON THIS WEBSITE.....

Latest resources

Back