SWA or Alaska?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You will make more money at SWA.

All the airlines are only as good as there current contract. You can never say this without it being a complete wild a$$ guess. FedEx, PanAm, UAL, AA, SWA, they have all been at the bottom and the top. It is a long ride. If you make a decision based on a current short term contract, the only thing I can guarantee is that you will be disappointed.

Thanks guys for all the great feedback. It's good to hear the good and bad for both places. Will help making a decision a little easier. Both of these companies on their own are a great place to be. It's a good situation to be in but it's definitly harder to choose than I thought. It looks like I am not the only one with the same issue. Got a guy on the other board with the same problem. At the end of the day, I just got to do what's best for my family. Thanks guys!

As for Alaska, as a newhire if you want LAX, you will get it. It's a junior base. It's also a co-terminal base, so trips start from Orange Co. too.

You will make more money at SWA.

I've been in LA for close to a year and have only moved up a few numbers. I'll be on reserve for close to two years I'm guessing. If in ANC I could now hold a line. The problem so I'm told is that there is nowhere to grow the base due to lack of gates. Most of all future growth is going to be in ANC.

As for pay....Well all I can say is we'll see. SWA was the bottom paid 737 company pre 9/11 and now that everyone else has taken pay cuts they look pretty good. I think you really need to look at the distant future to decide where you want to be. In 20 years I'm guessing the SWA will be the same airline only larger. I bet Alaska will have merged with a legacy and you will then have a choice of heavy international flying of they same type that we are doing now. I for one never wanted to work as hard at the SWA pilots do and I never applied. But I can say that my friends that are now Capt's at SWA do enjoy the lightened workload and the heafty pay check.

Good luck...Baja.

another thing that no one has mentioned is the major difference between swa and the rest. At swa you, as a pilot, are considered an ASSET. Everywhere else, a liability. the pay is good , but not the most important thing to consider.

At SWA, the pay is great. As Gordon Gecko said, "greed is good". Or, if you want QOL, you can have that, too. They pay you for working hard, not slacking off in a hotel room. I've never seen a hotel room as nice as my own house. I'll pay for my vacations, thank you.

BTW, on pace to make >72k in my 1st year living in domicile. ???'s

Don't get me wrong, it is two different jobs--commuting & living in domicile... With any airline...

As for pay....Well all I can say is we'll see. SWA was the bottom paid 737 company pre 9/11 and now that everyone else has taken pay cuts they look pretty good.

Lets get it right, our pay came up too...

Lets get it right, our pay came up too...

Agreed,

And let's not forget that for the equipment that LUV flies, they are still the highest paid and probably would be regardless of paycuts at the Legacies. LUV does not have heavies so you have to consider that as well. Heavy speculation on my part of course.:nuts:

Wrong… Southwest new contract just has just barely kept up with the cost of living. At best they have right now a three percent raise compaired to there last contract if you factor in inflation. Six years ago Us Airways, United, Delta all were paid back then about 10% more then Southwest is making right now. Four years ago Alaska contract was about 5% above where Southwest’s contract is now The rest of us just suck and Southwest keeps working for the same rate.

Alaska 04 This was middle of the road when it was signed

CA FO

1 184 52
2 185 92
3 186 112
4 188 118
5 189 121
6 190 125
7 191 128
8 192 131
9 194 134
10 195 137