SWA New Work Rules?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

BID

Did you guys just vote on a work rule change? Heard it passed and I am just curious what the details are, etc.

B

Bid,

It's not a permanent work-rule change. The company and union came up with some work rule changes to increase pilot productivity that they'd each like to test. The pilots just agreed to a 6 month test checking some things to include some lines working 1 more day per month for 1 more day of pay, rigging most open time regardless of how it may have gotten split, the ability to work for more pay during a vacation or overlap already payed for, and some other small items that are really not too big of a deal.

This test is supposed to arm the union and the company with better data going into our upcoming section 6. Hopefully, it ends up being a win-win for us and the company (saves the company money and helps the pilots with pay/QOL).

Cautiously optimistic,
shootr

shootr said:
It's not a permanent work-rule change. The company and union came up with some work rule changes to increase pilot productivity that they'd each like to test.

Did the company say what might happen should the "increased productivity" test not result in its intended savings?

Big Beer Belly said:
Did the company say what might happen should the "increased productivity" test not result in its intended savings?

It automatically sunsets in six months. If it doesnt work for both of us (company and union) it is not extended and doesnt become part of our next contract.

Last edited:
Yes, BBB we just lost a day off every month. about 30% of our pilot union voted. It won't go beyond the 6 months when people see their days off tick away.

shootr said:
Bid,

It's not a permanent work-rule change. The company and union came up with some work rule changes to increase pilot productivity that they'd each like to test. The pilots just agreed to a 6 month test checking some things to include some lines working 1 more day per month for 1 more day of pay, rigging most open time regardless of how it may have gotten split, the ability to work for more pay during a vacation or overlap already payed for, and some other small items that are really not too big of a deal.

This test is supposed to arm the union and the company with better data going into our upcoming section 6. Hopefully, it ends up being a win-win for us and the company (saves the company money and helps the pilots with pay/QOL).

Cautiously optimistic,
shootr

"Not too big of a deal"

Are you insane or just really senior? Losing a day off per month really affects the junior guys but as usual the senior guys around here only care for themselves.

Attn: the sky is falling, the sky is falling at Southwest!!!

Some lines are going to be beefier for the guys who want to work more..... no one took a day from you pal. I think its 10% of the lines.... so 430 pilots or so will have an extra day on their line, these are the guys that add a day to their line anyway....so now they will not have to do it. Just bid correctly.

7 posts there 7s3w7a....all have something in common, they are all negative, there is no way you work here at SWA?

Last edited:
7S3W7A said:
"Not too big of a deal"

Are you insane or just really senior? Losing a day off per month really affects the junior guys but as usual the senior guys around here only care for themselves.

You're certainly entitled to your opinion sir/maam and while the work rule changes will increase the workload for some junior pilots (for 100 lines, 7 or 8 pilots will have to work an additional day of flying on their regular line), the agreed upon side letter also allows more flying to be put in open time for everyone to choose from to fly more...others will have that opportunity to fly more. I will grant you that not everyone can give away days of flying since someone must pick it up, the "test" will show us two different ways to skin the cat, so to speak. The ability to trade down trips will still be there for folks so whether the 7 or 8 pilots who get extra flying actually fly extra isn't pre-ordained with the system we have...wouldn't you agree?

I was junior once also, if we were a company that wasn't growing I would have concerns....all of our plights are improving, junior, mid-level & senior pilots...that is a good thing I think you would agree. Just as reserve isn't a great deal (we can make it better in the next contract I believe), one doesn't stay there forever.

As for your comments that the senior folks only care for themselves...if that is your perception of the pilot group at SWA let me respectfully disagree with you. I'm not an "old-head", long time flyer here but I have seen the mentality you described, "me-tooism" at all levels of seniority...that doesn't mean I would paint the broad brush that all SWA pilots are that way. I've also seen from all levels of seniority a team spirit that is rather unique (I've never been anywhere else but from others who have, they tell me it is unique) among the airline industry. I believe your disparaging of the group serves no useful purpose & if you are indeed a pilot for SWA then with all due respect, you've painted yourself with the same broad brush of "give me mine now"....not exactly a trait any of us wish to have applied I believe. I don't believet that was your intended outcome of your post but it certainly could be interpreted that way.

I personally felt there was enough justification that either side could argue the pros or the cons for either supporting or not voting for the SL...it isn't black or white. Disparaging those who did is just as wrong as disparaging those who didn't support it in my opinion. It's past, it got voted on, the process worked (I wish more had voted though as you do also I"m sure), lets work with it & see what comes of it....the jury is still out so lets let it run its course. But again, it's only my opinion. My best fellow SWA FO. cheers...

Last edited:
7S3W7A said:
"Not too big of a deal"

7S3W7A,

Senior? No.

How did I vote? "NO!" as many times as I could. Did you vote? Did you try to convince guys to vote "no" before the vote was over?

Am I insane? Don't know for sure but I'm not a Koolie nor a militant PPruner and I don't think this will be a big deal for the next 6 months and if it $ucks we can get rid of it. If guys have to work the extra day, they'll get the extra pay. I'm willing to bet some of these new lines will go senior. The sky is not falling and I'm willing to abide by the majority of guys who cared enough to vote on this issue. I'll bet my Jan-Jun lines are better than my Dec line!

BTW, did you read my post? The "no big deal" was aimed at the other stuff, not the extra day of work you appear to have a problem with.

Good luck all,
shootr

Latest resources

Back