• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA Intel

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
We were heading to Hawaii in January and I heard a SWA callsign from ATC. I said "Did I hear that right, was that SWA?"

SWA Pilot: "Yep, proving runs. I guess the cat is out of the bag"

Brief conversation followed but, I heard it with my own ears. I actually figured this was old news by now.

Ha-ha . . . .

Well, you weren't in the Wafflewagon, the Sabreliner, or the EMB145. :laugh:

WTF is a waffle wagon?LOL!

The mighty Westwind . . . the aircraft formerly known as the Rockwell Jet Commander, which morphed into the Westwind, which morphed into the Astra . . . and now hails as the Gulfstream G100.

Not a bad jet, but I wouldn't want to go to Hawaii in it without ferry tanks.

The mighty Westwind . . . the aircraft formerly known as the Rockwell Jet Commander, which morphed into the Westwind, which morphed into the Astra . . . and now hails as the Gulfstream G100.

Not a bad jet, but I wouldn't want to go to Hawaii in it without ferry tanks.

Ahhhhhhhh yes! The -II was a great plane too!

We were heading to Hawaii in January and I heard a SWA callsign from ATC. I said "Did I hear that right, was that SWA?"

SWA Pilot: "Yep, proving runs. I guess the cat is out of the bag"

Brief conversation followed but, I heard it with my own ears. I actually figured this was old news by now.

How can you do ETOPS proving runs before an ETOPS program is even completed, or approved? How can you do proving runs without interaction with Mx Control or dispatch? Why would you do proving runs with an aircraft on a route that you won't be using it on?

Who said none of it is complete. Just because you may not know does not mean it is not done. SWA is very secretive with what they do.

Who said none of it is complete. Just because you may not know does not mean it is not done. SWA is very secretive with what they do.

So, we're reinventing the wheel and turning the normal routine completely backwards and operating proving runs BEFORE the entire ETOPS training program is completed. What is the benefit in that? Also, why do proving runs if we're not going to be operating ETOPS flights for at least 1.5 years?

We're operating flights to/from HI without flight releases (req for even Pt 91 flts here)? That's new.

Last edited:
Apparently SWA has a very good working relationship with their POI and the FAA in general. They get a lot of things through that others either can’t or don’t think of. The tid -bits that we are getting about transition training has several scratching their heads wondering how they got that approved.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back